It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:52 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

I had no idea there was asbestos in vermiculite!
Final plan? A scoop of topsoil and a scoop of mushroom composte, with rabbit poop mixed in (Dried of course) :lol:

Starting with this mix in the bed, what will I need to do to it each year, fertilizer, etc.? Will extra composte do the trick?
Mr. NoAm & I have been researching composters. We have definitely decided on one that turns. If we get something we have to to manually mix, it probably won't get done. (We have to be honest)

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

I think I have decided to grow the pumpkins in a container.
I was researching a little this morning and found some great links...
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/growing-pumpkins-in-containers.html
Many sites were suggesting to plant them in kiddie pools, but since the garden are is exposed to the neighbors I am sure they would squak at the site.
I was then thinking of cutting 55 gallons plastice barrels in half to use.
Then I found the rubble sack!
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17128.0;topicseen
I think heavy gauge plastic would work, but would this be a bad idea because of the chimicals used in plastic?

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:44 pm 

NoAm wrote:
I had no idea there was asbestos in vermiculite!
Final plan? A scoop of topsoil and a scoop of mushroom composte, with rabbit poop mixed in (Dried of course) :lol:

Starting with this mix in the bed, what will I need to do to it each year, fertilizer, etc.? Will extra composte do the trick?
Mr. NoAm & I have been researching composters. We have definitely decided on one that turns. If we get something we have to to manually mix, it probably won't get done. (We have to be honest)

I wouldn't go smaller than something like this 80 gallon one... http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/offic ... aignId=T9F

Tumblers never seem to hold what they say they do, so bigger is better. I would bet that it would produce enough to keep improving what you have now, and perhaps a little more (even with 2-3 applications a year). If you make a another garden, however, you will have to get another to keep up the optimal production. Tis' the nature of tumblers. They help speed up the process, but the capacity is limited, unlike open piles.

It seems that one would work quite well for your needs though. ;)

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm 

NoAm wrote:
I think I have decided to grow the pumpkins in a container.
I was researching a little this morning and found some great links...
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/growing-pumpkins-in-containers.html
Many sites were suggesting to plant them in kiddie pools, but since the garden are is exposed to the neighbors I am sure they would squak at the site.
I was then thinking of cutting 55 gallons plastice barrels in half to use.
Then I found the rubble sack!
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17128.0;topicseen
I think heavy gauge plastic would work, but would this be a bad idea because of the chimicals used in plastic?

We are growing our pumpkins in an old storage tote that we could no longer find the lid for. Drilled some holes for drainage and threw em' in. They are doing great so far.

If you are worried about chemicals, then food grade plastic would be the "safest" I suppose. I personally worry about chemicals in my food, but I really cannot justify NOT using plastic containers or sheeting if they are readily available and cheap and they had not been in use to hold any toxic substance beforehand.

For instance, this year I had to do EVERYTHING in containers due to my current rental agreement (all 5 gallon buckets, a few totes, and my sons old water play table) but, given the choice and the monetary freedom to do so, I would do what I needed to keep it as plastic-free as possible.

The objective, with the idea that the goal is true Permaculture, would be for everything to be a part of the system you create. Ideally, we can avoid plastics as much as possible in any given situation, but it would be silly to demonize someone who re-purposes plastics for their own bioscape if supplies and resources are limited.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm 

NoAm wrote:

The short list?

Manure
Woody Mulch (brown)
Fibrous Mulch (green)
Wood Ash
Worm Castings
Blood and Bone meal
Lime/Dolomite(for pH adjusting if needed)

= Balanced Compost, which turns into SOIL!

When is comes to compost and mulch, they are not all created equal. Mainly because those terms get thrown around all the time in the landscape and garden industry.

For instance, Compost...there is wood compost, leaf compost, green compost, mixed or balanced compost, mushroom compost, there is compost with or without manure or there is compost that is almost ALL manure.

From a Permaculture perspective, to put it simply, you want ALL of these as a part of what you call YOUR compost which is what BECOMES your soil. The ideal is to have the most biologically diverse soil that you can possibly create. In essence, the soil you create is alive, and you want to keep making it more diverse and complex by fostering growth of microbes, bacteria, fungi, archaea, protists, and such. The better you are at this, the stronger your soils will be. It is in the complexity of microbial life that you create the soil's ability to support life on the larger scale. It is also this complexity that helps with the balance of your bioscape, thereby warding off pests and disease.

For instance my basic Compost consists of horse manure, pee soaked wood chip stable bedding w/ straw, grass clippings, wood ash from the fire pit, kitchen scraps (including egg shells and coffee grounds), some partially composted leaf matter, and old organic potting soil. This is a pretty diverse and balanced compost but I would do even more if I had the free resources to do it. (i.e. access to other viable animal waste, or other green or brown waste. I supplement both my soil and my compost with worms and worm castings. Honestly, if the pile is done composting, I could plant pretty much anything right in it.

That is what you want, IMO. You are CREATING soil. The best soil you can possibly produce. That soil, in turn creates more soil basically by inoculation of existing soils with its awesomeness. ;)

After you have good and reliable soil in your raised bed, you add all of these elements both BEFORE and AFTER they complete the compost process. You can also make compost teas to help keep up the soil life deeper down into the soil without strenuous tilling. The rest is cast on top at various times before, during, and after growing season to keep up the vitality of your soil. Basically, you have to treat it like any other living organism that you want to perform optimally for you. You feed it!

