HT 1250 antenna

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ssgcmw

HT 1250 antenna

Post by ssgcmw » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:32 pm

All -

I need to buy a new antenna for my Motorola HT 1250. As I search for compatible antennas, I find some that look like my current (broken) one, and some that are "stubby".

Would going with the stubby version have a noticeable impact on my range? It seems like it would be less likely to get caught on stuff and break.

Anyone have experience with the HT 1250 that would recommend a certain antenna other than the OEM version?

Thanks!
~W

woodsghost

Re: HT 1250 antenna

Post by woodsghost » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 pm

I think there are three things to consider:

Durability.

Portability.

Sensitivity.

I'm finding with a Diamond antenna that I got that durability is important. I am perhaps not treating it well, but it keeps getting bent and I'm pretty sure it will fatigue itself into snapping soon. The stock antenna seems more durable. Also, the IPX rating of my radio only applies when the stock antenna is used, so any straying from OEM means I'm taking a risk in weather durability.

Short antennas will not pick up signals as well, but are more portable. That might be just fine for your application. I was told by an old ham "if it works, you are doing it right. Don't matter what the book stays." Also, there are some options for, say, mounting on a plate carrier that a friend pointed out to me. They are very flexible antennas and made to work with plate carriers. I can about guarantee they don't give the best performance, but if the goal is "reliable comms inside 1 mile" and a short or super snake/flexible antenna is giving you that, you are doing it right.

If your goal is to maximize range, that can be a longer discussion. It involves knowing if you want to only use the antena mounted on the radio or if you are willing to use an antenna mounted on some coax if needed.

Me, my plan is to use a shorter antenna for on body use and have a coax mounted antenna for longer range.

Let us know if you want to discuss any of these points further.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ssdtopgun

Post by ssdtopgun » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am

Just some quick information about radio antennas.

The size or connection type of the antenna does not directly indicate the quality or the effects on transmission range of the radio. There are several factors involved that can effect range depending on the radio frequency band, transmission power level, weather and terrain.

What you want to look for is an antenna that provides a reasonable gain for the frequencies that you plan to use the most. The Motorola HT 1250 has a frequency ranges from 200 MHz up to 750 MHz. Keep in mind those bands are basically line of site type frequencies. Your not going to be getting DX (long range) comms from that radio no matter what you do. I am not completely familiar with this specific radio or if it can be configured for repeater use within the amateur radio bands.

Hope this helps out. Enjoy :)

CommsXpert

Post by CommsXpert » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:37 am

If you need an oem antenna to replace your broken one, I've got plenty and will send you one, if you want.

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:31 pm

CommsXpert wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:37 am
If you need an oem antenna to replace your broken one, I've got plenty and will send you one, if you want.
That is very generous, thank you!

CommsXpert

Post by CommsXpert » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:18 pm

where should I send it?

CommsXpert

Post by CommsXpert » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 pm

Also.... UHF or VHF?

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:17 pm