Icom Id-880h vs yaesu ft-8800r

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blacksheep

Icom Id-880h vs yaesu ft-8800r

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:15 am

Looking for a good dual band, have 2 options... Opinions?

I'm looking to use this primarily in a portable ham shack pelican case
(Maybe auto, but secondary)

Yaesu ft-8800r
Pros
Xband repeat
Dual watch
Common?

Cons
Goofy 2 volume and squelch knobs
Limited mic controls
Non back lit control head buttons

Icom ID-880h
Pros
D-star
Enhanced controls on mic
Better looks lol

Cons
No dual watch

I'm leaning towards the icom
I really don't like the multiple volume and squelch knobs on the yaesu
And I love the enhanced controls on icom Mics
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

pir8p3t3

Re: Icom Id-880h vs yaesu ft-8800r

Post by pir8p3t3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:48 am

FWIW - My Alinco has dual squelch and volume. Well it did until it died anyway. I have been looking for a new unit as well and can tell you from personal experience, that while the dual volume and squelch seemed weird at first, it does come in handy when you are listening to two frequencies at once, and need to silence one or the other quickly. All of that is just personal preference really.

As far as D-STAR goes, and I know this may open a can of worms, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but unless you are in an area that has D-STAR setup, which is very limited currently, I would not necessarily call that a Pro. It's more a feature that you may never fully be able to utilize. Again just my opinion. I was leaning heavily toward the Kenwood TM-D710G because of the APRS feature, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost. The Yeasu FT-8800R is actually on my short list and I looked at the ICOM, but again, being able to see both frequencies in the display at the same time is something that has come in handy for me on multiple occasions.

Pete

Return to “Communications”