It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Virgin Gardener
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:39 pm 

More raised bed info, from Home Depot, this time. Do’s And Don’ts for Your Raised Garden Bed

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am 

There is actually land scape fabric covering the entire back yard under the gravel. It has long since been effective. weeds grow thru it like there is nothing there. I even have carpet in the dog kennel that weeds grow thru. We must have super weeds here on steroids. I have thought about raking back the gravel and replacing the landscape fabric with empty dog food bags and then putting the gravel back over that. Ultimately I would like to remove all the gravel and lay sod down but that wont happen this year and even weed killer does not seem to matter neither does burning them down with a propane fueled torch. So maybe next year I can get sod laid out in place of the gravel and relocate the gravel to the drive way.

At least my veggie gardens are taking off big time already. Not to mention the things that are still around from last year that never died off. I literally have a swish chard shrub growing from last year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:24 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
There is actually land scape fabric covering the entire back yard under the gravel. It has long since been effective. weeds grow thru it like there is nothing there. I even have carpet in the dog kennel that weeds grow thru. We must have super weeds here on steroids. I have thought about raking back the gravel and replacing the landscape fabric with empty dog food bags and then putting the gravel back over that. Ultimately I would like to remove all the gravel and lay sod down but that wont happen this year and even weed killer does not seem to matter neither does burning them down with a propane fueled torch. So maybe next year I can get sod laid out in place of the gravel and relocate the gravel to the drive way.

At least my veggie gardens are taking off big time already. Not to mention the things that are still around from last year that never died off. I literally have a swish chard shrub growing from last year.

Swiss Chard is a biennial,meaning it usually grows tall the 2nd year,goes to seed and then dies off. I gather some seeds each year to start the cycle again.
FYI--chickens also like Swiss Chard. I plant a lot & pick some every day for them

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:03 am 

Oh I did not know swiss chard was biennial. That would explain why it is so big this year and has started trying to go to seed on me. I have just been cutting off the seed stalks and not letting it go to seed. My cabbage is trying to go to seed on me too. Its seed stalks loo a lot like broccoli heads and taste just like the as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:33 am 

LDS Prepper has some interesting adaptations on bucket container gardening (as well as other useful prep info). The series begins with off-grid, self-watering system and this is his design for his "ultimate container". As he finds better sources and prices, he adds that information to his videos. He also works on improving his systems and posts updates as he learns through trial and error.

I like his idea of putting chemical fertilizers into his wife's stocking so that it can be removed each season so the soil can be reused (an issue for containers). I'm also hoping the the thermal bucket wraps he tested will help with the algae I'm getting in my reservoir buckets.

I'm going to use a version (one-sided, as they'll be on a balcony and I don't want to have to turn the buckets everyday as I'm trying to create a garden that can be left unattended for a week or two) of his "ultimate container" for my herbs and lettuces. I think that, for shallow root plants, the ultimate container makes more efficient use of soil, as opposed to the regular bucket which is tall but has only a 12" planting surface (from experience, I avoid planting too closely to make pest and disease management easier).

Personally, after using it for over a year, I have transitioned to polyester (not cotton; it degrades rather quickly) fleece wicking as opposed to wicking baskets. I find it makes the buckets easier to construct (the wick fits through a much smaller hole) and handle (when I need to service the reservoir buckets to remove algae or replace damaged buckets, they can sit flat). It's also easier adjust the moisture level in a plant bucket (bringing more wick up through the soil makes a more moist soil) and it also keeps the soil out of the reservoir bucket.

I'm going to try to make a modified version of the self-watering system (as an urban apartment dweller without access to outdoor plumbing, I need a reservoir bucket I can fill manually by carrying water from inside).

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:35 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
Oh I did not know swiss chard was biennial. That would explain why it is so big this year and has started trying to go to seed on me.
Yeah, my surviving chard plant is about 2' tall. I just keep harvesting the delicious leaves.

squinty wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 am 

For those interested in using re purposed pallets for gardens... How to determine if a wood pallet is safe for use

squinty wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 am 

If you don't have one already, I highly recommend getting a hori hori. It's a gardening trowel but better. It is steel and has a straight blade along one edge and a serrated blade along the other edge. It slices through hard-packed dirt like it's butter and cuts through difficult roots a regular trowel would run crying from.

