Ham Shack 1962

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neville

Ham Shack 1962

Post by Neville » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm putting together my first communication ensemble.

I just received today the final piece (well, is there ever REALLY a final piece?) for the circa 1962 Hallicrafter's radio station I'm assembling. It's "last" in that it's the last piece required to get the gear up and running.

This latest acquisition is an R-48 loudspeaker. Ironically, this simplest piece of gear cost me the most out of any of the devices. They're uncommon to find in excellent condition.

(These are not actual photos of my gear, but are generally representative)

Hallicrafters R-48 Loudspeaker

Hallicrafters HT-40 Transmitter

Hallicrafters SX-140 Ham Band Receiver

Halicrafters S-107 Shortwave Band Receiver

Turners 253 "Lo-Z" Microphone

Of course the last item pictured, the Turners 253 "Lo-Z" microphone, was not a standard issue piece with this gear. Regardless, I thought the styling was epically representative of that milieu and so I will devise an adapter for it. There was no way it was not getting included in this project!

Hopefully I'll have a pic up soon of all my actual gear, together as it will look when I've finished restoring all the units for actual use.

This setup would have been terrific for installation in your backyard bomb shelter for staying in touch with your topside contacts during that pesky Cuban Missile crisis!

Neville

Re: Ham Shack 1962

Post by Neville » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Like I said in my opening post in this thread... Is there ever a "final" piece?

I spotted an auction for an HT-37 transmitter and an SX-111 receiver. Also (couldn't resist) plunked down on a SX-110 receiver which has been perfectly restored.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/ ... SX-111.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I guess I can retire the HT-40 and SX-140 to "backup reserve" status.

Got my hands on a KW-107 SuperMatch antenna tuner/dummy load... although not of the same era, it is a good style match for the Hallicrafters gear - and just received a Buxcom 40/20/10 windom antenna. Said to work fine on 80m with antenna tuner.

And, what's all this stuff, without somewhere to put it and use it? Aha! A Bench! Here's some of the gear on it...

Last but certainly not least... I scored my technician's license this past wednesday evening!

BTW there are some new questions on the exam... here are a few that nearly stumped me!

Neville

Post by Neville » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Sorry, the above pic of the HT-37 transmitter and SX-111 receiver is provided as a link due to size constraints.

Anyway, the above two posts were written by me months ago when I was just getting under way. Since then, I have acquired my technician license and just recently completed work on the bench area (the bench itself). I have a few very small parts on order which are at this moment en-route and hopefully I should be officially "on the air" within a week or two.

It is the culmination of an ambition that was probably two years in the making. What can I say, life gets in the way! LOL.

Hope to "see you on the radio" soon.

KK6BIQ

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for sharing.
BIG Congrats on putting together your first communication ensemble!
How very exciting :D
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

stark

Post by stark » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Awesome! Love my Hallicrafters. you can see my s-20r and s-38c here: http://kc0tfi.blogspot.com/search/label ... estoration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stark

Post by stark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 pm

So have you gotten that HT-40 on the air yet?

I picked one up of ebay the other day, collecting parts I need know(crystals, mic, antenna) to get mine on the air.

Neville

Post by Neville » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:22 pm

stark wrote:So have you gotten that HT-40 on the air yet?

I picked one up of ebay the other day, collecting parts I need know(crystals, mic, antenna) to get mine on the air.
Not yet. It will be the HT-73 and SX-110 starting out. Maybe by this weekend. I need a 12v source for the tx/rx RF switch. Have a lot of personal and professional committments between now and then. We'll see.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:50 pm

love the old gear. All of mine, including a mint HT32B transmitter, were gutted by kangaroo rats in storage while I was on a deployment. They even ate the coil forms. I'd like to put my Heathkit Novice station back together some day.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Return to “Communications”