yaesu VX8-R

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

medic photog

yaesu VX8-R

Post by medic photog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:39 am

Sitting here at the station playing with the HT and trying to get comfortable with manual programming it. It's a snap with the software and cable but a royal pain with just these damn tiny buttons. I want to load the GMRS frequencies but either I'm doing something wrong or it won't load frequencies just to monitor. Anyone have any experience with these units? It is much nicer than a Baofeng, but the price difference is another matter

medic photog

Re: yaesu VX8-R

Post by medic photog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:43 am

And no, I have no idea why this topic posted twice. Any moderator feel like removing the other one?

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:51 am

I love my Yaesu's (I have a VX-5R AND AN -817) BUT THE MENUING WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS.

There is a cottage industry for cheat sheets and simplified manuals - rather than the 140 page monster that comes with the -8R. May be worth your time to look at the several offerings.

Enjoy - it took me just long enough to get the programming software to get my rig set up for SATCOM work.

Good luck.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

medic photog

Post by medic photog » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 am

TacAir wrote:Image

I love my Yaesu's (I have a VX-5R AND AN -817) BUT THE MENUING WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS.

There is a cottage industry for cheat sheets and simplified manuals - rather than the 140 page monster that comes with the -8R. May be worth your time to look at the several offerings.

Enjoy - it took me just long enough to get the programming software to get my rig set up for SATCOM work.

Good luck.
I've got an 857 and the vx8rdg besides the Boefeng. I picked those up for both units when I ordered them along with the programming software and cables. I still can't figure out why it won't accept the GMS frequencies just to monitor since I followed the info step by step. I'll try again today and if it still doesn't work I'll load them in the sofware yonight.

medic photog

Post by medic photog » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:18 am

Ah, got it. Dumb move on my part, nothing new there.

Return to “Communications”