Virgin Gardener

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Virgin Gardener

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Yes, it seems most plants like to be picked.
For example after you pick the top broccoli crown, you will get small ones growing out of each place a leaf comes off the stalk.

This thread reminds me, I must let the word get out that we like zucchini.
By season's end there are people around here that will practically break into strange cars to leave giant zucchini.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:19 pm

OK last nights dinner brought to you by "THE GARDEN". So the way this happened is I picked a bell pepper off the topsy turvery on the back patio. Suprisingly enough not the planter with the strawberries in it. :lol: Ok now I want a strawberry pepper plant oh the yum.

Back on topic I was having a beer with my buddy on the patio and looking at the pepper. And it hit me. I cut it in half removed and saved the seeds and put a little butter on each side. But wait there is more..... The I added immitation crab meat a little garlic puwder and a little onion powder and place a slice of meunster chees over it and threw (ok placed gently) in teh toaster over at 350 degrees for a few minutes. Oh the aroma was wonderful. I removed the tray from the toaster oven and put it on the oven burners to cool. About 5 minutes later my wife (ok supervisor) arrived home from work. I poured her a glass of wine and handed her a pepper half Her eyes lit up when she tried it so I finished her half. Then the daughter walked in the kitchen so her and my buddy split the other half. And thats when we all decided we needs more. So we gathered 8 more peppers and cut them in half and removed and saved as always the seeds. The second batch we stepped it up a little more. Several peppers with the crab meat several with pepperoni and some with left over steak that I shredded witht he cheese grater. About 10 minutes later all the peppers were gone. Now what to do. I rummaged through the spice cupboard and found some beer batter mix. This I could work with so it was game on.

Next thing I knew we were the daughter was cutting in our house the wife is not allowed to do the cutting as she has on several occasions tried to remove her fingers) and I was dipping zuccini, yellow squash, potatoes and broccoli in the batter and placing it on a cookie sheet. Cookie sheet went into the bbq and I started a frying pan of more zuccini using olive oil onion and garlic powder and beer batterd zuccini. Remaining vegtable (we had more that we had batter for) went on a second cookie sheet smothered in grated mozzarella cheese and on the grill as well. Oh it was all so good and healthy for the most part.

I cant wait for the next harvesting as I have tempura batter and cajun breaded batter to play with as well. Growing your own food makes it much easier to experiment with cooking on the fly as youhave fresh ingredients on had at will.

Apparently the logical progression is prepper to gardner to chef.
Regulators mount up.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Hey guys? Take it from a long-time gardener:

Close planting is just fine as long as you feed the plants well. Good soil and compost tea or kelp extract will give you loads of great veggies planted close other than bush squash,

For example:

Four kinds of beans and 10 Hubbard squash in this bed, and look how HAPPY they are!

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Dawgboy where do you get kelp extract?

Our beds are a mix of compost from the dump, horse manure made locally in the horse coral and some potting soil and vegtable fertalizer. Everything seems to be happy planted close together so far.

My new plan may be to bring back kelp to add to the beds next time I am visiting my in laws in Mexico. There beach has piles of it all sun dried and everything. I have had success adding sea shells to the beds as well and need to get some more next time I am down there. Problemis first they have to leave here before we can go down there.

I have been composting vegtable and fruit scraps coffee grounds and egg shells for a couple of months now as well. I grind it all up with the food processor into a paste and add it to the compost bin. Oh accidently added earth worms to the compost bin as well. Not going to add watermelon rinds any more. On the link I posted a page back there is a recipe for watermelon rind pickles that sounded delicious that I have to try.
Regulators mount up.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

We used to candy watermelon rind.
I still do that for Christmas if I get it late enough.
Now I usually just freeze it and use instead of water chestnuts in stir fry.

