It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Virgin Gardener
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:17 pm 

It's been a week since the week long freeze. Everything looked pretty bad :( Tonight I went out to measure the cold frames for some new plexiglass tops and check it out!

The Kate is not only perky and not wilted, it actually looks like it has grown a little.

Same case with the Turnips, Beets, and Lettuce :P

I'm so friggin happy, I think I'll line the inside walls of the taller cold frame with some reflective material because the sunlight doesn't really reach the corners. I would like to insulate them too but I don't know what material to use and I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:52 pm 

OK sorry I have been away for a couple of weeks. I was elk hunting up in Northern AZ with my brother and father in law. Now I have to reorganize freezers and figure out where I am going to put 200-300 lbs of elk steak, roasts and ground meat. Between that and all the vegetables we harvested and froze about 100lbs of steer my brother in law raised and gave us since his wife and daughter won't eat it and 5 roosters I need to butcher I may need to go get freezer number 5. That and next year we are hunting elk, boar, deer, and antelope plus the goats and chickens...... Ok good thing I keep 6 x 5 gallon propane tanks for the bbq on hand for grilling in the PAW..... :lol:

For those experience cold snaps I saw where you can fill empty jars, beer bottles or wine bottles with water recap them (leaving a little space) and burry them half way in your grow beds. Sun heats the water in the bottles during the day and they release the heat into your soil over night.

P7 I would not remove the plant spacing list. It serves as a general guidance. As always climate and variety of each plant type come into play. Just something I learned this year as a virgin.

We replanted the bell pepper plants into buckets and moved them indoors and they seem to be doing well right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:54 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
OK sorry I have been away for a couple of weeks. I was elk hunting up in Northern AZ with my brother and father in law. Now I have to reorganize freezers and figure out where I am going to put 200-300 lbs of elk steak, roasts and ground meat.

That's awesome. I've never been hunting minus a bird or two in my youth but would like to learn to hunt deer and elk. One time my wife made stew out of deer meat that my brother in law got and mostly vegetables from our garden... It was ETREMELY satisfying!

The garden is still good except that something is munching down on my cover crop AKA clover. It's most likely a vole because I have found a couple mouse sized holes in the soil under the cold frames. I think I can use mouse traps with peanut butter to catch them since I get them in our kitchen that way. Rabbits are a suspect as well because I have seen pellets in the garden but not a lot and I don't see any break in the fence perimeter. I don't think slugs eat clover because it's all over my yard and I figure it wouldn't be if slugs ate it besides, I put out slug bait now and then that helps keep them down.

My wife and I are beginning to draw our garden plan for this year. It involves extending the fence, adding another gate and digging 3 new beds. The posts cost $48 each and the fence is $50 so our tomatoes are going to be expensive this season. :lol: We are rotating our crops based on nutrient usage or plant type information I found here. http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2 ... p-rotation

When they go on sale I'm going to purchase a soil test kit. We had some problems with our squash getting blossum rot and that may be due to a lack of calcium. I don't know how these test kits work or if they test anything more than the three main nutrients but I suppose I'll find out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am 

Zobmiedown, I hope you're going to make jerky and pemmican with some of your game. And thank you (and other legal sport hunters) for being a tool of wildlife management efforts to conserve habitat and ensure hunting for future generations.

Also, you might try constructing burlap/straw raised beds. I saw them on an episode of The Victory Garden and they looked interesting. See them here. A closer view.

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 am 

Ok been a while since I was on here. The elk is amazing. Did a roast in the crockpot, some hamburgers and made beef stroganoff with it. My 4 yr old bugs me about it all the time wanting more. We still have about 100 lbs of meat in the freezer from the steer my brother and father in law raised so I am trying to use that up first. I Plan to use the some of the elk and vegetables from last years garden for super bowl fajitas on Sunday though.

I have been a bad gardener lately. Still have some things going but have not been paying enough attention to them. Mostly just watering it twice a week. Been side tracked with other prepper hobbies like reloading and now I have everything I need to cast my own bullets from molten lead. I need to bring in dirt by the truck load and top off all the beds and get started on a self watering system for it all on timers so I don't spend all day every day this year dragging hoses around again. Still have to build a chicken coop sometime soon. We decided to leave them at my buddies house and will build the coop off of the garage over there since most of the stuff is in place. Just need to run the chicken wire. Also looking at turning the pool area over there into hydroponics system with tilapia in the pool and the existing pump to circulate the water. Its in a fenced area that would allow protection from critters and about 15 grow beds around it. Want to add a few more beds in the back this year as well. Going to try some varieties of heat tolerant tomatoes too. Our beef steaks went crazy when it starting getting colder but all summer had fruit but were not ripening.

