Emergency Crystal Set Ideas

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rpc

Emergency Crystal Set Ideas

Post by rpc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:25 pm

I think this is more of academic interest, but I suppose in the ZPAW, knowing how to make a crystal set might be of interest. Here's a 1943 article on constructing emergency radio receivers, meaning mostly crystal sets.

http://onetuberadio.com/2014/11/15/emer ... iode-tube/

The article does contain two really cool ideas. One of them is how to make a diode vacuum tube out of a dual-filament light bulb. The other is a method of receiving CW on a crystal set.

offcamber

Re: Emergency Crystal Set Ideas

Post by offcamber » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:42 am

Cool stuff, thanks for the link.

My dad bought me a Radio Shack crystal radio kit for christmas one year when I was a kid. Had a lot of fun with it.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:50 pm

rpc wrote:I think this is more of academic interest, but I suppose in the ZPAW, knowing how to make a crystal set might be of interest. Here's a 1943 article on constructing emergency radio receivers, meaning mostly crystal sets.

The article does contain two really cool ideas. One of them is how to make a diode vacuum tube out of a dual-filament light bulb. The other is a method of receiving CW on a crystal set.

Also in the way-back machine; I recall seeing plans for a set using a Gillette blue blade (?) double edge razor blade. Anybody else recall this? :?

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Mad Mike wrote:Also in the way-back machine; I recall seeing plans for a set using a Gillette blue blade (?) double edge razor blade. Anybody else recall this? :?
Yes I saw this, not sure where, perhaps the book "The Boy Electrician" but I never could get it to work.

Rancher

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
rpc wrote:I think this is more of academic interest, but I suppose in the ZPAW, knowing how to make a crystal set might be of interest. Here's a 1943 article on constructing emergency radio receivers, meaning mostly crystal sets.

Also in the way-back machine; I recall seeing plans for a set using a Gillette blue blade (?) double edge razor blade. Anybody else recall this? :?
Foxhole radio.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:47 pm

TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:09 pm

ghost792 wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:

Foxhole radio.

That's it - thanks! :clap:

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 pm

gary in ohio

Post by gary in ohio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 pm

crystals sets are fun to build but are limited to AM broadcast band and if your near a big city getting any freq separation is difficult.

Return to “Communications”