Plans for loose change?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Oukvekpwv
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil (Video Games)

Plans for loose change?

Post by Oukvekpwv » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 am

Do you keep a jar of pocket change? or do you ever go about cleaning and find a bunch of money that you didn't know you had?

This came up in conversation when we had our Iowa meet and greet. I have recently been in the process of cleaning up around and came across some loose change myself.

This morning I counted it:

$24.60

I've been tossing around the idea of cheap container gardening or possibly even small terrariums just to test out what kind of green thumb I have and start my path to self sufficiency.. Now I have something more than I knew I had to start..

Do you have any interesting stories or ideas with how you found or what you have done with your loose change?
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time - Fight Club
"The hunted have the advantage"

Interested in being part of a Central Iowa Chapter of ZS?
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 06&t=77560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
post there :D

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Plans for loose change?

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:34 am

I've had a jar for loose change for years. My ex-girlfriend wanted to put it on top of the fridge to give our apartment that stereotypical "low-income-couple-saving-for-something-feel". I counted it out yesterday (no where near full, but I was looking for something to do) $2 in pennies, $3 in nickels, $5 in dimes, $6.5 in quarters.

As for what I do with change; My car has cut outs for organizing change, I always keep these full for drive through or parking meeters. Beyond that, I'll take the pennies, nickels and dimes into the bank. I have a roll of $2 coins ($50) in one of my kits and a roll of $0.25 coins ($10) in another, this way I can make purchases from vending machines in a scenario where I cannot make purchases from vendors.

Also, you can save your quarters to use them like Alice.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 pm

I have a giant beer bottle that has over $125 in it currently. Most of my purchases are made with cash so it adds up in a hurry.

Im also anal about picking up change that I find on the ground. Last summer a resident in my building dumped a bunch of pennies in the parking lot, and yeah I picked up $0.50 worth of pennies.
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

Fixxxer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Snyder remake), 28 Days Later, Homecoming

Post by Fixxxer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

I kept a fish bowl near the door for years. Last month I dumped it into a coinstar and got just over $100 out of it. Out of sight, out of mind, but it does add up.
Rule #1: I'll not be laid a hand upon.
Rule #2: Never leave the house without a knife.
Rule #3: If you have the shot, take the shot.
Rule #4: [Removed by request of moderator].
Rule #5: There's an exception to every rule.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:18 pm

I have a DVD cylinder that change smaller than a quarter gets tossed into. It's free money for any of the family to take at any time. It's checked for pre-1964 coins from time to time.

The quarters are mine.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:24 pm

I use a gallon jug for this. There have been times that it fed the family those last 3 days before a paycheck... Mostly though it gets raided for Candy bars or whatever by the kids...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm

I have a 2-lb Folger's can that's almost full of change. I also recently bought a manual coin sorter. One of these days when I'm not wiped out from work, I will go to Staples, get some coin tubes, and sort all the change.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I have one of the big bank bags almost bursting with change (a little over $250). Currently I have it leaned against my bed to keep it from inching across the room every time I climb in.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

magdelaina
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, ROTLD3, Idle Hands, Doomsday

Post by magdelaina » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 pm

BullOnParade wrote: Also, you can save your quarters to use them like Alice.
Haha, beat me to it!

I've got a trick-or-treat pumpkin to collect change, it just goes into the bank when needed. There are usually over a hundred bucks in there unless the quarters have been skimmed out. You could always fill the toe end of a sock up with coins and swing it at some undead heads sort of like a flail. I think the resulting weapon is called a cosh.

Payne Dailey

Post by Payne Dailey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm

I use cash most of the time and throw change everywhere. A couple of weeks before Christmas, I'll roll a couple hundred in quarters and throw them under the seats for emergency use. I'll roll the rest to buy presents for the family.

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Post by Murphnuge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 pm

I have an old glass carboy that I dump all my change, no matter what kind goes in. I think the carboy is maybe 6 or 7 gallons. I raided it last summer while I was laid off a couple times. I took about $500 out of it total and it was about 1/3 full. I can't wait to fill it!
Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 pm

I have a paper route to keep me going on stuff I feel like doing plus I get $75 a week for gas and food (the rest of my bills are paid). Everytime I spend money, I pocket the change. The change gets emptied out daily into my piggy bank. this keeps me from spending as much money and it gives me anywhere from $10 to $40 a month in cash I can spend on something specific, like camping gear for my BOB/ZCon.

Because it is just a little bit each day, I never miss it.

EvilTOJ
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil movies

Post by EvilTOJ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:50 am

For people who don't like getting ripped off at Coinstar, many banks and credit unions will count your change for free. My credit union has a giant coin sorting machine in the lobby. I dump all the change into the tray and it counts it out and prints a receipt. I then take it up to the clerk and either deposit it or get it in dollar bills.
maddmatt wrote:I have one of the big bank bags almost bursting with change (a little over $250). Currently I have it leaned against my bed to keep it from inching across the room every time I climb in.
Does it have one of those giant $ signs on the side?
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm just going to surround my house with outward facing treadmills.
I should be fine.

