Virgin Gardener

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Re: Virgin Gardener

Post by prepper7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:18 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:Balcony garden. Yesterday.
Eggs! Eggs on the arugula!
Deep breath. Examination. Eggs Everywhere on the arugula!

You've got this Zprep. Now, in addition to the squashing / mental therapy, take a good look at your arugula and see what (if anything has the plants stressed).

When I found my black seeded Simpson covered with aphids, I was surprised by my response. Instead of panic, I was calm (not pleased, but calm). Surprisingly calm. Is-there-something-wrong-with-me? calm :) ). The very first thing that went through my head was, "Hmm, what's making these plants unhappy? What's weakened them enough to cause them to fall victim to this opportunistic attack?". Turned out to be the new potting soil (Scotts Moisture Advantage) that I bought at Big Lots. Guess that's why it's discontinued.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

FREE Ground Shipping on garden items at Safer until 6/21

Post by prepper7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Use code SBFREE to get FREE Ground Shipping On Any Order At Safer through 6/21.

They are in garden / nursery centers and Home Depot, though some products are hard to find on shelves. I use Their EndALL Insect Killer (organic, OMRI) when I need some help with the pests.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:36 am

prepper7 wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:Balcony garden. Yesterday.
Eggs! Eggs on the arugula!
Deep breath. Examination. Eggs Everywhere on the arugula!
You've got this Zprep. Now, in addition to the squashing / mental therapy, take a good look at your arugula and see what (if anything has the plants stressed).

When I found my black seeded Simpson covered with aphids, I was surprised by my response. Instead of panic, I was calm (not pleased, but calm). Surprisingly calm. Is-there-something-wrong-with-me? calm :) ). The very first thing that went through my head was, "Hmm, what's making these plants unhappy? What's weakened them enough to cause them to fall victim to this opportunistic attack?". Turned out to be the new potting soil (Scotts Moisture Advantage) that I bought at Big Lots. Guess that's why it's discontinued.
Right. That occurred to me too. But I couldn't figure out what I might be seeing. ????

Now, I read 'somewhere' 'sometime' I 'think' that aphids also come when plants are going to seed. The plants are dieing out when they go to seed, right? I had the thought that could be the variable that brought them. What do you think? And this arugula is determined to seed beyond all measures I can come up with researching the net. I've pinched, I've cut it way down, but this baybe's determined to seed, even before it got very hot at all.

Now I'm letting it seed. I'll harvest them.

After I harvest them I'm going to use these fingers of branches I've saved all winter and mix them in the lower part of the soil, like a mini hugelkultur bed (I saw it on the Internet), replant arugula or something and see what happens.

Anyway, the bug/egg squashing worked. Just 'why' it worked remains to be discovered. I mean, aphids are born pregnant right? So you could get a herd of 'em right off the bat if a couple or so showed up. And if you squashed them and hundreds of them and their eggs one day, and under 10 the next day it could just be that I got em all. Buuuuuutt, it could also be that if another one showed up they didn't hang around because of all their smashed brethern everywhere.

Who knows. But I don't have aphids anymore.

One of my lettuce showed "worm sign". I had a leaf eater. I was looking for the smaller green ones the Cabbage White Butterfly make but couldn't find any, besides it was a different 'kind' of eating. And I'd read 'something' 'somewhere' 'sometime' I 'think' that there is a type of caterpillar actually called a leaf eater. They don't eat holes into the leaf, they just keep shearing the leaf down as they eat.

I couldn't see one but after two days I decided to not give the leaf eater any more of the lettuce (I only had two seeds worth anyway) and chopped both of them down with plans of reseeding.

I looked over the leaves carefully after cutting them. Nothing. I puzzled over it awhile. Then I remembered I'd read 'something' 'somewhere' 'sometime' that some caterpillars burrow just under the soil during the day. So I took a stick and sort of piddled arounds scooting the soil around..... and scared myself to death when I found this big honking caterpillar just under the soil. Big long fat. Not scary to touch, it was just the surprise of this large old critter I'd had no previous experience with and was expecting a little old thing.

Just after I squashed it I head slapped myself because I could have thrown the thing onto the lawn for some bird to f.e.a.s.t. on.

But now I know the "worm sign" for a leaf eater and where to find it. OKAY!

And I've tried rubbing out (literally) aphids and their eggs. I wasn't squeamish about it at all either.