I really need to get a watering system in since we will be gone for two weeks in June as our daughter got accepted to a week and a half course at a college in Los Angeles for the National Youth Leadership Forum at the age of 13. So we will drive her out there and visit some of my friends and family and take the kids to Disneyland. She also took first place in the science fair again for the fourth year running. And now I have a new litter of German Shepard puppies that were born last Friday.

My dilemma is that we have been mid 60 to mid 70 degrees for the last month here. I keep thinking I should start planting but worry about a late freeze. According to my weather app we could get a three day cold spell in two weeks. But its has said that for the last month and still been gorgeous weather here.

I need to come up with a plan and get started I just m not that motivated about it right now as I keep looking at all the freezers that are still full from last year. May have to do more canning this year. I do know I want to triple my cucumber production so I have more pickles on the shelves as that is the one thing that is running low these days. I guess I could make up some stews and can that to make some more space for things. I just have to get motivated and get to work.

Also for some reason we are over run with doves in the yard lately. We have about 200-300 in the front every day for some reason. I just hope they wont prove to be bad for the gardens or we could be grilling a lot of dove.

Best advice I have for someone just starting is to ignore the topsy turvey planters. We tried a bunch last year and they just did not produce anything and they all sun rotted quickly to the point the fabric was falling apart.

I do like the straw bale planters but then I would have to get straw. I have two bales but I use those for archery targets. Maybe next time I am at the feed store I will check on the price of straw just to try one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:07 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
Best advice I have for someone just starting is to ignore the topsy turvey planters. We tried a bunch last year and they just did not produce anything and they all sun rotted quickly to the point the fabric was falling apart. <snip>

Consumer Reports gave the same advice. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/home-garden/topsy-turvy/overview/index.htm

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 am 

Well my experience differs some from the consumer reports. The topsy planters did deteriorate thru the season as they stated as well. However the tomatoes and bell pepper were smaller and tasted different from the ones that were planted in the planter boxes. I tried a variety of tomatoes and only the cherry tomatoes did well and produced regularly. So to that end since I still have a few new in the box ones my wife want to use them for cherry tomatoes only this coming year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:30 am 

Well I got garden motivated again last weekend. Picked up seven truck loads of compost dirt from the dump and topped off all the garden beds from last year. Have another load in my truck in the drive way to put in new beds I am working on picked up some more seeds and plants to get started. I now have three shoe box sized plastic tubs full of seeds sorted alphabetically. Put new tires on my truck and kept the old ones and acquired three more tires and will get four more this weekend when my buddy gets new tires on his car. I already painted the ones I have so they are more ascetically pleasing to look at. Going to wrap the insides of them in chicken wire to keep rabbits out and then use them as planters in the front yard under the mesquite trees. Pictures to follow when I get a chance. Also going to build some new beds with the large supply of cinder blocks that I have here thanks to a friend that did not want them any more. I have 3 50lb bags of goat manure to add to the beds and I crushed up four 5 gallon buckets of sea shells to add in as well. We are supposed to get down to the mid 30 degree mark over the weekend then warm back up so I am holding off planting until after that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am 

Pictures of the tire planters as promised.

Stacked after painting.

Before cleaning the weeds out from under the tree and placing them.

One of the seven truck loads of compost dirt I just brought in to refill the garden beds.

Finished result complete with chicken wire and dirt.

