Safe Room Communications

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

analysis autonomy

Safe Room Communications

Post by analysis autonomy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Would love to get recommendations on systems / tech to recommend for communication in a safe room. Something that can reach the outside world, without needing to remember to grab your cell phone or worry about cell service.

Ideally something dedicated within the safe room / panic room. Not so much thinking in terms of TEOTWAWKI type situation, but primarily home invasion and burglary, and secondarily in a natural disaster.

I hate having to rely on my phone, personally, who knows if it has charge or if it left in the other room. I would like a dedicated solution for the room that can communicate with police and potentially family / friends.

Thanks for suggestions

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Safe Room Communications

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Have any of your old cell phones lying around? If you're like me you might have several. Even disconnected phones can make 911 calls and with the phone powered off the battery can last a year or more. I keep one in each vehicle and rotate them out for charging and app upgrades every 6 months. (They have several useful apps installed on them that still work with just a wifi connection, such as the Google Voice app which lets me make calls with them anywhere I can get wifi, and some useful ebooks.)

Even if you don't have any old phones you can still buy the cheapest model prepaid phone, activate it with the carrier, then shut it off and stick it in the safe room for emergency use.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:11 pm

I'd have a scanner in there as well. If you do call for assistance it can be comforting to know it is on the way and roughly how long it will take to get there. Also if there is a disaster you can monitor what is going on (keeping in mind that many things that are reported are often untrue).

If you do get an old cell don't let kids play with it. They will call 911 every time.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Since the op is not worried about PAW but rather safe rooms. It is safe to assume the internet and cell phone service will function albeit for a while with a battery backup.

Most modern alarm systems have a combination of dead man switches and remote cell phone integration.

The alarm pings the monitoring service at set intervals. No pings the monitoring service calls the site.l to see there is a problem. No answer and LEOs are sent to check it out.

There are also remote CCTV monitoring services via the net. A CCTV camera inside and outside the safe room would be an alternative.

Then there is a wireless panic switch that you can carry.
Any of these would result in a monitor service calling for help.

However, for two way communication I would suggest a simple wired land line and leave the phone in the safe room.

If the safe room is steel, a cell phone may not work inside so check it out ahead of time.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 pm

I am not sure it is safe to assume that cell and internet will be working. If his house or neighborhood gets leveled by a tornado or hurricane all bets are off.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 pm
I am not sure it is safe to assume that cell and internet will be working. If his house or neighborhood gets leveled by a tornado or hurricane all bets are off.
A land line is more likely to be robust enough to function in that situation than the others. That said no land line, internet or cell phone limits the 2 way comms to satellite phones, radio, ELT/EPIRB and pyrotechnics. All of those especially the pyrotechnics would need outside access.

Also in that case a deadman switch and the monitored CCTV service would also alert the monitoring company.

Not that you could expect help anytime soon.

analysis autonomy

Post by analysis autonomy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks guys for the ideas. I'm a little new, can you explain acronym PAW?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:16 am

analysis autonomy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm
Thanks guys for the ideas. I'm a little new, can you explain acronym PAW?
Post Apocolyptic World, the world after a massive event that causes severe changes to the world as we currently know it. Such an event is typified by the collapse or other elimination of national and local governments. Entirely fictional.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Communications”