When we moved in here, there was an established raised garden bed. I dug it out and realized the neighboring tree was putting roots up into it, so I used my hori hori to cut the roots away, laid landscaping cloth in the bed, and refilled it with soil two falls ago. I was ill the next spring and didn't get my garden in. This spring, I went to prepare the garden bed for plants and discovered the tree had taken it over again. I have spent the last couple of days pulling up the raised bed and reclaiming soil from the roots. It's hard work and I am convinced that it couldn't be done without my hori hori. I used it to lever the wood sides up. I used it to lever large roots out of the way. I used it to cut through the masses of smaller roots. In the past, I have used it in treasure hunting adventures with my metal detector, even in hard dirt.

You may think you don't need a trowel on 'roids. You may think your wussy little plastic trowel is just fine for what you need, but I tell you this: if you get a hori hori, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. Also, if you are surprised by vicious wild animals or rogue zombies while gardening, you have a means of defending yourself that some lame vinyl trowel could never give you.

I <3 my hori hori

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 am 

Good info on the pallets. As for the hori hori It looks like a good tool but I'm not sure its much different than any of the knives/bayonets I have already on hand. I was gone last week for 5 days and wow did the gardens change in that time. Everything that had not sprouted yet is up and everything that had sprouted before I left had quadrupled in size. Added stevia and another tire bed yesterday just because it intrigues me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am 

ooh - please update on the stevia plant as it grows and you use it.
Been meaning to look for some of those.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
Good info on the pallets. As for the hori hori It looks like a good tool but I'm not sure its much different than any of the knives/bayonets I have already on hand. I was gone last week for 5 days and wow did the gardens change in that time. Everything that had not sprouted yet is up and everything that had sprouted before I left had quadrupled in size. Added stevia and another tire bed yesterday just because it intrigues me.

It's trowel shaped, so more of a small shovel than your typical knife and has measurements in the shovel-bit for easy seeding. I have knives, too, but I find the hori hori incredibly useful besides them. I didn't think I needed one before I got one. Now I realize I was doing some things the hard way before.

Congrats on the growth! :clap:

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ZombieGranny wrote:
ooh - please update on the stevia plant as it grows and you use it.
Been meaning to look for some of those.

I grew stevia from seed two years ago. It grew straight up, and went to seed very quickly. Supposedly in my 9a garden, it could be a perenial, but it died off as soon as it seeded. TBH, I didn't water as well as I do now. I had just gotten here to Florida and fresh stevia sounded great while I was at a local plant vendor waiting to check out, so it was an impulse buy for which I did very little research. :) So, not the easiest plant to grow, but it grew. The leaves were not nearly as sweet as the powder, and it turned my homemade lemonade green, but it worked.

I think I should probably try it again...

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 pm 

I saw the stevia at home depot yesterday and the tag said something % sweeter than sugar cane. So I picked a leaf tasted and decided I needed it. I brought it home did a little research and in my zone it can even winter over outside. So I painted another tire and planted it. I am betting it will liven up a salad as well as all its other uses.

Sorry if my thoughts on the hori hori sounded a little negative. I did not mean for them to come off that way. It was just that from the picture it looked like just another knife to me. I will have to look around and see if I can find one to actually check out first hand before passing judgment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
I saw the stevia at home depot yesterday and the tag said something % sweeter than sugar cane. So I picked a leaf tasted and decided I needed it. I brought it home did a little research and in my zone it can even winter over outside. So I painted another tire and planted it. I am betting it will liven up a salad as well as all its other uses.

Sorry if my thoughts on the hori hori sounded a little negative. I did not mean for them to come off that way. It was just that from the picture it looked like just another knife to me. I will have to look around and see if I can find one to actually check out first hand before passing judgment.

No worries. I felt the same way about it at first - at least that I had no need for it and with all of the other tools I had that it might be a waste of money. When I did go for it, I just figured it would be a more durable trowel than the plastic ones I had. When I actually used it, I fell in love with it and considered how previous jobs could have gone more easily if I had had it sooner. I think it would be far more useful as a camp shovel than those little foldable camp shovels, too. I admit I'm a huge fan.

