Returning from the grave.

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Zombi, Shaun of the Dead

Returning from the grave.

Post by XaqFixx » Sat May 09, 2020 6:02 pm

I haven't posted since 2012 but I'm back to say I passed my Technician Class Amateur Radio exam today and bought a GMRS license last year. I'll update when I have a callsign on the amateur bands.
KO4DIL General Class; WQZX905 GMRS; '95 F150 4X4 ZS0521; Charlotte, NC

woodsghost

Re: Returning from the grave.

Post by woodsghost » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Awesome! That is great to hear!!!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Congrats and welcome back! How did you prep for your Technician's exam?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 10, 2020 1:17 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm
Congrats and welcome back! How did you prep for your Technician's exam?
Yes! What did you do?

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Zombi, Shaun of the Dead

Post by XaqFixx » Sun May 10, 2020 5:52 pm

A wildly out of date version of this audiobook https://www.amazon.com/Track-Technician ... 1503077373 I listened to the general class version as well but didn't look at the book until two days before the exam and failed by two questions. I'll take it again (probably in June) after actually studying.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun May 10, 2020 6:09 pm

For anyone wanting to study QRZ.com provides practice tests and tracking free of charge. :)

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 10, 2020 6:43 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:09 pm
For anyone wanting to study QRZ.com provides practice tests and tracking free of charge. :)

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/
Thanks!

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 11, 2020 6:10 am

I've got to jump in here a moment and say that the best ham study online site I've ever found is www.hamtestonline.com and while it isn't free it is well worth the minimal costs involved. I used this as a refresher for my tech course back in 2010 (I'd had a 1st class commercial license in the late 70s - early 80s) and as study materials for my general and extra certifications, getting my extra in well under a year from my tech.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by XaqFixx » Mon May 11, 2020 9:27 pm

I used the practice tests at HamExam.org and had an Audible credit that I used for the audiobook. I do a 5 mile walk every day, and go trail running on the weekends for 7-10 miles and just listened to the book while on the trails. I used an android app and HamExam.org to practice a test once or twice a day until I was consistently passing both the Technician and General Class exam before finding an exam locally that hadn't been canceled by the Rona (It was in someone's garage, everyone wore masks and gloves).

Braums
Favorite Zombie Movies: Orig. Dawn of the Dead, Gangs of the Dead

Post by Braums » Wed May 27, 2020 12:30 am

Congrats and 73. Once you get up and running, NC has a lot of good Ham resources with the Carolina 440 Network, PCRN group, etc. My call is KJ4DNC feel free to ping me here or through QRZ.

https://www.carolina440.net/
http://www.pcrn.net/

XaqFixx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by XaqFixx » Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Rad. Will do, my call-sign is KO4DIL. Once I install this 30W RF amp in my truck and a better antenna I may be able to hit the 2M PCRN repeater in Charlotte. With my current setup, I can't reliably hit any of the repeaters from my house with my 5W HT even a big goofy antenna or the magnetic rooftop antenna on my truck from the house because I'm surrounded by huge trees.
I need to set up a base station and hang an antenna in one of the trees - I have a single-story house with 6" thick stone masonry walls so I putting something in my attic is out and anything on the roof is still dwarfed by the trees.

Return to “Communications”