It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home defence....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:52 pm 

Ok just wondering. What have some of you guys done to defend your home? Not talking about the guns in it, I'm talking about how have you made your house secure and almost certain none of those walkers can get in...Just a thought really. :D :) :D

Post subject: Re: Home defences....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

Some options: Dogs, fences, gates, reinforced doors and windows (e.g., KatyBar, steel shutters), alarm systems, defensive landscaping (e.g. thorn bushes), scary totems made of animal heads hung on a pole near the front door. All of these can help.

Post subject: Re: Home defence....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:37 pm 

Will be shooting for some non-obvious defensive landscaping this summer. Large rocks (vehicles) and living fences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm 

What Dogbane said. Stuff like crunchy gravel and thorny bushes around the house, sturdy doors and sturdy, lockable storm doors. Motion detector lights. Fence around the yard. Alarm system. Surveillance cameras. Studied angles and field of fire from various points in and around my house, looked for natural choke points in the interior. If I have to use a home defense projectile, I have a good idea of what's a 'safer' or 'less safe' direction to shoot, relative to neighbor's houses and streets. Sturdy solid core doors with deadbolts on interior upstairs rooms - if someone gets in, they may still have to get through another strong door or two to get to me and mine. Rope ladders in upstairs rooms - if need be, we can go out as they come in, or everybody but one can shimmy down while that one holds off who/what ever - handy for fires and etc. as well. Peepholes in doors. Hardwood floors downstairs and wooden steps, just slightly squeaky - no carpet to muffle footsteps (also easier to clean than carpet.)

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:57 pm 

Surveillance cams, medeco high security locks, an australian shepherd and a hispanic knife wielding wife all keep me secure. It's that last one you should fear the most though. I've also trimmed all shrubbery low or completely moved it away from the immediate house and for the most part, no fencing to keep thugs out of vision if there on the sides or front of house. Only the back is concealed from view and there's only one door leading in - to the Aussie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm 

And what about living in a flat or apartment? Safe or a no go??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:28 am 

Precut 1" MDF for each of the windows with firing ports/observation ports. 12 cameras around the house on back up battery power and modulated to the TV's on the house. Back up auto generator. 2 working GSD for defense and tracking. 3 loud small yappy dogs that bark at everything while the GSD just look on quietly waiting for a meal. Fatal funnel entry via walled courtyard. Medco locks and security system on cell alert and BUB.

Anything else gets dealt with by humans.

Here is the story of my life in two sentences.

Good judgement comes from a lot of experience. And experience comes from a lot of bad judgement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:30 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Have a look here. viewtopic.php?f=89&t=58786