Building a Rural Wireless Mesh Network

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shirt Guy

Building a Rural Wireless Mesh Network

Post by Shirt Guy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:44 pm

I did a little searching around to see if this has been covered before, but the thread I found is a few years old and I didn't think it necessary to necro it. It does have a lot of nice info in it, and was worth reading.

On to the point. While looking up wireless mesh networks a little while back, I came across the following guide.

http://wirelessafrica.meraka.org.za/wik ... Mesh_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guide explains, in detail, how to set up your own wireless mesh network by using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with modified firmware. I'm not certain if it would have much use in a PAW type scenario, but the whole idea of a mesh network is pretty interesting to me.

I figured I might as well share this with ZS and see what you guys thought of it.
"Is the glass half empty or half full? I don't care, I just want to know what's in it."

OpelBlitz
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Building a Rural Wireless Mesh Network

Post by OpelBlitz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:41 am

I could see that having some applications with neighbors, if it weren't for the inherently crappy ranges these devices/antennas usually get.
Jeriah wrote:Honestly, I kind of enjoy getting my ass kicked by a big gun. It's fun, in a rough sex with a wolverine on a roller coaster kind of way.
Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)
But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Errors in English Usage

Metatron
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Metatron » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:13 am

I know a bit late but http://www.open-mesh.com/store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the cheapest way to do it, at $29 a unit its not bad, although there are better ways to cover large areas. If the internet and telecoms infrastructure did ever get destroyed, its relatively cheap to set up a village wide network, with phone and other services, and then link up other towns and villages.

As much as I like amateur radio, as the population has grown older and young people are largely not getting involved in any meaningful numbers a lot of the technology has not really progressed much. A lot of the people under the age of 35 I know that do have a license give up, as its mostly guys in their 50's and upwards talking about what they had for dinner, how much they spent on an antenna and what they have been watching on TV. Which there is nothing wrong with but does put people off. Its always worth investing in a HT as its still the best way to communicate while you are rebuilding the infrastructure, but I think its worth having a stockpile of non ham related communication equipment and understanding how it works.

(no offense to the ham people, meant)

Give it a year to progress a bit more and projects like OpenBSC will even give you the easy ability to create your own GSM network, using normal phones and your own base station.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Bumpomancy in light of the communications crackdowns in Egypt, which serves as a nicely paranoid "what if" case.

Here's a list of open-source ad-hoc network and routing projects - it's pretty forky and in-development, so it's more nerd food for now than tools to deploy.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Tyndmyr

Post by Tyndmyr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Looks like it's down to about $19 now, less if ordered in bulk(down to $15 each).

That strikes me as quite reasonable...in conjunction with the wider availability for portable solar chargers and the like, the idea of post-PAW digital communication and systems seems to be reasonably manageable. I'm tempted to buy a few to play around with.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm

OpelBlitz wrote:I could see that having some applications with neighbors, if it weren't for the inherently crappy ranges these devices/antennas usually get.
Actually one of the most hacked parts of these things is the antennas. With external mod antennas they have performed at stunning ranges (miles) with very interesting home made antennas. I wanted to build them just for the cool antennas. Some good cable and a decent reflector (wok or salad bowl) you can make a powerfull microwave antenna with just hand tools.
Directional antennas also increase security by reducing spill to unwanted areas. Instead they focus the energy in the target direction.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

alanmexico

Post by alanmexico » Tue May 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Tyndmyr wrote:Looks like it's down to about $19 now, less if ordered in bulk(down to $15 each).

That strikes me as quite reasonable...in conjunction with the wider availability for portable solar chargers and the like, the idea of post-PAW digital communication and systems seems to be reasonably manageable. I'm tempted to buy a few to play around with.
It's the router stand that's $19/$15. The router is $59.

tryme

Post by tryme » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:58 am

I have a question for all the people who want to make a wireless mesh net???????? What are you going to be hosting and why?
My understanding is the internet will be down and you want to create your own is this right?
Just curious what you are going to be doing with it.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm

zombiehunters.org
Duh. :P
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm

IRC and pictures of cats.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:47 pm

I think it would be handy for all the same reasons it is handy now. Library, research, communication etc. It would be a real pain to keep up though.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

nacho
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sugar Hill (1974)

Post by nacho » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 am

tryme wrote:I have a question for all the people who want to make a wireless mesh net???????? What are you going to be hosting and why?
My understanding is the internet will be down and you want to create your own is this right?
For the same reason companies and cities have local networks. If you could cover a downtown area of a small community and build out a larger coverage area it could be a great way of sharing information. Even a simple server hosting a message board could be used to pass info.

I have participated in events where teams of operators are able to network dozens or computers spread out over a hundred miles or so and share packet data over amateur radio. Just because you don't have access to the world wide inter-toobz doesn't negate the handiness of local and not so local computers being able to communicate.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 am

It's faster than smoke signals to send out a "OMG WTF RAIDERS W CHAPS N NO UNDIES."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 am

tryme wrote:I have a question for all the people who want to make a wireless mesh net???????? What are you going to be hosting and why?
I see it as a quick, easy way to distribute to my neighbors all the emergency preparedness files I currently have on my computer along with the ability for people to communicate with each other 9asking questions, putting out warnings, etc...)

Something like this would have been very useful in my neighborhood after hurricane Ike knocked out our phone & cables lines.
-Blast

CapnKlay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resdient Evil Extinction, Land of the Dead (2005), Zombie Apocalypse (2011)

Post by CapnKlay » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Doc Torr wrote:It's faster than smoke signals to send out a "OMG WTF RAIDERS W CHAPS N NO UNDIES."
:rofl: :awesome:

or send, "APROX 50 MZB (Mutant Zombie Bikers - "Lights Out" by Halffast) OP5 WPNS AK47 TELL MY WIFE I LOVE HER"
...A Pirate Looks at 55...
"Yes, I am a pirate,
two hundred years too late
The cannons don’t thunder,
there’s nothin’ to plunder..."

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:09 pm

When I was the IT manager at Palomar Observatory, I built and managed a 900MHz network that covered 19 locations and a had a long link at 14 miles. The better equipment is actually not to expensive. I ran Mikrotik Routerboard wireless routers in AP Bridge mode and it worked pretty well with 19db flat panels and for the head end of two networks I used large baskets. At one point I even had a relay going from the top of Palomar all the way to the Cibola National wildlife refuge, which is over 100 miles, that has since been moved into the 6GHz range.

A good vendor is http://www.wlanparts.com/

Here are a couple pics of the head end.

Owl poop!

As you can see, the higher up, the better!
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:00 pm

After my RACES meeting this month- there was a quick presentation on mesh net for ham radio operators.

This is the website that the presentation referenced:
http://broadband-hamnet.org/just-starti ... -this.html
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 08, 2018 6:11 am

The spammers really, really love this thread for some reason. :(
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

davidradio

Post by davidradio » Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am

Stercutus wrote:Image

I think it would be handy for all the same reasons it is handy now. Library, research, communication etc. It would be a real pain to keep up though.
So funny picture LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Communications”