Build your own island.

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Orson

Build your own island.

Post by Orson » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:43 am

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/11 ... living.php

saw this on digg, unfortunately it doesn't give directions, but an interesting concept no less.

EDIT: more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Island
kyle wrote:I, for once, actually agree with gundown.
GunDown wrote: I never would have fucked her if she didn't have a vagina.

ais

Post by ais » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:35 am

Spiral Island was destroyed by a hurricane in 2005.
And so in lies the inherent problem of artifical Islands.
November Postal Match: 2nd Place

"The dead know only one thing: It is better to be alive." -Private Joker, Full Metal Jacket

EndOfWorld

Post by EndOfWorld » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:00 pm

ais wrote:
Spiral Island was destroyed by a hurricane in 2005.
And so in lies the inherent problem of artifical Islands.
Which is why you don't build artifical islands in areas prone to hurricanes.
Off Duty Ninja wrote:I saw Gundown eat an entire cake once before we had the chance to tell him there was a stripper inside...

We need more Kansas members!

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:09 am

Still kind of cool. Maybe more practical for a lake though.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

Clown Hunter D

Post by Clown Hunter D » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:01 am

Or you could find an abandonned drilling rig platfom. Same concept, but you better get used to eating fish.
Saving the world from the clutches of... whatever.
Rus wrote:Is it just me, or is getting info on sniping from the NYT kinda like getting info on chastity from Paris Hilton?

Vampire

Post by Vampire » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:56 am

Cool, I want one!
Seanwins wrote:Zed = Dead stupid thing that wants to bite you a lot.
I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:20 pm

Clown Hunter D wrote:Or you could find an abandonned drilling rig platfom. Same concept, but you better get used to eating fish.
There are lots of used ones for sale, still out of the price range of most hippies though. I looked them up a long time ago and might have started a thread about them. Can't remember now though.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

xena

Post by xena » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:03 pm

I read an article about a couple who built an "island" made out of wood on a lake. They had a house, huge garden, everything. It was very nice, and they were completely self sufficient. It would have to be a pretty big lake in a place where they don't care if you build an island. But I've always thought it might be a good way to live.
You don't really own anything you can't carry on your back at a dead run.

- Daniel Keys Moran

*angryFinn*

Post by *angryFinn* » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:44 pm

A pontoon island could work too.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:15 am

With the resources to build an island, I would buy a houseboat...
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 pm

Go for the gold and get a catamaran...just like in waterworld
Lonestar wrote:Possum jerky beats inner cabium nutrition anytime.
El Maximo, zombie thwarter extrodinaire!

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:20 am

El Maximo wrote:Go for the gold and get a catamaran...just like in waterworld
Mmmmmm...........Waterworld Boat....

-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

SMERSH

Post by SMERSH » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:51 am

there might actually be a real world version of that

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

-Douglas Adams

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Of course! Catamarans aren't ficticious, they are a fairly common boat type, and getting more common every day due to their increased efficiency and lower drag. A two hulled catamaran on a 50 ft+ boat has significanly less surface drag than a single hull. On the smaller vessals, it usually is about the same, though catamarans have hight speeds accross the board. 8)

Waterworld was a cool movie, and it fit with the paw motif.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Isn't that a Trimmaran(sp?) If so we raced against one of those SOB's on a race from NOLA to Florida. They're so superlite they can't sail with the wind astern so they have to zig and zag constantly.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:08 am

Its Trimaran, and thats when there is a single hull with two outriggers. On the smaller racing ones, the main hull tends to be about the same size as the out rigger, which makes for some interesting sailing.

And your absolutely right, Gunny, catamarans and trimarans cannot sail with the wind directly, as they'll tip over and capsize. Because of this, they have to zig zag constantly, or "tack" or "jibe" An interesting fact is that this tacking is often the most efficient way to get from point A to B.

Tell me, Gunny, did the swerving SOB beat you there? :o

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 am

A lot of the new ship designs are catamarans or trimarans, although of course not sail powered. Some cruise ships follow that design, and the Navy's "stealth ship" was one example as well--then they put it in that 007 movie, which was it--Goldeneye? Tomorrow Never Dies? I can't remember. But there've been some other designs since then, generally low radar cross section, small combat ships for coastal duties, like the "missile ship" (dedicated cruise missile launching platform), etc.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:32 am

From Bar Harbor, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia there runs a high speed catamaran ferry, named (you guessed it) the CAT. Itll get you there in around three hours. Average speed: 55 mph (88 kph) 8)

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:39 am

Maximo,

We beat her into port by nearly 2 hours. If the wind would've stayed flat as it did for nearly 4-5 hours, she would have won hands down. As it were, as soon as the sun set, we receied nearly 30 knot winds for the next 7 hours or so.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Good deal. Every ship has their ideal conditions and their crap conditions. The trick is picking the best ship for each individual run, based on course conditions as time progresses. Like you said, after the sun set, boom, wind. Then again, luck and weather have a major factor in this. In almost any race, I'd put even money on a catamaran simply because of their unique capabilities. 8)

Plannin' Man

Post by Plannin' Man » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Probably getting off topic by not talking about boats, but didn't the Celts build settlements on artificial Islands on lakes ? Oh yeah. Crannogs.

www.Crannog.co.uk

Might be worthwhile as a summer project.

Plannin' Man
http://survivaluk.myfreeforum.org
SUK, we do so you don't have to..

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:22 pm

El Maximo wrote:Because of this, they have to zig zag constantly, or "tack" or "jibe" An interesting fact is that this tacking is often the most efficient way to get from point A to B.
when you're running with the wind, you're gybing/jybing. when you're beating into the wind its tacking. tacking isnt the most often efficient way to get someplace, its just the only way when where you're trying to get is upwind. if your destination is within ≈45º of the eye of the wind, you have to tack to get to it, unless there's a wind shift.

multihulls are extremely fast off the wind, because of their low drag, but they dont perform as well into the wind because they dont have as much stuff under the water generating lift. obviously each boat has different characteristics, and the newer high-performance cats are a lot better than your cheap-o garagesale hobie. Part of the reason that the high-performance ocean racing cats and tri's are so fast is that they weigh very little. they're absolutely misserable to race for a week across the ocean, and would be impossible to live on in a PAW. HOWEVER, i'd greatly consider a cruising style multihull, they're much more friendly to live aboard. the two/three hulls are connected not by ... uh... whachiwhoozits, forgetting the word, the sprit things you see holding the outriggers out... but they're connected by a full cabin, so you effectively get a cabin area of a large square/rectangle, instead of the skinny rectangle of a monohull.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”