Today I am going to water beds to help settle the dirt I brought in and clean up the areas I am planning to add more beds to in the back this week. My plan it to more than double the grow bed areas/space this year over the 2000 sq feet we had last year. That way I have plenty of room to over grow things and put up a whole lot more cans of food this year as well as have fresh produce on demand as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 am 

Ok the tire garden in the above picture grew yesterday to 12 planters in that area. Still working on the new beds back and have to get the front tire areas filled with dirt today paint the new flower bed I built over the weekend for my wife so she would stop eying my tire gardens :lol: . Funny thing is now she is looking at the mesquite grove on the other side of the drive way from my current tire garden set up and talking about doing a bird friendly tire garden of ground cover and sun flower seeds. This is the same woman that told me no to sun flowers as she thinks they are a pain. I think she just likes the colored tires adding to the brown of our desert and is looking at increasing her flower growing efforts. So it looks like I will need more tires for her new bird garden she has worked out in her head. Now I have to figure out how to sneak my vegetables into her bird garden :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 am 

Time to get my butt in gear! As the planting season starts I still feel like a virgin when it comes to turning the completely saturated clay. It's time to plant early spring crops and today was the first dry day in a week. It's year two of adding horse bedding to the soil so theoretically it will be easier than last year I just hope the rain lightens up soon, I want to plant before it gets too late.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am 

Dive pirate, I add compost from the dump at a cost of $15 per truck load. I have brought in 14 truck loads so far and today will be the final one. Finished building all the new beds and the 60 tires are all set and filled as well. Just have the one last bed to fill but since the dump is not open on Sunday's I had to wait until today to get the last load. All the tires are planted and all but 4 beds are planted now as well. Still have to pant corn, lettuce, pumpkins, acorn squash, carrots and radishes which should all get done today. After three weeks of non-stop back braking building, moving, painting, lifting and filling it is all going to be done. Light at the end of the tunnel. Now the easy part of watering and waiting for the plants to sprout grow and produce. Last year we had about 2000 sq feet of garden. This year e are in the neighborhood of 5000-6000 sq ft. So we are going to grow new things that we did not have last year and try them out. Hopefully everyone else is getting their gardens in order and up and running.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ZD - how do you water? Are you doing drip, watering by hand, sprinklers?

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm 

Murphman, To answer your question it is all done by garden hose with a sprinkler on the end, watering wand and spray nozzle. I am working on a watering system of pvc pipe and sprinklers all on timers to run over night while we are not using any other water. I have some of the stuff to get started on that now. Still need to acquire the rest and that is the next project no that the beds are done and planted already. I figured I would get them up and running and water the way I have been and did last year while I assemble the self watering system. We are on our own private well so water bills are not an issue for us which is why I can triple the space over last year and not have any added expense except the soil we brought in. All the new beds were done with brick we had here for a couple of years that was given to us by a friend and tires I acquired and painted to make them more appealing visually.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:34 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
Murphman, To answer your question it is all done by garden hose with a sprinkler on the end, watering wand and spray nozzle. I am working on a watering system of pvc pipe and sprinklers all on timers to run over night while we are not using any other water. I have some of the stuff to get started on that now. Still need to acquire the rest and that is the next project no that the beds are done and planted already. I figured I would get them up and running and water the way I have been and did last year while I assemble the self watering system. We are on our own private well so water bills are not an issue for us which is why I can triple the space over last year and not have any added expense except the soil we brought in. All the new beds were done with brick we had here for a couple of years that was given to us by a friend and tires I acquired and painted to make them more appealing visually.

Watering at night is wasteful as plants don't utilize it in the dark and most just drains away. Also,you are inviting in more pests,such as
slugs (nocturnal and moisture loving) . The best time to water is just after sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:19 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

gundogs wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:

Watering at night is wasteful as plants don't utilize it in the dark and most just drains away. Also,you are inviting in more pests,such as
slugs (nocturnal and moisture loving) . The best time to water is just after sunrise

What works for you in the Northeast, is not the same as in the southwest. It is too dry for slugs to thrive in Arizona, for example. Molds and mildews are lessened as well due to the harsh environment. Standing water on the leaves as early as 10 a.m., when it can reach 90+ degrees, can scald leaves as well.