And I'm going to be replanting both containers with the bottom full of wood pieces to see if they'll absorb and hold water like the tree trunks & logs in my hugelkultur beds.

Oh yeah, and I'm watering the containers from the bottom. I forget what it's called. I'm just sitting them in a bucket of water and letting them soak up what they will. man. It's so much nicer that watering from the top down with water draining out of them.

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 am

zobmiedown wrote:Jdev..... You could always jyst get more pots.....lol Or if you truly think you have to much have friends come over and transplant some itno thier pots. That way you dont loose the plants and your friends get thier own to stop snacking off of yours.
I would, but I have nowhere to put them! Lol. There's only so much of my patio that gets sunlight. I posted it in my thread, but I'm giving four of the five plants away (two to my grandfather, and two to a coworker), and keeping the pots after I help my grandpa get his into the ground. That'll give me room when other stuff gets bigger to transplant them.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Aphids on my okra. No other plants show any and only one Okra out of six all colocated. However I have these little ants like a surgar ant I guess all over them and eating th aphids. THe ants are how I found the aphids. Could not figure out why there were ant all over that one plant and on closer inspection I saw the aphids and realized the ants were carrying them away. Funny thing is its my biggest of the okra so far and does not show any other signs of distress. So I rinsed all the aphids off with the hose and watering wand on a medium pressure setting and not aphids today. I guess maybe once they were at ground level the ant went crazy and got them all.

Other plants have holes in leaves but I cant find any pests on them. However the bired are constantly flying into the beds. I dont know if the birds and the lizards that are in the beds are helping with pest control or not. I do have some birds that are going after the plants as well. I watch the birds from the patio and it the fly into the plants and dont leave with a piece of them I leave them be. However if they leave with a piece of a plant I take a shot with the bb gun.

As to the mushrooms. Can't I just leave them and let them decompose and add nutrients to the soil. THey dont seem to bother the plants and lately there are less and less daily. Even if they sprout over night they die early the next day due to our blazing sun and heat here in the desert of AZ. I know Zombie Granny had saftey concerns about them and her grandson but all my grow areas are fenced and gated to keep the kids and gods out. Besides my little one are not allowed outside unspervised due to the venomous critters we have in our area.

The last four people that have stopped by to visit have all loeft with some yellow squash, zuccini, and bags of lettuce.

As to the plants going to seed thing. I have arugula blooming, mesculun lettuce, dill, cillantro and basil all blooming. Will I loose them when they are done blooming? If so can I cut the blooming stalks and keep the plants alive? LIke I said this is all new to me so I have no clue on any of this.

Oh and score one for my little baby artichoke that has appeared. I love those. They are one of my favorite vegtables and I learned a perineal to boot.
Regulators mount up.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Aphids on my okra. No other plants show any and only one Okra out of six all colocated. However I have these little ants like a surgar ant I guess all over them and eating th aphids. THe ants are how I found the aphids. Could not figure out why there were ant all over that one plant and on closer inspection I saw the aphids and realized the ants were carrying them away. Funny thing is its my biggest of the okra so far and does not show any other signs of distress. So I rinsed all the aphids off with the hose and watering wand on a medium pressure setting and not aphids today. I guess maybe once they were at ground level the ant went crazy and got them all.
Ah. The ants may or may not be eating them. They may be raising them. And herding them to your plants. Like cows and sheep are herded to pasture. Carrying them 'home' when they get knocked off the plants.

Ants raise aphids for the honeydew aphids excrete. Google this. Lots of info on this.

btw... you and your gardening? :clap:

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Other plants have holes in leaves but I cant find any pests on them.
Which plants? I have info on kale and beans with holes in the leaves.

arugula? My first time so I'm learning with you.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 am

The ants better not be raising the aphids. I have lots of ant poison if they are. I will have to recheck the okra today.

My lettuce plants and my brussle sprouts are my plant with holes in the leaves.

Picked three ripe tomatoes yesterday from the topsy turveys in the front. All from the same plant. Tomatoes in the ground are now getting tomatoes but it will be a while before they are ripe. Peppers are producing more and more daily it seems. Somthing stole a whole bell pepper that was going good. I would have been ready to pick by the weekend.