Here's a couple of images I took of mine in an attempt to demonstrate the curvature:

inside of the shovel bit

backside

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 am 

Thx for the hori hori info, Anianna. I've never heard of such a thing; I'm intrigued. :)

squinty wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 am 

Thanks anianna for the additional pics. The first ones I saw made the blade look flat and not curved at all which made me think it was just another knife. I have a few of the camp shovels (I can hear my drill instructors screaming that it is an entrenching tool) but they stay with my camping gear as they have uses in that department but not so much so in my garden. To big for most garden projects and to small for the other ones. Just right for camping project though.

I'm just not sure the hori hori can do everything my spork can. If you are not using a plastic, fast food, sprok for gardening you are taking the wimp route. Besides there is something majestic about planting your garden with the tool you will use to eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:28 am 

:lol:

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:22 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
My cabbage is trying to go to seed on me too. Its seed stalks loo a lot like broccoli heads and taste just like the as well.

That is because they are both brassicas. On some varieties of cabbage you should cut a large "X" on the top, to let the flower stalk emerge. The heads are too tight on some varieties.

And all brassicas can cross. So only let one species (or variety) flower at a time to keep them purebred and or not a cauli-broccoli, or Brussels-Kale.

Cedar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
I saw the stevia at home depot yesterday and the tag said something % sweeter than sugar cane. So I picked a leaf tasted and decided I needed it.

In recipes for things like Chocolate Chip cookies and it says "1/4 teaspoon of stevia".. believe them. DO NOT use 1/4 cup, because you usually use 1 cup of white sugar and 1/4 tsp looks just so wrong.

Cedar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 pm 

Cedar wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:
I saw the stevia at home depot yesterday and the tag said something % sweeter than sugar cane. So I picked a leaf tasted and decided I needed it.

In recipes for things like Chocolate Chip cookies and it says "1/4 teaspoon of stevia".. believe them. DO NOT use 1/4 cup, because you usually use 1 cup of white sugar and 1/4 tsp looks just so wrong.

Cedar

Do you have to process the stevia like you would sugar cane or beets or can you use fresh or dried leaves directly?

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm 

Quote:
Do you have to process the stevia like you would sugar cane or beets or can you use fresh or dried leaves directly?

Harvest it, toss it in the dehydrator (for best results), then powder it up in the blender/food processor and then I store in glass quart jars in a dark pantry. If you have the room, don't crush the leaves until you are ready to use them. 400x sweeter than sugar, but tastes horrible bitter (bitter is the closest word I can come up with) if you use too much.

You can also make a stevia extract, but I have not.

Cedar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm 

Cedar wrote:
Quote:

Harvest it, toss it in the dehydrator (for best results), then powder it up in the blender/food processor and then I store in glass quart jars in a dark pantry. If you have the room, don't crush the leaves until you are ready to use them. 400x sweeter than sugar, but tastes horrible bitter (bitter is the closest word I can come up with) if you use too much.

You can also make a stevia extract, but I have not.

Cedar

Thank you.

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 pm 

If you need plant food, there's no better bargain than free (or moneymaker!). If you're willing to submit a rebate, you can score a hot deal if you have this home improvement chain in your AO. Free Scotts 2-lb. Smart-Release Indoor and Outdoor Plant Food on Dealnews

For in-store pickup only, Home Depot offers the Scotts 2-lb. Smart-Release Indoor and Outdoor Plant Food, model no. 274250, for $7.98. This $10 mail-in rebate nets a $2.02 profit. That's $2 under our mention from two weeks ago and $4 under the lowest price we could find for this item with pickup and rebate elsewhere. It features a 19-6-12 fertilizer analysis and continuously feeds plants for four months. Deal ends June 30.

I bought the last time Scotts had this deal, and they paid my rebate promptly.

squinty wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

prepper7 wrote:
If you need plant food, there's no better bargain than free (or moneymaker!). If you're willing to submit a rebate, you can score a hot deal if you have this home improvement chain in your AO. Free Scotts 2-lb. Smart-Release Indoor and Outdoor Plant Food on Dealnews

For in-store pickup only, Home Depot offers the Scotts 2-lb. Smart-Release Indoor and Outdoor Plant Food, model no. 274250, for $7.98. This $10 mail-in rebate nets a $2.02 profit. That's $2 under our mention from two weeks ago and $4 under the lowest price we could find for this item with pickup and rebate elsewhere. It features a 19-6-12 fertilizer analysis and continuously feeds plants for four months. Deal ends June 30.

I bought the last time Scotts had this deal, and they paid my rebate promptly.

Thanks!!

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next