Fox hunting

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Burncycle

Fox hunting

Post by Burncycle » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:00 pm

I don't know much about it, but it seems like it could be lots of fun! Does anyone here do it?

JT42

Re: Fox hunting

Post by JT42 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:18 pm

I have, both regular fox hunting as a friendly contest / group activity with a local radio club, and by myself to help locate model rockets equipped with tracking beacons. I also tracked down a erroneously configured ham radio setup once, and also a pirate radio station on the FM broadcast band once, just for fun.

There's definitely and art to it, in addition to the science behind it. It's fun, though, and doesn't require a lot of expensive equipment.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:25 am

A few months ago we had a presentation on Radio Direction Finding AKA fox hunting; at my local ham club. It's pretty damn impressive what a good fox hunter can do. Around here the low power transmitters are placed miles away. In some fox hunts people had to be out all day because the transmitter was so far away. It's amazing what a little skill and a decent antenna can do. I haven't gotten into fox hunting yet, but it looks simple enough. All you need is a directional antenna and a radio with an S meter. From there it's all skill. Here is the basic idea from what I remember from the presentation.

The main trick is triangulation. You get on a high point; point your yagi around till the transmitters signal is strongest. Mark a line on a map in the direction the yagi was pointed. Repeat the procedure at 2 or 3 other locations. Where the lines on the map converge is roughly where the transmitter is.

I am thinking of picking up the ARRL's book on Radio Direction Finding. RDF is a good skill to have. At the presentation the guy talked about tracking down people causing interference. I also read about a guy in Belgium tracking interference to his HF station. In some of those cases the interference was faulty wiring that was a fire hazard.

Here are the plans for a 2 element, 2 meter yagi made from rabbit ears.

http://www.fvarc.org/sites/default/file ... 0Beams.pdf

I have been playing around a little with that design but haven't gotten it working right. That sort of antenna would be great for RDF. It would also be nice to give your HT a little boost. Other compact options are yagi's made from PVC pipe and tape measure for the elements.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:29 am

Is this what you mean??

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:36 pm

As a kid, I started off with a cb, playing fox hint with friends. I learned about propagation and polarization, and basic RF. fast forward 12 years later, and I'm a trained P25 systems technician. I basic all turned a hobby of radio into a career. Direction finding is still one of my favorite things to do, we had a stuck transmitter somewhere on VHF about a month ago tying up the input to a paging repeater, and we used good ol fox hunting to find it. I had a blast!
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:03 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Is this what you mean??

That just got saved to my archives. Thank you. You made my day :D
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Communications”