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 am

EvilTOJ wrote:For people who don't like getting ripped off at Coinstar, many banks and credit unions will count your change for free. My credit union has a giant coin sorting machine in the lobby. I dump all the change into the tray and it counts it out and prints a receipt. I then take it up to the clerk and either deposit it or get it in dollar bills.
maddmatt wrote:I have one of the big bank bags almost bursting with change (a little over $250). Currently I have it leaned against my bed to keep it from inching across the room every time I climb in.
Does it have one of those giant $ signs on the side?
Nope, has the logo of the bank my aunt worked at on it.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

hudd357mag
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland/ 28 days later/ Walking Dead

Post by hudd357mag » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 am

I use Coinstar but use the gift card option. I use Amazon to order things anyways like DVDs or games for the kids. I get 100% of my coin value in Amazon credit. Plus Emergency Essentials sells thru Amazon. Just easier to use for me.
Preparing for the Apocalypse takes a lot more time and money than I originally thought. And patience.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:34 am

We keep an old fish bowl next to the clothes hamper; every year before go on vacation we pop in a movie and have a 'rolling party'. Usually generates ~$250 AFTER we sort through looking for old silver coins. The melt value of the handful of old coins we fished out last year was ~$300....we kept those.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 am

Figured here is a good place to share that American quarters and dimes were minted in silver up until 1964 according to Answers.com and Yahoo answers, and Canadian coins were apparently silver until 1968. I'm not trying to derail the thread here, but I know a lot of preppers like to pull that change from circulation and a thread on loose change would be a good place to share my findings.
BullOnParade

Oukvekpwv
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil (Video Games)

Post by Oukvekpwv » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 am

BullOnParade wrote:Figured here is a good place to share that American quarters and dimes were minted in silver up until 1964 according to Answers.com and Yahoo answers, and Canadian coins were apparently silver until 1968. I'm not trying to derail the thread here, but I know a lot of preppers like to pull that change from circulation and a thread on loose change would be a good place to share my findings.
yea I knew people who collected those sorts of rare coins.. should be more mindful of that myself.. never know what you're unware of that passes through your hands..
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time - Fight Club
"The hunted have the advantage"

Interested in being part of a Central Iowa Chapter of ZS?
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 06&t=77560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
post there :D

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am

Oukvekpwv wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:Figured here is a good place to share that American quarters and dimes were minted in silver up until 1964 according to Answers.com and Yahoo answers, and Canadian coins were apparently silver until 1968. I'm not trying to derail the thread here, but I know a lot of preppers like to pull that change from circulation and a thread on loose change would be a good place to share my findings.
yea I knew people who collected those sorts of rare coins.. should be more mindful of that myself.. never know what you're unware of that passes through your hands..
So true. I'm not a coin "collector" but I have a few cool finds that have come into my hands. One being an coin that I received as a dime, but was actually a half pound piece or something like that from India or Africa ... I don't remember specifics now, but I remember ones in good condition were selling online for about 3.50 CAD maybe 5 years ago, mine is far from mint, but still a cool find for pocket change.
BullOnParade

Mr.Pliskin

Post by Mr.Pliskin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

I always go through my spare change and look for pre 64 stuff, whatever change my daughter finds she puts in her piggy bank. Other than that the only interesting thing about change is that I have 1K in Nickles for the whole Gresham's law thing.

Agent

Post by Agent » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 pm

I save all the quarters for the laundry machine, so pennies, nickles and dimes add up pretty slowly. Pennies go in a jar and I don't know what to do with them, they mainly just annoy me. Dimes and nickles are set aside and mainly get used up in vending machines for snacks. Of course last month I found the one place I've been to in years that has a parking meter that accepts change only, and had no change in the car, so I need to put some in there. :roll:
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

Frank

Post by Frank » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:03 pm

my loose change is strictly fun money..whether it be beer, or gear.

last time around, i cashed about 60 bucks, and payed for an MSR Pocket rocket and a few canisters of fuel
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Crocuta crocuta
Favorite Zombie Movies: American zombie ( proves you can't trust those C*nts)
shaun of the dead, 28 days later, Dog soldiers (no zombie flick), S.H.U.D, dawn- day and night of the living dead, return of the living dead III

Post by Crocuta crocuta » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I've collected my euro change for 3 year and bought myself a Canon G11 camera.
and still had about 20 euro's left.
Now I'm saving for my wedding. :mrgreen:
We may not enjoy living together, but dying together isn't going to solve anything.

Twitter (Crocuta_mega)
to annoy the zombie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv47aM-cQeg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's very hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Demonstaff
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Weeks Later

Post by Demonstaff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 am

I throw a 10 or 20 in my jar every week so that when something comes up I've got a cash grab to take care of it. I just cashed out on it to help with my girlfriend's trip to St. Louis. I think I've got like 10 dollars left in it.

Note to self: use change for Taco Bell run today.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”