It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Many of you have heard me bemoaning the lack of decent MURS radios for sale, because to date, the only radios I knew about were those super-crappy Dakota Alert radios.

I was bouncing around a radio site today and was pleasantly surprised to see Motorola has 2 MURS units for sale that are built on their LMR chassis, the RDM2020 and RDM2050:

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... m2020.aspx

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... m2050.aspx

Kinda spendy, but if you want to do MURS legally instead of using your Wouxun, these look like the best units around.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Considering the cost, is there really any point? It would be cheaper and easier to go with FRS or just get your ham license. These radios have a form of encryption/scrambling on them. So provided that it's legal to use encryption on MURS, it might be worth it. Of course the encryption isn't 100% secure. Here is what it says regarding that feature

Quote:
The voice scrambling feature garble your transmissions, allowing you to have conversations that are more private and secure. In order to use the voice scramble feature, all members of your group must have radios supporting this feature. This feature does not guarantee secrecy, as someone with a similar radio could hear your conversations, but it does add an extra layer of privacy.

So if someone else thought to pick up one of those radios, they could listen in. But it would keep people with scanners and BaoFeng radios from listening in.

So I am not sure these radios are worth it; that's what my ham license is for. But it's good to know that there are decent and legal options for MURS

Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:05 am 

They look good. Motorola LMS radios are bomb proof. 2 watts output compared to 1/2 watt for FRS, legal privacy scrambling, and nobody uses the MURS band.

I'm not in the market for them right now but I will keep them in mind for the future.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:25 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Purple_Mutant wrote:
Considering the cost, is there really any point? It would be cheaper and easier to go with FRS or just get your ham license.

2W VHF works a whole lot better than the half-watt of UHF you get on FRS. In my experience, 2W of VHF works better in the woods than a blister-pack GMRS radio , even at full power.

MURS does one very important thing you can't do with a ham radio: It lets non-licensed people talk on it. I know plenty of people with zero interest in radio as a hobby , or learning about the technology beyond how to operate the radio, who want a simple and robust comm system. Hell, the vast majority of cops I know rely on radios every day and dislike ham radio as a hobby, but would be interested in tough license-free radios.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

crypto wrote:
MURS does one very important thing you can't do with a ham radio: It lets non-licensed people talk on it. I know plenty of people with zero interest in radio as a hobby , or learning about the technology beyond how to operate the radio, who want a simple and robust comm system. Hell, the vast majority of cops I know rely on radios every day and dislike ham radio as a hobby, but would be interested in tough license-free radios.

That there is something to be said for legal unlicensed operation. At some point I plan on getting a set of blister pack FRS/GMRS radios. It would give me something I can hand my mom so she could talk to me. Once I get around to assembling a GHB for my mom, a set blister pack radios is going in.

Acronyms

My photography and art

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:43 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Theres a website I used to have bookmarked (sorry in advance for not having it anymore) that actually did ERP tests and propagation maps for a bunch of blister-pack radios to try to puzzle out who's full of shit and who isn't with respect to their numbers.

In my own anecdotal experience, midland has the most durable of the blisterpack radios, but I really hate how they make up channels.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:46 am 

Scrambling is not prohibited in the MURS. So yes, you can do it.

As for going with a personal radio service just so lazy or uninterested parties in the the family (or whatever) can communicate without having to pass an exam.... I have recently changed my mind about making such accommodation. Not that anyone asked me but let's just put this out there.... If you go with some pissy low power, highly restrictive radio service just so someone in the fam doesn't have to take a test, do you think that after doing so they will ever, ever, ever be motivated to take the test? In my own experience, the answer is NO.
They were going to do it up to the point I gave them a flippin MURs radio then after then it was "why don't we just keep using those walky talkies?"

In many cases they want to talk to you just as much as you want to talk to them, so let them put forth the minimal effort required to get licensed. I've heard my share of incredibly stupid people on the bands over the years. Everything from meth addicts and just really unintelligent people who managed to get licensed. So in my case, the people operating radios are sort of the elite. I'm not going to go out of my way to pay MORE for some piece of shit made-in-china low power radio with pages of restrictions and possibly pay an insane amount for a GMRS license. If you want to talk on the radio and be part of the elite, there is plenty of assistance to accomplish that easily, interest or no interest in actually making it a hobby. If you don't, then have fun using mirrors and smoke signals cuz that's all you're gonna have.