Zuccini and squash seem to need to be picked very couple of days to the tune of two to four each time. Pulled some potatoes as well the other day. I will have to get some new pics of how things are looking posted soon.
Regulators mount up.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am

zobmiedown wrote:The ants better not be raising the aphids. I have lots of ant poison if they are. I will have to recheck the okra today.
The ants are possibly living in the garden. Might want to research using poison where food crop roots can uptake it into the plant and transfer to humans when being consumed.

I have (had) a caterpillar consuming my lettuce. I've also found Cabbage White Butterfly Devil caterpillars eating holes in my lettuce and my kale. Today I squashed six of the little green devils on just one kale plant. They start the size of this --> i <--. Real hard to see. But they grow to this --> i===========i I know nothing about brussel sprouts.

Though I'm thinking little holes 'always' mean some kind of larva feeding. Some are teeny tiny like the white fly larva that eats bean leaves that I still haven't learned to see. Some larva start teeny tiny but grow to more visible size as they feed. But I'll lay a wager that if there are holes, large or tiny, it's a caterpillar (larva) of 'some' kind.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Zprep you are not full of good news :clap:

At least I have too many plants for us to eat so loosing a few leaves is not a big deal. But now I am going to have to check closley and loof for larva. I do have lizards inhabiting all my beds. They like the shade and since they eat bug they are welcome to coexist with my plants. I keep telling them to eat more bugs or call some friends over and have a bug eating party. Problem is I dont speak lizard and they dont speak english. Great now I have to google lizard translators. :lol:

I have little things of ant bait that I can set outside the beds and get the little buggers. I need to spay some weed killer in the yard too. Not near the beds but the rest of the back yard away from them. I will continue to weed near the beds by hand. Just dont fell like doing the rest of the yard by hand as they grow faster than I can pull. t year I burned the areas out with a torch and a 5 gallon propane tank. So they are not as bad this year but still need to be killed. Have about 6 spots that are getting full of weeds so I will spray those and hope that keeps and from seeding the rest of the yard.

Ok so who has a good way to get rid of aphids without using pesticieds and not harming the plants?
Regulators mount up.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm

zobmiedown wrote: Ok so who has a good way to get rid of aphids without using pesticieds and not harming the plants?
Ivory dish soap and cayenne pepper powder with water in a clean spray bottle. 2T and 2t, respectively. Mix well. The soap kills them (smothers I think). The pepper keeps them away. Make sure to get the undersides of the leaves and do either before the sun is on the plants or after it is off at the end of hte day. I have burned plants with this. Also, you have to redo after a rain.

I buy a generic organic vinegar cleaner and keep all the spray bottles to re-use. I have one of the soap mix always made up and one of lemograss steeped in cheap vodka for my homemade mosquito repellant (doesn't taste bad either). :awesome:
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:22 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Zprep you are not full of good news :clap:
:lol:
Ok so who has a good way to get rid of aphids without using pesticieds and not harming the plants?
My recent seemingly real effective experience: I took each individual leaf & stem and squashed every single aphid and egg I found with my thumb and forefinger. The next day I had under 10. Have not noticed any since.

But I do not have ants raising a herd in my container so your results may vary.

I didn't wipe or spray... I squashed. My plant had so many a lot of the leaves & stems were almost slimed.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:55 am

Murphman thanks for the input. I dont really want to risk buring the plants though. Why cant the plants be more like my dogs. A little food a little water scratch behind the ears and they are heappy and healty. Will just the ivory soap alone work?

Zprep I guess I could do the squish thins and deal with the ants using the baited trap things.

Or can I spray squish and bait all at once for maximum effectiveness :twisted:
Regulators mount up.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:10 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Murphman thanks for the input. I dont really want to risk buring the plants though. Why cant the plants be more like my dogs. A little food a little water scratch behind the ears and they are heappy and healty. Will just the ivory soap alone work?

Zprep I guess I could do the squish thins and deal with the ants using the baited trap things.

Or can I spray squish and bait all at once for maximum effectiveness :twisted:
It is not the pepper that burns them. As "pure" as Ivory soap is, something about spraying it on during intense Florida sunshine (similar to AZ) burned some of my beans. I sprayed all time of day when I lived in PA, with no problems, so I am purely guessing it was the intensity of the sun down here.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:38 am

While I'm not a virgin gardener, I put in my first garden in something close to 30 years this year. Lady Tater and I are approaching it like a grand experiment - if it works great and if it doesn't oh well. We'll be getting serious about it next year and have planned expansion to include some nifty stuff.

