Manual mini-jack (3.5mm) switch?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vahtryn

Manual mini-jack (3.5mm) switch?

Post by vahtryn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:34 am

Does anyone have a good one that they like? I could always buy the parts and make one but I'm being lazy on that project because I still haven't replaced my soldering iron/station after tool theft.

I'm looking to be able to switch between three mini jack items in my vehicle so idealy this would fit in that little plastic cubby. underneath your stereo. Bonus points if it can work as a "hub" so multiple signals can go through the output.

Input items:
[*]HAM radio
[*]CB radio
[*]Scanner

Output items:
[*]5watt external amp/speaker

Driving my truck it gets stupid loud. The speaker in my CB ain't loud enough for me to really hear and I don't want to have to turn off my music. Same goes for the scanner.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Re: Manual mini-jack (3.5mm) switch?

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:35 pm

If you want one that's switchable and can multiplex signals, you're probably going to have to build your own.

The only way I can think to do it off the top of my head would be to have an on-off switch for each input, with the output of each switch muxed to the input of your amplifier.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:33 pm

I need one too! but think you/we are going to have to make.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:53 pm

I've already started getting my list of parts. Of course this project has become something much larger. I'll post up the list of crap once I have it all and of course pictures.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 pm

This project definitely grown. I'm building a beaglebone black carputer and swapping out my head unit with one that has a touch screen for the beagle to access. What's the beagle for? Music of course but also SDR as well as GPS. I'm sure other things will be added in just for shits and giggles.

Return to “Communications”