That's just my new take on it. Again, nobody asked for it, just some food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:22 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'll be completely honest, I seldom use my ham ticket mostly because I run into people like you on the amateur bands. Not that you asked for it, just some food for thought.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

crypto wrote:
I'll be completely honest, I seldom use my ham ticket mostly because I run into people like you on the amateur bands. Not that you asked for it, just some food for thought.

It's unfortunate that you run across not so good people on the air. Around here on 2 meters most people are pretty nice. The only major exception is one guy who likes to talk politics. That guy has had multiple notices from the FCC. I was told to stay way from him. As for HF, I haven't had any real problems. I don't do much rag chewing on HF. I also don't have an 80 meter antenna. Which in some respects is good. I had heard about happenings on 80. Well one day I spun the dial over to 80 to listen in. Sure enough, a few seconds after picking up a signal I was hearing foul language.

I am thankful that my experience with amateur radio has been overall positive. Ham is great for emergencies and it can be quite fun.

Acronyms

My photography and art

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:09 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I see the MURS being helpful where i work. We use walkie talkies to chat between the front office ,the 2 work shops, loading docks , warehouse, and the other plant we have across the street. The walkies are not all that good , half the time someone is out of range or outside and cant hear being called. That and we do get trucks running down the roads and catch CB chatter. Nothing like a bad word free office that's half silent then " buzz hey mother fucker where you headed to buzz ". We do get fired if we say fuck at work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 am 

Purple_Mutant wrote:
The only major exception is one guy who likes to talk politics. That guy has had multiple notices from the FCC.

For talking politics?
That's funny because since when is talking politics against the fcc rules? I don't remember that one being on the exam.

People often assume that politics and religion and profanity and a range of other topics are not allowed just because it may be taboo on a club repeater but it's not against the rules and HF is laden with it. Hate to break it to you folks but there's CBers in ham radio too. Not that talking politics or swearing makes someone a CBer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Well, you're 2/3's right :D Section 113(a)4 still prohibits obscenities on public airwaves, so that's right out. The local guys on my 2m repeaters don't talk about anything except prostates, weather, and computer problems. And the HF I've been on has been full of self-appointed air marshals who all make a sport of ratting on each other to FCC and alternately digging up personal details about their rivals and reading them over the air.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:05 pm 

crypto wrote:
Well, you're 2/3's right :D Section 113(a)4 still prohibits obscenities on public airwaves, so that's right out. The local guys on my 2m repeaters don't talk about anything except prostates, weather, and computer problems. And the HF I've been on has been full of self-appointed air marshals who all make a sport of ratting on each other to FCC and alternately digging up personal details about their rivals and reading them over the air.

Are you talking to me?

If so, I am 100% right, not 66.6666667% right.
I didn't mention anything about obscenity and luckily the FCC makes a clear distinction between profanity and obscenity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Do tell. I'm interested in your opinion of how going through Carlins 7 words on the air is a legal profanity and not a FCC-prohibited obscenity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am 

crypto wrote:
Do tell. I'm interested in your opinion of how going through Carlins 7 words on the air is a legal profanity and not a FCC-prohibited obscenity.

i do not think "piss" or "tits" are still considered obscene by the FCC, they are used on broadcast TV.
"fuck" and "shit" have also been on air, and not considered obscene due to context.
see "Later use of the words" for examples
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirt ... #The_words

also you can be obscene with out being profane.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:25 am 

crypto wrote:

My opinion? Since when do you want my opinion?

Didn't you just get through saying...
crypto wrote:

Um yeah. Nothing personal, but instead of wasting time educating you with information that is available on the Internet doing a search with your favorite search engine or searching the FCC website directly, when you clearly aren't interested in what I have to say, I think I'll use this time to get on the radio instead. Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 am 

I will address a few posts here. Found this looking for a MURS sales link for a friend.

1. No one uses MURS? Not true, it is well used but by more serious users than the average family with idiot kids yelling into radios and using them as toys. Most of the MURS users are not talkers they use it more like a business radio than a toy so you will encounter far less traffic and stupidity that FRS/GMRS since the Morons in China ignore our laws and produce a FRS radio with GMRS. The Chinese have now ruined GMRS forever.

2. scrambling? Speech inversion is simple to hack for even a determined 12 year old. I use tactical language and it is far easier to work into a group than trying to use break a minute Chinese junk radios. yes even the Chinese have a junk class of products. Not to say anything they make is exceptional. WUOXON is a pretty good Chinese radio I have a few and was pretty surprised at how well they work.

3. Profanity is still very illegal people still get busted and pay heavy fines, yes the number of incidences is down and the FCC is a joke today.