Example: we didn't get the radishes out in time so we've let them go to flower to attract pollinators.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:40 am

ey I found this and thought I would share. Two other anti aphid recipies. http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pe ... aphids.htm

Good info here as well. http://howto.yellow.co.nz/home-garden/g ... of-aphids/

I blasted them with the watering wand on my hose a couple of days ago and again yesterday. Way less by the second blasting. I may try this twice a day when I water for a few days and see if this does not clear up the problem.
Regulators mount up.

drivepirate

Post by drivepirate » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey all, got enough weeding done to warrant a photo op, the mulch is helping a lot. I have a few problems that I had last year, maybe someone has an idea or two.

Had some trouble getting these beets to sprout so we have different stages of growth. There are ugly brown splotches on the leaves like last year. They did fine but deterred us from eating the tops which I love. You can't see them too well and the splotches are on the peppers' first growth too. The new growth looks fine (I should have taken closer photos of the bad spots). I was thinking they got too dry during the last little heat wave we had.

I attached a wire fence for the cucumbers to climb up. They are doing good and I'm excited to grow them vertically this year. I had to tie them a bunch of times to train them up to the trellis. I'll do this again next year.

Our squash were quite a bargain. We got them on sale and each 4" pot had two or three plants in each. That being the case we planted them all (I blame zobmiedown :D ), and consequently they are too close together.
There are the characteristic white powdery spots on the squash and my wife thinks it effects productivity but I don't know.

Ok the snow peas are freaking me out this year. We planted them later than we should have, they finally started blooming about 3 days ago. These things are mutant huge. The leaves seem to be about twice the normal size.

No pictures of the tomatoes this round. They are doing good though and have come a long way since the 4" pots we got on sale two months ago.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 pm

DivePirate..... Feel free to blame me. We have been eating zuccini and yellow squash several times a week sliced and frozen 15 bags of them and given away about 20 of each. Our freinds are more than happy to take any we dont keep for ourselves so you should not have a problem with too many either. Some of our freinds we have had to teach how to cook them in different ways but its all good.

So my aphid problem seems to have been rsolved but blastn them off the underside of the leaves on the two okra plants they were on. No other plants seem bothered by them and after twice a day for a couple of days water blasting them I ma not seeing any more. I plan to keep blasting the underside of the leaves twice a day for the next week just to be safe.

Now for updated pics.......
Saturdays harvest. Notice the two okra on the right. Rinsed anf froze those in a zip lock until we have enough to do something with.

Sundays harvest. Some how that zuccini got over looked on saturday. TOday I have another Zuccini and another yellow squash to pick this afternoon when I water again.

Pumkin land is out of control

In all of pumpkin land these two pumpkins are the only ones so far even though they have been blooming out of control. Not sure if its our heat or just too early for more.

Roma tomatoes in teh topsy turvey in the front yard.

Other tomatoes in the same topsy as the romas. cant remember what tyoe these are though.

Bell pepper in front topsy. We have had about 5 from this topsy so far from three plants.

Blackberry in front starting to bloom

Watermelons in the front. Blue berry in the back of the photo. Notice the mouse traps. In my AO they are a gardeners best friend. THe wind we have had lately snapped the humming bird solar light and ducktape did not work so well. The light still works and cgange color though.
Last edited by zobmiedown on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regulators mount up.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Ok on to the back patio.....

The tall plant is the dill that we scalped for my brother inlaw to make pickles. It has come back nicely. Next to it is our sweet basil that we pick from on a regular basis. Cherry tomatoe in topsy in the back ground and oregano in the hanging pot.

other tomatoes in topsy on the back patio

Corn doing well. These were planted from starters from ace hardware. Paid $1.50 for all these plants in one flat.

Ears of corn coming along nicely. in the back of the image is my mild jalapeno plant that has yeilded two 6 inch peppers in the last day. I have to remember to check this one more often.

We have artichokes. You can see the two little ones below the bigger one. What you cant see is the third little one behind the bigger one. I was glad to find out the are perinal and produce multiples per plant.

Romaine and arugula. We harvest off the romain almost daily and it still keeps chugging alone. It was going to bloom so we cut the stalks and put them in a flower vase with water to see what happens.

