Improvised insulated coffee mug

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Improvised insulated coffee mug

Post by Jeriah » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:01 am

This may sound dumb or super obvious, but it has been very useful for me so I thought I'd share.

I have a terrible habit of losing coffee mugs, especially the insulated travel mugs. They migrate from home to the painting studio, get left in cars, etc. So, I am often in a position where I want to leave the house with coffee, but have no travel mug.

The obvious solution was to use a glass jar, such as a spaghetti sauce jar. I have lots of them 'cause I eat lots of spaghetti, and the screw-on lid is handy; I can put one in a backpack and take it to school like a thermos. But, the thin glass loses heat rapidly, so my coffee is often cold by the time I get to it.

Solution: take an old wool sock out of the "rag bag" and put the jar in it. If the sock is basically intact (but for some reason in the rag bag anyway) you can just roll the excess length back down over itself as an extra layer, but most of my socks have a hole, often in the heel. I have found it quite secure to pull the heel-hole over the lid of the jar (exposing the lid), and then secure the top (ankle-hole) of the sock to the bottom of the jar by rolling it up over the bottom of the jar.

I know this description is sort of jumbled; it's hard to explain. But, if you start off with a sock and a jar, you'll figure it out pretty easily.

One warning: hot coffee in a closed jar somehow creates a vacuum (or pressure?) as the coffee cools, making the jar VERY hard to open. Running hot water over the lid to expand the metal solves the problem, but it's a pain in the ass. The solution I found was to make sure to open the jar before it cools.

Vampire

Post by Vampire » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:56 am

water has the highest density at around 4 degrees celsius. Cooling down hot coffee makes it shrink, creating low pressure inside.
Seanwins wrote:Zed = Dead stupid thing that wants to bite you a lot.
I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:31 am

Nice. Thanks.

TheRodfather

Post by TheRodfather » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:47 am

I'd prefer to just get a bunch of insulated mugs. Reason being, the glass is too easy to break, and I tend to break shit.

Also, not sure if I wanna have my sock so close to my face...lol.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Watch the Skies... Everywhere!
Keep Looking!
Keep Watching the Skies!

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:19 am

Dude, get a small Nalgene bottle...they're not only strong cups, but it also gives you an excuse to carry more Nalgene.
Creaux
Barbarian Suppressing General

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:27 am

I use a steel vacuum flask. Keeps it hot or cold the whole day... If drink is cold, I don't have to worry about the outside of the container condensing and geting some of my things wet if it's in my bag.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:30 pm

I used to cool down soda pop in can or bottles in the summer by wrapping them in a wet shop towel and setting them next to a running fan, the fan blowing on the wrapped can or bottle (I had no refrigerator in my repair shop). The evaporation of the water would drop the temp by as much as fifteen degrees F. in about a half hour. So I can see Jeriahs idea, dealing with the oposite extreme, working fairly well.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 am

My cousin had some extra 5mm neoprene patches when he had a custom wetsuit made. I had some extra material stitched in a cylindrical manner to fit a soda can. I got the idea from a soda can insulator a company used as promotion material from a convention. One of those freebies/giveaways. Can't find it anymore though.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:40 am

Steel vacuum bottles are the shit, definately. I love 'em when I have 'em. Unfortunately, whereas the Rodfather breaks shit, I tend to lose shit. I break shit, too, sometimes, but more often than not I lose it. So, I have lost my vacuum bottle, and they're too expensive to buy them as often as I lose them.

I really prefer insulated plastic travel mugs with lids. But I lose those, too.

I do have a Nalgene bottle but I prefer to keep that for water.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”