If you have chickens, they love the white part but you still need to remove the green rind from the area after they have pecked it clean. Cantaloupe, too.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

ZombieGranny.... We plan on getting some chickens very soon. Ok my buddy and I are planning on it. My wife is not a big supporter of the idea but is not against fresh eggs instead of store bought.

I had never thought to use watermelon rind in stir fry. That is a great idea. Especially since I have to watermelon plants growing and my buddy put the three extra I had sprouted in his garden. The again he took my extra cantalope sprouts as well. Beside I think the chickens are going to be kept at his house since her has a samll fenced yard they can go in and a few less large german shepards than I do. Besides if I add chcickens here that takes me one step closer to the full farm title that I am fighting against :lol:
Regulators mount up.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

zobmiedown wrote:OK last nights dinner brought to you by "THE GARDEN".
Apparently the logical progression is prepper to gardner to chef.
First, yummmmmmm
Second, logical progression.... :lol:

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Balcony garden. Yesterday.

Eggs! Eggs on the arugula!

Deep breath. Examination. Eggs Everywhere on the arugula!

Deep breath.

google

Squash every single egg right there on arugula and any aphid too to deter future appeal to aphid colonization. (some info suggests this)

ahhhhhhhhhh. Squashing death to aphid tyrants!

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Get a spray bottle - squish in 1 or 2 garlic oil capsules, add a few drops dish soap, fill with water and shake.
Spray leaves top and bottom.
-

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Zombiedown, I buy this stuff from a local Hydro store and mix it myself. This summer I am going to try to make it myself since I am 10 miles from the ocean...

http://www.groworganic.com/maxicrop-kel ... ct-lb.html
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:19 am

Dawgboy. Thanks for the info. I will check around in my area and see what I can find. Still plannin bringing some back with me on my next trip to mexico.

Zprep show no mercy. Kill them all. It worked for me with the mice. Birds are next on the list as they are eating my plant leaves.

Garden mysteryof the day...... Random corn. Yep two plants not in a bed near the very back grow beds growing up thru the gravel. Here is where it gets wierd. Every corn seed we planted sprouted and is growing where we planted them. Which is in beds no where near these two plants. Lie at least 50 yard away from the nearest corn in the other beds. No idea how this happened but it's kind of cool.

And now for this mornings pickings.

We picked three zuccini on thursday and some how these got over looked. Have at least 5 more that will be ready in the next couple of days. Realized I have at least 10 Acorn squash the size of baseballs already and three pumpkings starting to take shape. Could pick more broccoli but we decided to let it keep going. Lettuce did not even make a dent in the plants and this is after my wife took 6 1 gallon ziplock bags to work for her coworkers on Wednesday. Not to mention the six new rows of lettuce and three of spinich coming in. 12 more rows of radish have sprouted (4 different variants). And in the over planting department. And enire packet and a half of Cucumber is sprouting in one area. Had to plant them as I accidently dropped the seed packets in my glass of ice water. Also harvested the seeds from the kabocha squash that was given to us. Im going to plant those this weekend under a mesquite tree in the back yard that I had cleared the area for my wife to plant flowers and then she decided not too. So new grow area for me. I truly might have an addiction to this gardening thing. :twisted:
Regulators mount up.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Ok this heat wave we have going on sucks. It's been about 100 degrees farenheit for the last three weeks. I am now at twice a day watering all the beds. Once in the morning and once in the evening all by garden hose. But the plants are looking happier and produceing so I cant complain about that. my wife told me last night she is getting tired of eating zuccini and yellow squash already. So I am going to start slicing it and feezing it now. Planted the Kaboch squash seeds yesterday (about 25 of them) and two different types of peppers at about a hand full of seeds each. Tomatoe plants are getting big but no tomatoes yet. Tomatoes on the topsy planters are taking forever to ripen. Ate my first cubanelle pepper off our plant yesterday. Acorn squashes the size of softballs already. Nothing from the butternut squash yet. blooms now but no squashed. pumpkins are the size of baseballs. Three type of cucumbers all blooming but no cucumbers yet. Lettuce plants are renamed to lettuce hedges and new rows are getting bigger. Brocoflowers (Green cauiflower) sprouting and okra blooming. Pack and a half of cucumber seeds are sprouting now. Extra bean seeds I put in the beds are sprouting. They all seem to like the heat but need extra water these days. Miss one watering and they next day every thing looks stressed and wilted.