4. Amateur licenses are great but... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't serious, we have enough former CB'ers morons on Ham/Amateur radio. If you are the serious type Amateur radio can be a great tool, but getting others to learn for a week or two to get tested is a long road as most Americans are too damn lazy.

5. CB radio still works and CB radios are dirt cheap today, so that is an option if you live away from any inner city ghetto where CB is more a contest of manhood who can be louder than you stupidity. Where I now live CB radio is used but few people use it anymore, so it is like it was in the late 1960's when I got involved. If you decide on CB radio I strongly suggest SSB/Single sideband radios they are far superior to AM mode.

I hope this helps..

Now who I am...

I am a retired Lead Engineer for a large telephone company now retired, my experience is radio frequency operations such as microwave, VHF UHF to name a few..
I Ran a tactical security operation, my company did work for Nuclear power plants and other Government operations, I ran a full Tactical SRT operation. All of my employees are/were US Military Tactical operators, Police Tactical operators who worked for me as a second income. Former Force Recon, 82nd airborne, and MAC SOG operators to name a few worked for my company licensed by the Michigan State Police. Some employees worked for large city SRT teams...
I am also a Amateur General class got both my tech and General days apart would have gotten both th4 same day but had to travel 600 miles round trip just to get one so time was limited. I am now retired and live within minutes of the Mackinac bridge and Lake Superior and enjoying not being in the inner city of Detroit anymore.

I still in retirement work as a volunteer for the US Military as a radio operator. I won't get into this part any further.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:40 am 

By HF you mean mostly 75/80 meters which has become the home of the retard former CB'ers who got into CB radio because of the song Convoy.. I don't mind them reporting abusers of Amateur to the FCC but the stupid getting revenge crap is typical CB radio stupidity.

The prostate talk we call the Code blue people.. They talk about their last heart attack, the hemorrhoids they have ect Or they have a frequency If I remember is the badger weather channel where these 80 year olds spend half the day repeating their weather conditions. Drives me nuts.

it is always a rule to never talk about your personal life on the air, it invites the bored idiots to trash talk you.

I never thought I would want to get my Extra class license up here but I am now considering it just to get away from the fools. I blame the FCC for how bad radio has gotten in the USA. They literally do nothing anymore except suck the a$$es of the big commercial radio operations.

I for the most part if I am on the Amateur bands use the 17 meter band, but even that now has stupid moronic contesters thinking it is fine to contest there wtf? They are one scum point under the CB radios retards on Amateur radio. I despise the contest stupidity it has destroyed Amateur radio.

crypto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 am 

MURS blows away FRS/GMRS and I used to have a GMRS repeater in Detroit.

Rednex wrote:
I see the MURS being helpful where i work. We use walkie talkies to chat between the front office ,the 2 work shops, loading docks , warehouse, and the other plant we have across the street. The walkies are not all that good , half the time someone is out of range or outside and cant hear being called. That and we do get trucks running down the roads and catch CB chatter. Nothing like a bad word free office that's half silent then " buzz hey mother fucker where you headed to buzz ". We do get fired if we say fuck at work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:45 am 

if he got notices from the FCC it isn't about politics that has never been prohibited and will never be. I wish people would check their facts before spreading misinformation.

Purple_Mutant wrote:
crypto wrote:

It's unfortunate that you run across not so good people on the air. Around here on 2 meters most people are pretty nice. The only major exception is one guy who likes to talk politics. That guy has had multiple notices from the FCC. I was told to stay way from him. As for HF, I haven't had any real problems. I don't do much rag chewing on HF. I also don't have an 80 meter antenna. Which in some respects is good. I had heard about happenings on 80. Well one day I spun the dial over to 80 to listen in. Sure enough, a few seconds after picking up a signal I was hearing foul language.

I am thankful that my experience with amateur radio has been overall positive. Ham is great for emergencies and it can be quite fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:25 pm 

Okay, I know this thread is ancient now, but there are still very few options for legal MURS radios out there, so I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm selling one of the few FCC Certified MURS radios on the market now (TERA TR-505), and it's way cheaper than the Moto. I don't want to spam here, so hit me if you want the link. Cheers! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:03 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bailenforcer wrote:
if he got notices from the FCC it isn't about politics that has never been prohibited and will never be. I wish people would check their facts before spreading misinformation.

Purple_Mutant wrote:
crypto wrote:

Yea it wasn't for taking politics. If I remember right one notice was for engine noise on his mobile or some such. That guy has been kicked off repeaters.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Acronyms

My photography and art