Hams in Space - UHF/VHF Cross band repeater on the ISS

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Zombi, Shaun of the Dead

Hams in Space - UHF/VHF Cross band repeater on the ISS

Post by XaqFixx » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:11 pm

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/10/iss-ham-radio-repeater/
Previously you could contact the ISS via several modes - packet, SSTV, and simplex voice - but they have just launched an FM repeater for Earthicans like us. With a directional antenna, you can even hit it with a 5W HT.

Mode: FM
VHF/UHF Repeater Uplink: 145.99 (PL 67 Hz)
VHF/UHF Repeater Downlink: 437.80

For best results, you probably need to adjust for Doppler shift, like working any LEO satellite, but with a directional antenna and/or the right software that is easy to manage.
KO4DIL General Class; WQZX905 GMRS; '95 F150 4X4 ZS0521; Charlotte, NC

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Zombi, Shaun of the Dead

Re: Hams in Space - UHF/VHF Cross band repeater on the ISS

Post by XaqFixx » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:13 pm

This helpful map shows where the International Space Station is at any time https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/tracking_map.cfm
KO4DIL General Class; WQZX905 GMRS; '95 F150 4X4 ZS0521; Charlotte, NC

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Hams in Space - UHF/VHF Cross band repeater on the ISS

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 am

I've made a single ISS contact a few years ago. Did it from the Eastern campus of the Naval Post Graduate school in WV when my wife was a student there and I came to visit. I used an FT-60 and Arrow handheld directional for the contact. Made my day and amazed some of her fellow students.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Communications”