My new official position is that I did not over plant melons, pumpkins, and squash, but rather I am growing exploding targets for shooting practice. :lol:
Regulators mount up.

jdev

Post by jdev » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:21 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Ok this heat wave we have going on sucks. It's been about 100 degrees farenheit for the last three weeks. I am now at twice a day watering all the beds. Once in the morning and once in the evening all by garden hose. But the plants are looking happier and produceing so I cant complain about that. my wife told me last night she is getting tired of eating zuccini and yellow squash already. So I am going to start slicing it and feezing it now. Planted the Kaboch squash seeds yesterday (about 25 of them) and two different types of peppers at about a hand full of seeds each. Tomatoe plants are getting big but no tomatoes yet. Tomatoes on the topsy planters are taking forever to ripen. Ate my first cubanelle pepper off our plant yesterday. Acorn squashes the size of softballs already. Nothing from the butternut squash yet. blooms now but no squashed. pumpkins are the size of baseballs. Three type of cucumbers all blooming but no cucumbers yet. Lettuce plants are renamed to lettuce hedges and new rows are getting bigger. Brocoflowers (Green cauiflower) sprouting and okra blooming. Pack and a half of cucumber seeds are sprouting now. Extra bean seeds I put in the beds are sprouting. They all seem to like the heat but need extra water these days. Miss one watering and they next day every thing looks stressed and wilted.

My new official position is that I did not over plant melons, pumpkins, and squash, but rather I am growing exploding targets for shooting practice. :lol:
I like the way you think, sir!

I'm running into the over-planting myself with my patio garden. 4 or 5 plants of cucumbers in one pot, 5 tomato plants in 4 pots (getting rid of some of them, though; I'm not a big tomato eater), plus lettuce, spinach, some herbs. I really have wayyy too much for the pots I have.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Ah, well I remember the sensation of drowning in fresh veg.

Check out which blossoms on your plants are edible and tasty.
Many of them can be eaten raw on salads, others can be battered and fried.
Using the blossoms will thin your plants and let the maturing veg stay healthier.

Try picking the veg young and tender instead of waiting until they become 'fine specimens'. Think gherkin-sized pickles.
If you aren't ready to can yet, freeze or dehydrate (dehydrating makes the bulk much smaller).
-

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Jdev..... You could always jyst get more pots.....lol Or if you truly think you have to much have friends come over and transplant some itno thier pots. That way you dont loose the plants and your friends get thier own to stop snacking off of yours.

ZombieGranny..... I have been picking the zuccini and yellow squash daily and the next day guess what more have appeared and grown to 8 inches overnight. Radishes and peas get picked daily as well. I am going to start slicing nad freezing the zuccini and yellow squash in 1 gallon zip lock bags so that we have it all year long. Our growing season here should last thru October so thats a good thing as well. Not sure about eating the blossoms. I would rather they turn into actual veggies. We dont actually have any cucumbers yet. Lots of blossoms on all three varities but not cucumbers yet. DO have about 50 cucumber sprouts that have come up in the last week. I was only going to plant a few more plants but I dropped the seed packs into my ice water hile trying to open them so I figured I had better plant them. We cant have too many cucumbers. My kids will eat a dozen a week only becuase my wife only buys a dozen a week. Plus we all love pickles. My brother in law loves to make pickles ao as long as we provide him with the dill and small cucumbers he will do the pickling and give keep a few jars and give us some back all ready done for storage. We can litterly go thru two of the big jars of valasic pickles from walmart a week if I let the kids loose on them. Now I gotta talk the brother in law into pickling cauliflower, peppers and anything thing else we have that would be a good candidate.

