Improvised boats.

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Improvised boats.

Post by jamoni » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:06 pm

Okay, the cardboard boat link got me thinking about ways to ford bodies of water. I'd like a brainstorm of different ways to get ourselves and our gear across a river, lake, or stream. (or pool or fjord, or bay, etc. :) )
SO, I'll go first:
The obvious and not-so-easy to build or use Log raft.
The fabric and brush boat. Basically, you take a tarp or any other fabric, a big bundle of twigs and brush, and wrap the tarp around it. You crush down the middle for a place to sit or store your gear. If the fabric isn't watertight, you paint it. Voila, boat. These were very common back in the day, and if made from tough material last a suprisingly long time.
Framework and float: Make a wood frame (or use an old pallet). Attach large oil drums or paint cans or any other airtight floats. Or styrofoam if you got some. Voila. With enough drums you can float a car, bike, or ATV. http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/04/cubans/ :)
Dugout canoe which is low tech but takes forever.
You could use beer coolers as floats. Or inner tubes. Or air mattresses. Gas tanks from old trucks.
Um... my brain is tired. You guys try some.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 pm

or get a port-a-bote http://www.porta-bote.com/
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:48 pm

thorian wrote:or get a port-a-bote http://www.porta-bote.com/
I don't know if I consider ordering a product online to be "improvising". :D
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:06 pm

no but if you made one simalar to theirs with a refridgerator box that would be hard core.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:07 pm

thorian wrote:no but if you made one simalar to theirs with a refridgerator box that would be hard core.
:lol:

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:32 am

Whilst working on my families sailing school we used to run team building weeks. Big companies with to much cash send their employees out to us at great expense and they get back a more rounded and cooperative group with better problem solving skills. One of the activities I ran was raft building. The instructors best time for building a raft from 6 water drums, a few logs logs and some rope was 10 minutes. And it carried 8 people comfortably. If anyone is interested I can draw out the easiest design to build and even post up the basics of sailing for those who have never done it before.

akumabito

Post by akumabito » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:58 am

Pretty obvious maybe, but every container normally used to hold water, is per definition, watertight and therefore an be used as a flotation device, as long as it displaces enough water to keep afloat..

Bathtub anyone?

Cut out a small portion of the edge on the back and you could even fit a small outboard motor to it.

Now, if you are looking for something serious... Shipping containers are watertight too.. as long as the seals aren't cracked. Anyways, if you could get a couple of those, weld them shut and weld them together, fabricate a streamlined bow, find yourself som big ol' engines and some propellors, and you can make yourself a big-ass catamaran large enough to house a bunch of people... ok, -1 for realism or practicality, but the theory is sound. ;)
Why should I fear death? If I am, it is not. If it is, I am not. Why should I fear a thing that exists only when I do not?

JRod

Post by JRod » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:02 pm

akumabito wrote:Now, if you are looking for something serious... Shipping containers are watertight too.. as long as the seals aren't cracked. Anyways, if you could get a couple of those, weld them shut and weld them together, fabricate a streamlined bow, find yourself som big ol' engines and some propellors, and you can make yourself a big-ass catamaran large enough to house a bunch of people... ok, -1 for realism or practicality, but the theory is sound. ;)
That is if you can get your hands on a welder.

Living in a coastal community, the best improvised boat for me would be one of the thousands of boats sitting unused in my county. Around here boats can be used to travel up and down the many canals that keep my home above water (canal travel would be great in a zombie PAW). Also, I live about 20mins by car from the coastline and 30-45mins by car from the edge of the everglades. From the coast I could go north up the west coast of FL or south to the keys and around the tip to the bahamas. Just south of the Naples beaches are the "10 thousand islands". There really arent 10,000, but there are a lot and very few are inhabited. The everglades is pretty much the biggest swamp in the world :lol: I wouldnt want to try and live in it (mad insects, alligators, snakes, very little dry land) but the Seminole indians did for generations without problems.

So in a PAW I would either liberate a boat from one of the coastal marinas, nab a john boat from a nearby house, or liberate and airboat from one of the now useless tour companies if I were to head into the everglades.
Charter founder of the Hoff Squad Center for Hoff Appreciation. LLC 2008
kyle wrote:Like OMG... this thread is sooo two years ago.
BethDeath on the PAW w/out razors wrote:There will be hairy people fornicating everywhere. :D

akumabito

Post by akumabito » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:12 pm

How is an actual boat "improvised"?
Why should I fear death? If I am, it is not. If it is, I am not. Why should I fear a thing that exists only when I do not?

JRod

Post by JRod » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:33 pm

akumabito wrote:How is an actual boat "improvised"?
Because I didn't have one to begin with.
BethDeath on the PAW w/out razors wrote:There will be hairy people fornicating everywhere. :D

akumabito

Post by akumabito » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:44 pm

A boat is still a boat, stealing one is not to be confused with improvising one.. ;)

JRod

Post by JRod » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:56 pm

Peter Griffin wrote:A boat is just a boat, but the mystery box could be anything!... even a boat!
:lol: Sorry, your reply reminded me of that episode.

It's my personal preference to start with something sea worthy rather than try to build your own. A homebuilt boat might work okay for floating yourself down a canal around here, but thats about the only use I can see for it. Pretty much anything around me that I would need a boat for, I would need a real boat for. I would never take a homebuilt boat out into the Gulf of Mexico. Nor would any homebuilt boat be able to navigate the everglades. That's just what is dictated by my local area. We have an old beat up john boat behind our house that only needs a few plugs and its water ready, thats probably my first option if Im not far from home.

akumabito

Post by akumabito » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:11 pm

lol, I appreciate the Family Guy reference.. ;)

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:12 pm

You can make usable boats out of JUNK. In seen is on Junkyard wars, and My Frat (Nu Delta Ki Vikings) built and raced "viking long boats" out of trash that floated multiple men (...well, some of them did). It only takes a few hours of lashing garbage together to make a usable raft. How do you think all those Cuban Refugees make it to Florida? Its not on a Shiny new bass-boat I can tell you that much.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

JRod

Post by JRod » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:55 pm

mr.trooper wrote:How do you think all those Cuban Refugees make it to Florida? Its not on a Shiny new bass-boat I can tell you that much.
Actually the ones that make it are on real boats, usually speed boats. They pay big money in Cuba for what amounts to a blackmarket ticket out of their country. Most of the "floaters" are picked up by the Coast Guard when currents take their crafts away from Florida, or they die.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:05 pm

Obviously, a real boat is preferable to an improvised one. But then, it is hardly necessary to brainstorm ways to cross a river when you have a boat, now is it? :P
As for non-boat fording methods, there is the classic three-person belay, where two people hold the ends of a rope while one crosses, then the second person (or more in a larger group) crosses holding onto the secure rope, then the last person is brought across in the same manner as the first. This is risky but doable.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”