Left to right is swiss chard, Iceberg lettuce and mesculn lettuce. The mesculn has gone to bloom. Again all of these are harvested almost daily and thron into the salad medley. We also give away about 10 gallon ziplock bags a week of the lettuce.
Regulators mount up.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 pm

But wait there is more....lol

Brussle sprouts. I actually like snacking on the leaves. Cauliflower in the bed to the right chugging along finally.

Forgot to mention in the last post. We find the swiss chard stalks on the leaves to be very celery like and use it in place of celery since we have had no luck getting celery to grow.

Lemon cucumber land. Found two babies formed this morning in that jungle.

Same Cauiflower on the left. Broccoli on the right. We have been eating broccoli from these plants a couple of times a week.

Aspargus finally doing something.

My zuccini area that has been producing like crazy

Cucumber area number one. No cucumber yet. A mix of japaneese and burpee cucumber plants. Lots of blooms in there though.
Regulators mount up.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

And yet still more.....

Cucumber zone two. If you look closley this is where I accidently droped the seeds into my water glass so I planted them all. Yep thse are all clusters of multiple plants. Oh the humanity.... oh wait I make cucumber salsa and we cnpickle them too.

These are the two infamous random corn plants I spoke of before. Not sure how they got there as they are no where near the rest of my corn plants or any where I had corn seeds at all. And all my corn planted from seed (pic coming up soon) are accounted for.

Garlic to the rear of the photo then potoatoes and onions in the front.

These are some of the other radish types I put in to try them a couple of weeks ago.

Left and center more radish types to try. Far right barely visable is the carrots. Not gonna do carrots next year as they take too long and are always cheep at the store. WE can find a better use for that area. Like more peas since the kids eat them faster that we can grow them.

Ok better view of the carrots. Peppers in the bed above it and tomatoes to the right. Romas, black cherry, bonni grape and beef steak. Also realized there are three pepper plants in with the tomatoes. Back when we started we had our little green house we got at big lots blow over. We scopped everything we could back into pots and apparently got some pepper seeds in with the tomatoes.

Better view of the beef steak tomatoe tree. Under the mesquite tree behind it is where I put about 20 Kabocha squash seeds from a squash that was given to us a couple of weeks ago so we will see if they come up.

The yellow squash plant that has been producing all our squash so far. There are two more in there as well but they are still smaller plants and trying to get bigger.

In the middle with the top or the blue solar light is my butternut sqaush plant. three total but no squash yet. Blooms though. to the left is my three acorn squash plants.

If you look towards the top left and bottom right you can see two of our seven acorn squash growing so far. All seve are about that size too.

Better view of one of the acorn squashes.
Regulators mount up.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Last area this time I promise.

These are the three corn beds planted from seed and aross the yard from the random corn. I must admit the random corn both amuses me and puzzles me at the same time.

Lima beans coming along

Green beans area

Left bed is wax beans, center is my okra with new plants sprouted and aphid free now. Right area is string beans and cow peas and some brocoflower sprouting but too small to see.

Hope every one enjoyed the updated pictures. Ok so maybe there is a smidge of over planting especially since I did not post pics of all the beds. Not shown are grapes more artichokes, cantalope, honeydew, musk mellons and more pepper plants and strawberries. Is it wrong that I want to put in more seeds to grwo more but I am running out of places to do things. Ok I still have 4 acres to play with but would have to get in some good anti rabbit fences first as we have rabbits on the rest of the property. The planted areas are all inside the front and back fenced area where the dogs like to spend most of their time. Besides if I plant the rest of the yard I run teh risk of loosing our track for the kids to ride thier quads. Oh the dilemas one faces when the gardening bug bite them..... :lol:
Regulators mount up.

drivepirate

Post by drivepirate » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Nice update zobmiedown. I have considered using the rest of our yard and switching to row gardening. We have rabbits and deer to work around. I would need more equipment, fencing, time and energy. Maybe one day, for now I'll just concentrate on doing it better instead of bigger.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 am

I hear you divepirate. I would love to put in more and bigger beds for the Squash, Mellons, Zuccini, and cucumbers and free up the spaces they are in for other/more things. I just dont see that working with the rabbits not eating everything that sprouted until I can get some good fencing put up and beds built before any planting could occur. Then again I would also have to run water lines to any additional areas and diggin in teh soil here is like digging in the middle of a concrete pad.
Regulators mount up.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”