If watering at night works, and fits your schedule, do it. Don't cater to the "expert" gardeners that tell you that dawn is the only time to water. If it was, God wouldn't let it rain at night. :wink:

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm 

I never water at dawn. That's to damn early and plants don't get water until I have had coffee. :vmad: Besides I am home all day so I have all day to water on my time. Only reason I want to set the self watering for the evening is so that I am not watering gardens during the times we are doing other things that require laundry like showering and laundry or taking care of the animals. Otherwise the water pressure can drop to the point it takes twice as long to water the gardens. Besides we are so dry here that watering at night would allow the soil to absorb more and thereby require less to water the same amount. At times watering in the morning and soaking the beds has them dry by the afternoon and evening do to the heat evaporating it all. And Murphman is right we don't have slugs or snails here or even fleas for that matter. We traded those for rattle snakes.... :lol: So my initial thought is water over night. If it does not work it only requires changing the timers one the system is in and running. Three more beds to plant and its all done. Corn, Lettuce/spinach and acorn and burgess squash is all that is left to do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 pm 

Murphman wrote:
gundogs wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:

What works for you in the Northeast, is not the same as in the southwest. It is too dry for slugs to thrive in Arizona, for example. Molds and mildews are lessened as well due to the harsh environment. Standing water on the leaves as early as 10 a.m., when it can reach 90+ degrees, can scald leaves as well.

If watering at night works, and fits your schedule, do it. Don't cater to the "expert" gardeners that tell you that dawn is the only time to water. If it was, God wouldn't let it rain at night. :wink:

Gee,where did I say dawn was the "only" time to water? Yes,it's not good to wet leaves when in direct sun.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-bes ... garden.htm
http://ag.arizona.edu/cochise/mg/wateringplants.htm
http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/h ... /snail.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:07 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From your edu link, Mr. Know-It-All:

Quote:
The best time to water is in the morning or evening when air temperatures are lower than at midday, reducing evaporation.

Did you even read the link??

I don't know if you realize how you come off in your written words, or you simply don't care. Your tone to more than just me is: "I am right, and I will find you links that prove it", then your links don't prove you right. The fact that you got put on probation for arguing should have been a wake up call for you to stop, but you haven't. Please change the tone of your responses. While you may have great experieince in gardening, what you do cannot be applied to everyone, everywhere. Please realize that, and be constructive with your comments.

Have a great day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 pm 

Victory finally...it's all planted. Finished with herbs in the bricks themselves and carrots this morning. Did corn lettuce and spinach and acorn squash last night. Now it s all water and wait for things to sprout and start producing. Which reminds me I need to get to the store and start stocking up on bags for the vacuum sealer, zip lock bags ad canning supplies. Oh hey a great excuse to go check out the new C-A-L ranch store that just opened this week in town. Besides I hear they have a camping and shooting department as well. Now to help my buddy this weekend finish the chicken coop and get his tire garden up and running. Our other new prepping friend stopped by yesterday to get 10 of the extra 50 tires I have to start her own small tire garden as well. I may have started a new craze in our neighborhood with the tire garden thing as I have another person coming over today to look at ours since his wife wants him to put n a vegetable garden this year too.

I just posted these in the poor man's prepping thread but thought I would drop them here too. Some of the new garden beds done with brick and tires I got for free.

And one of the beds from last year with the swiss chard that kept going since it was planted around this time last year. We only had one week of below freezing temps this winter so it just kept going. Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage did the same thing as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:54 am 

Well gardens are doing good. Most things planted have sprouted already. Still have spinach, bell peppers, lettuce and okra that have not come up yet and half the peas and beans have not sprouted yet. Corn has gone absolutely crazy as I completely over planted it thinking only some would come up. I did a test planting with about 8 seeds harvest from last years crop and dried. One came up so I decided to plant three rows of corn and put about 8 to 10 seeds in each spot. The suddenly all the seeds in my test planting pot sprung up out of no where. Which is exactly what the planting in rows did as well. Moral of the story and a lesson I just relearned. Trust the seeds to sprout.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 pm 

How-to article on UOG: How to Install & Build a Raised Bed Garden

squinty wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:29 am 

Wow according to that article I built me beds all wrong. No landscaping fabric no hardware mesh no flexible tubing for a cover. I just slapped them together over the existing gravel in the back yard. :gonk: Grea now I have to take them all apart and redo them....lol Good article though and I may incorporate the tubing and covering into my set up at some point. Hope everyone has their gardens up and going.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:22 am 

That landscaping material is good stuff, ZombieGramps says he thinks we put it down about 10 years ago.
Keeps most weeds and grass from coming through, but we still had problems with dandelions in a few places where we didn't overlap enough and they came through the joints.

The areas we graveled are still weed free, but one area over near grass has grass (some of our grass crawls) and shallow-rooted weeds growing on top of it.
Our weeds and grass have muscles!

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next