Infinite Veggies

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

magdelaina
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, ROTLD3, Idle Hands, Doomsday

Infinite Veggies

Post by magdelaina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 am

Here's a quick look into my infinite onions project. I was making some cream cheese dip one day and realized the green onions I was cutting up for it looked kinda like plants. A quick internet search confirmed that, in fact, they were! The tastey bits turned out to be leaves, and the ends were their roots. Since other plants are known to make it past a pruning, I thought these guys might too. I cut off all the green, let them harden over for a few hours, then poked them roots down into some unoccupied flower pots. A few days later, and they had reached their green fingers right back out of their window sill graves and I had quite the collection of Zombie Onions! Since then I've cut them back five times, and the fifth harvest is shown below. They were growing for about two weeks this time, but are usable in just 4 - 5 days. This round looks a little sad, but it's because I let them get too long and they couldn't stand up.

They're currently growing in a collection of things pulled from the kitchen trash bin, including a bit of old foil, a couple of used plastic cups, and some dirt swept up from a knocked over planter. The cups are doubled up, with a ball of foil and some water in the bottom one, and slits in the top one that houses the plants. You can see that the roots are making their way down into the water reservoir. I just soak the soil after a cutting, and forget about them until I need to use 'em. Super low maintenance, and this set up (including the plants) is made completely out of waste materials. If you include something like this in your preps, your ramen and instant potatoes will be much tastier, and probably a little healthier too, with practically no effort.

Here's a second group I've got going, just to see what happens when they aren't cut. That big leafy thing on the side was the very end of a cabbage from a couple of months ago. It was cut off and set aside to dry like the onions, then just pushed into the dirt and watered occasionally. I'm not sure what it's doing or if it will make another head, but it's still alive, and it's roots are practically filling the pot. It may be a transplant candidate once the outdoor garden set up.

KnightoftheRoc

Re: Infinite Veggies

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:36 am

Nicely done!

My only concern would be the foil you mentioned- it's not aluminum is it? I'd be concerned if it were, because some water supplies, like my own, are acidic, and can actually dissolve aluminum- which would end up in your food. Maybe some gravel, instead?

I like how you re-used everything in the project, and your results are downright impressive!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:08 pm

You had soil like that on your kitchen floor? You need to grow all kinds of stuff.

That is pure classic, something people pay money for can just as easily be grown right there.

Green onions are a good source of vitamin A and C.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

magdelaina

Post by magdelaina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:56 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote: My only concern would be the foil you mentioned- it's not aluminum is it? I'd be concerned if it were, because some water supplies, like my own, are acidic, and can actually dissolve aluminum- which would end up in your food. Maybe some gravel, instead?
Hmmm. Yeah, it was aluminum. I'm not sure if our water has the same issues, but went ahead and replaced it with some broken beer bottle. Thanks for the tip!
Blacksmith wrote:You had soil like that on your kitchen floor? You need to grow all kinds of stuff.
That kitchen floor can get pretty scary, sometimes it grows it's own stuff! :lol:

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:56 pm

God, Magz, that's great... And now beer bottle shards? Classic.

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

Launchteam1

Post by Launchteam1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but- is it the "Greens" that you're eating? Do they taste like onions? I'm used to just eating the onion itself. Neat idea!

magdelaina

Post by magdelaina » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Launchteam1 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but- is it the "Greens" that you're eating? Do they taste like onions? I'm used to just eating the onion itself. Neat idea!
Yeah, I'm snipping off and eating the green part as it grows. You can eat the whites at the bottom if you want, but thats what keeps them coming back. The greens are like thin hollow tubes and taste similar to onions, but are much milder. They are in the same family as leeks, chives, and other onions. They're also called spring onions or scallions.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”