desperately need advice on buying my 1st ham radio.

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angel1

desperately need advice on buying my 1st ham radio.

Post by angel1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 am

all I know is I do not want a radio that is made in China and I'm not interested in one with GPS. I would like to spend under $1500. any help woul

d be very much appreciated !!!!

CitizenZ

Re: desperately need advice on buying my 1st ham radio.

Post by CitizenZ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:55 pm

The big companies are mostly made in Japan. Yeasu, ICOM, Kenwood, Alinco. Elcraft and Tentec are made in America.

What class of license do you have or what type of radio are you looking for? I believe that the new Yeasu all band that is about to be released is inside your budget but you will still need antennas, tuner, power supply and other accessories. I would suggest a radio in the $500-$1000 range and the rest for the other stuff.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

angel1

Post by angel1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:02 pm

thank you for your response, I am looking for an all band radio. are you familiar enough with the American brands to recommend one. I was assuming all the newer ones had GPS capability, which I definitely do not want.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:33 pm

What class of license do you have?

I don't know of any American made all band radios. None also have GPS that I know of.
A popular first all band radio is the Yeasu 857. That would still leave you with enough in your budget for the needed PS, antennas, coax and remote tuner. (Edit... no radio will really do all of the Amateur bands. There are almost 2 dozen different bands from medium wave through microwave)

I started with a multi-band hand held FM tranceiver (Yeasu VX5) and a decent SW/AM/SSB receiver (Grundig G3). Bought a few ARRL books and learned to build my own antennas. Then later saved up for a modern HF/SSB radio (ICOM 7200) plus remote tuner.

I can't emphasize enough the need to spend as much on the extras (antennas, coax, PS, etc) as the radio. Any radio is useless without a good antenna. An all band requires several antennas and multiple coax lines.
Last edited by CitizenZ on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

angel1

Post by angel1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 pm

thank you so much .I am still in the process of getting my license. yeah that's what I've been reading is the Yaesu 857, I bid on one on ebay for a few days but lost it yesterday. thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me and all the awesome advice !!!!

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Don't buy from flea bay. Go to QRZ.com. Take the practice tests and then buy from the sale forum or better yet buy new. With your budget you can buy new. Also IMO the ARRL books are worth the money. Start with the RF, antenna and operator handbooks.

angel1

Post by angel1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 pm

thank you so much I will order those books and will check out qrz.com. a kind of off the subject do you know anything about multi fuel engines. understand the M 35 truck is , but I am being told that the 1988 diesel engine in a Land Rover you can pour the same things down that you can pour down a multi engine m35.

medic photog

Post by medic photog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I can say from experience you will be happy with a Yaesu FT857D. I have two, one in the truck and one sitting next to me with the FP-1030A power supply, an LDG YT-100 antenna tuner. and MFJ 874 SWR/power meter. It's a great mobile and base radio. It can be programmed either manually, by computer, or cloned off another 857. There's a ton of options in the radio and the learning curve can be a little steep at times, but once you get used to the menus and what does what you'll be very satisfied.

angel1

Post by angel1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Thank you again.

Uncle Chan

Post by Uncle Chan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:06 am

I've the FT-897d. Great tank of a radio. I would like a 817 and 857 too and will eventually get one of each. Menus can be a challenge, but once you get them set, you won't be tweaking them much after that...most likely.

PrairieRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Hide and Creep", redneck humor in a hick town.

Post by PrairieRat » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Pass the exam first & read product reviews.
Survived 20+ yrs without computer interface/menus, but I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the hobby.
If your into some of the more tech sides they might be OK; but for a dinosaur like me it'd be wasted.
I've used a plain Jane IC-707 since '99 and have been very happy with it on SSB & CW. Now that my ears are ageing faster than the rest of me I need narrow filters, but upgrading the ICom would cost as much as purchasing a new Alinco DXSR8.
The Alinco comes with narrow filters AND 60m, which the ICom doesn't have. I've also heard several on the air & they sound sweet. This is my next purchase.
Why survive with a knife, when you can thrive with an axe?
wy7ac

adelgado7

Post by adelgado7 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 pm

I'll 2nd the Icom IC-706 or if you can afford it's replacement, the IC-7000. Either will cover all the frequencies you could ask for. I've used the 706 both mobile and in the house. A great radio. Follow the advice already posted here: go to qrz.com and take Rd he practice tests. Get your Tech License and keep an eye out for a good used rig on qrz.com or eham.net.

73 DE KE5EXX

angel1

Post by angel1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 pm

thank you so much for all the advice. it was a huge help!!!

Return to “Communications”