Have one pumpkin I saw this morning that is the size of a baseball all ready and 5 acorn squash that are bigger that softballs already. My daughter is buggin me to let hersell it at the local farmers market when we start getting everything at full production. Oh and one tiny tomatoe on the big beef steak plant today. That plant is litterly 4 feet tall and had to be fenced around it to keep it from smothering it's neighbors. Have a black cherry tomatoe plant that now has about 15 tomatoes on it as well and the bonnie grape tomate has about ten on it. The funny thing is I dont even like tomatoes but everyone else does so I am growing them. Then again I did not like bell peppers until I grew my own this year. So I will give the different tomatoes a try too.

The lettuce we continue to trim and give away to friends and family and it just keep coming faster than we can trim and bag up. Even gave some to the dump truck driver that delivered the load of gravel tuesday so that my father in laws rv that he keeps here can be on the gravel before monsoon hits us and the area her keeps it turns into a mud bog. He always brings us extra gravel or sand when we order it so we decide to give him some vegtales this time. He got soe radishes, two zuccini, two yellow squash and two bags of lettuce. Then again he is also patiently waiting for our litter of German Shepards to be born becuase he really wants one. Ok it just dawned on me I not only over planted the gardens but the dogs as well. So here goes.... Hello every one my name is Zombiedown and I'm an over planter...... :gonk:

After all the first step is admitting it. The second is to water it and the third is to harvest it...... :awesome:
Regulators mount up.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:48 pm

ZD. Count your blessing on being able to overplant. Here in Florida, the fungus that would pop uo, due to the humidity, can ravage an overplanting in literally 2 days. Fungus is the bane of my existence here.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Murphman, I do get mushrooms that sprout in the bed over night on a daily basis. However, just like any other weed I rip them out and throw them away. My latest problem has been birds trying to eat the plant leaves. So I have been chasing them off with the aid of a bb gun. I do however have about 8 lizards that have taken up residency in my beds. I leave them alone because they will eat any bugs trying to harm my plants. Witht he heat wave we have been having I am praying for an early start to monsoon season this year. However that will bring the grass hoppers very quickly so maybe I dont want that after all.
Regulators mount up.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:29 am

I guess "fungus" isn't the right word. Molds, mildews and rusts. My spring garden here is all about making sure I have air circulation so everything dries and those cannot get a foothold towards harvest.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am

Oh that is a little different. I dont envy you there at all Murphman. I competely soak my beds twice an day and they still dry out. Then again we have about a zero humidity factor here right now. Once monsoon hit things may be different and pose new challenges for me. Had to send 12 bags of lettuce to work with my wife today just in the name of trimming the plants because they were out of control again.
Regulators mount up.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Leave the mushrooms in place. They are a good thing, the fruiting heads of a large mycorhyzae colonization and it helps your plants convert minerals into nutrients.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm

I rip any fungi out.
I don't want to take the slightest chance they are poisonous and have my grandson eat them.
-

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Ok now I dont know if I should leave them or rip them out. They have tall skinny stalks and small umbrella shapped heads. They usually dont survive the heat and sun light everyday here either.

We got rain last night. Oh sweet lovely rain please come back and keep watering my plants for me.....
Regulators mount up.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Straw mushrooms most likely

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:02 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Ok now I dont know if I should leave them or rip them out. They have tall skinny stalks and small umbrella shapped heads. They usually dont survive the heat and sun light everyday here either.

ZD, before I got a handle on watering/moisture balance/planter type, I had mushrooms springing up in my chard containers. I googled (natch) and one of the things I read is that handling them (as I was doing, ripping them out on sight), spreads the spores and worsens the problem. If you opt for removal, you might try carefully covering them with scraps of plastic (empty food bags, damp paper, etc.) something to contain things as you pull them up.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”