Ask a soapmaker

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Re: Ask a soapmaker

Post by Anianna » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:19 pm

cv66er wrote:
Anianna wrote:If I already have a liquid soap from soap nuts, what are my options for thickening it so that it is more gel-like or at least won't just run down my hair before I can wash my scalp?
One site i found recommended xanthan gum.

Soap nuts produce saponin, which is chemically very different from lye soap.
Thanks. That it is chemically different is the problem I have had finding a solution. I have also seen recommendations for glycerin or salt. I will experiment with those three (xantham gum, glycerin, salt) and combinations of to see if anything works with the soap nuts.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm

1/4 tsp xanthan gum + 1/2 tsp glycerin thickens soap nuts in a reused handsoap bottle sufficiently for use as handsoap or shampoo. It is important to mix the xanthan gum with the glycerin first to avoid clumping.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:40 am

Anyone got a recipe for your own oatmeal soap?
Do it right, or get your brains eaten.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”