Neighborhood Emergency Response Radio?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: Neighborhood Emergency Response Radio?

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 pm
Just a gentle but official reminder here... Part 95.561 makes it illegal to use a non-certificated radio on FRS frequencies, and 95.587 requires FRS radios to have non-removable antennas. The Baofeng (and other cheap radios of that nature) do not meet those requirements. :wink:
Not for neighborhood use, but for identifying the real problem. If more power and better radios still don't work, then there is likely a terrain feature blocking the signal. If a better antenna and/or more power fixes it then there is room to discuss equipment changes and maybe licences.

It would also be useful to find out if 1 or 2 neighbors might want to go the GMRS or ham route. It is probably not necessary that everyone has full comms capability.

But again, I'd like to know the real problem before making more guesses.

Just what I'm thinking.

EDIT:

To be clear, I assume everyone in this scenario is either legally licenced to use the radios doing the testing, or have a cell phone or something handy to receive on a test radio and report back to the licenced party.
Last edited by woodsghost on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 am
KJ4VOV wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 pm
Just a gentle but official reminder here... Part 95.561 makes it illegal to use a non-certificated radio on FRS frequencies, and 95.587 requires FRS radios to have non-removable antennas. The Baofeng (and other cheap radios of that nature) do not meet those requirements. :wink:
Not for neighborhood use, but for identifying the real problem. If more power and better radios still don't work, then there is likely a terrain feature blocking the signal. If a better antenna and/or more power fixes it then there is room to discuss equipment changes and maybe licences.

It would also be useful to find out if 1 or 2 neighbors might want to go the GMRS or ham route. It is probably not necessary that everyone has full comms capability.

But again, I'd like to know the real problem before making more guesses.

Just what I'm thinking.
Aw man... It's Saturday, I didn't really want to have to put on my mod hat on Saturday, and certainly not before I've had my coffee, but you're going to make me put it on anyway, aren't you? Okay then, this is official:

Illegal is illegal and we do not discuss doing illegal things on ZS. There are zero exceptions to this policy.

Have I made myself clear?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am

I must have misunderstood something.

I am not wanting to advocate anything illegal.

I'll review and edit if I advocated illegal activity.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am
Dorsai wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm
And as an update to my update...doesn't look like the geography problem can be overcome by more power. After stationing my son in the athletic field, I tried to reach him from the far end of the neighborhood, no dice. So short of setting up some kind of neighborhood repeater (not gonna happen), it looks like we don't get neighborhood-wide radio comms. :(
Crazy idea here but... a simple ham cross band repeater would solve the problem of that hill. All you need is good elevation on the repeater antenna, and that's easy enough to do with a telescoping mast or ladder line antenna. Getting everyone licensed is going to be the difficult part but it can be done.
Or a single part 90 license for the neighborhood as a whole? https://sites.google.com/a/mst.edu/robe ... -frequency

Non-profit use so only the $60 fee, license is valid for 10 years. Pick two itinerant business/industrial pool frequencies, one VHF and one UHF like 151.625MHz and 464.500MHz. Then, I believe, you could use any dual band part 90 radio (mobiles/HTs) and a single cross band repeater (some as inexpensive as $80) attached to a max height 6.1m antenna at one home as a base/control station. This assumes a 20ft antenna would make the difference for communicating end-to-end in your neighborhood.

I've not done this but considered it more than once. No frequency coordination required on intinerant frequencies, and by limiting power to 20 watts and a small number of licensed units in the filing it likely would get approved...?

Commo141

Post by Commo141 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 pm

If you where to have a number of residents who have FRS radios but do not mobilize with the CERT, they could form a listening net through the neighborhood and relay messages to and from the CP. It could also be a way for information to get to the CP, also residents who are in need of help could know that they could contact help via and FRS channel. The ideal would be to have a number of stations listening on one FRS channel for distress calls and using another to talk to the team. Also remember a radio inside a house will not have the reach of one in the open.
Ward
Proud moar zombie since May 2009

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:28 pm

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Would have the same limitations as the radios above. The 36mile range is marketing.
If you are on a mountain top and your friend is on a mountain top 36 miles away, and you can see each other, you can talk. If you and your friend are on opposite sides of the same mountain - no go.
FRS/GRMS is essentially line of sight. Some ham stuff as well. It might have trouble reaching the other side of town, but you can communicate with the ISS with the same gear due to line of sight.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:28 pm
My vote is to try these.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland ... 0-vp4.html
Same problem as discussed previously. FRS won't cut it and they have no GMRS license.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Communications”