The beauty of this method is three fold. The longer you feed it, the less you have to feed it. The longer you feed it, the more it gives you in return at harvest. The longer you feed it, the more stable, self producing, and self replicating it becomes (instead of "using up" the soil, you create more!). More and more output, with less and less input. Winning!

Last edited by Shaper on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: All Things Permaculture.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 pm 

I'm a big fan of aquaponics, will post some pictures of my system when I get home.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:29 pm 

Foe Hammer wrote:
I'm a big fan of aquaponics, will post some pictures of my system when I get home.

Aquaponics is very cool, and very Permie! Talk about having to keep the system "balanced" for everything to work together and with minimal input. Post away! (with details.:P)

I am planning an Aquaponic set up in the attached greenhouse in our home design with a similar larger scale (yet less controlled) fish pond to the south. The smaller indoor setup will mostly be used to produce fish inoculant, but we will obviously be growing water loving edible and medicinal plants as well. The outdoor pond will grow fish (obviously), plants for the ducks and geese, and maybe even some bio fuel production. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 pm 

here are some pictures of an aquaponic I built about two years ago. it worked awesome although my catfish died, start with tilipa they are much more oxygyn and tempature tollerant.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 pm 

My hubby has got a HUGE hardon for aquaponics. Great, now I have to go find him out in the yard to see this. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:34 pm 

i ended up spending about 400 on the entire project, make sure you read up about pumps mine were not very efficient, also make sure you cover any open water and do not allow sunlight to reach it, otherwise alge will grow and it will suck the oxygyn out of your water at night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:25 pm 

Foe Hammer wrote:
i ended up spending about 400 on the entire project, make sure you read up about pumps mine were not very efficient, also make sure you cover any open water and do not allow sunlight to reach it, otherwise alge will grow and it will suck the oxygyn out of your water at night.

Looks to be very well done! :mrgreen:

What would you say to starting a new thread in SSL and tell us how you did it, and how it works?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:37 pm 

Good gawhds, that is amazing. <clap clap clap>

Post subject: All Things Permaculture.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:13 pm 

Ok I will give it a shot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Shaper: As always, thank you. You are really helping to educate and comfort me in this entirely new process! I have been quite 'Oh No's!' :gonk:, wanting to do it right the first time and not regretting or wishing I had done something else. I just don't want to screw up.

I have been searching for used totes at Goodwill and Thrift Stores. I love that idea. As far as the bags, I am willing to use just about anything. I just didn't want to make a selection and then later learn it was the worst thing I could have done,
I will check locally and see what I can find. I even thought of using some burlap sacks, but I don't think they would be large enough.

Thank you for all the wonderful thoughts, posts & ideas. You are really easing my :gonk: ness.

Foe Hammer: VERY Impressive work there dear! I LOVE your greenhouse!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm 

Wicking Raised Bed (Excellent for environments with low or intermittent rain fall!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwh2BQ3B ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Raised bed ready for planting, FINALLY! :mrgreen:
Cardboard
Newspaper
Final product

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:58 am 

Woo Hoo! Looking good, No Am's!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 am 

How would you feel about never having to pay for heating and cooling your home, for your water and sewage, for a bulk of your food bill...ever again?

Welcome to "EARTHSHIP" building design.

They don't HAVE to look like caves or hobbit homes...but watch this full length documentary to understand their value to sustainability and energy freedom!

GARBAGE WARRIOR

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 pm 

Shaper, I'm having distinct difficulties finding good permaculture blogs to follow to learn more. I believe you should write one.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm 

Anianna wrote:
Shaper, I'm having distinct difficulties finding good permaculture blogs to follow to learn more. I believe you should write one.

Funny you should mention that!

I am in the process of building a website that will have Permaculture articles (and MUCH more) as a part of the content.

I am estimating an "official" June launch date but you (or anyone else here that is interested) can go to the newly created Facebook fan page "OurSustainableSurvival" for updates on the launch date as well as links to current related external articles/blogs, and an occasional sweet nature pic I come across. :mrgreen:

I seriously just started this project a few days ago...gotta love serendipity!

The Link! ---> http://www.facebook.com/OurSustainableSurvival

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 pm 

Shaper wrote:
Anianna wrote:

Funny you should mention that!

I am in the process of building a website that will have Permaculture articles (and MUCH more) as a part of the content.

I am estimating an "official" June launch date but you (or anyone else here that is interested) can go to the newly created Facebook fan page "OurSustainableSurvival" for updates on the launch date as well as links to current related external articles/blogs, and an occasional sweet nature pic I come across. :mrgreen:

I seriously just started this project a few days ago...gotta love serendipity!

The Link! ---> http://www.facebook.com/OurSustainableSurvival

I will certainly be pimping this on my farmstead blog. :mrgreen:

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 am 

This guy has a nifty aquaponics set up.

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/s ... Aquaponics

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:24 pm 

Tagged for continued reading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 am 

Hey, sorry I have been away from the Interwebs for a while due to some surgeries and reoccuring health problems...anyhoo, just wanted to update this thread and spread a little more Permaculture love!

Here is a GREAT 3 part mini-documentary on Permaculture principles and practices for yoour viewing pleasure...Enjoy!

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/fa ... ary-series

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next