It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:01 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

gundogs wrote:
ctbarb wrote:
I managed to can 5 qts of stew beef that I got on sale and 4 pts of peaches. These get added to the pantry along side the 14 pts of chicken I already have. Whenever I find meat or fresh fruit on sale I am doing this, as the prices just keep going higher and higher! We also did a canning demonstration for both pressure canners and hot water bath at our recent chapter 20 campout. We used the burner from a turkey fryer with a propane tank as a heat source and it turned out great! One of our members (not me!) is very proficient at all things canning. Hopefully we got a few more people interested in doing this.

Instructions for my pressure canner say to never use a propane turkey fryer. You didn't have any problems?
Did you inspect the bottom of the canner afterwards? Supposedly the burner's heat is too much
for the bottom

It was my canner (& my fryer) - I did not notice any issues and I'll check both the bottom and the instructions when I'm home. I was pretty diligent about turning the fryer down once we hit pressure to just maintain pressure. ETA - my instruction book says nothing about turkey fryers, or heat sources, and my canner seems fine. It's an All-American, so it's pretty heavy duty cast aluminum - the pot that came with the fryer appears to be aluminum also, just not nearly so thick. Other canners might have different issues.

I assume the waterbath canner had no issues - that wasn't mine but it's just a big kettle.

second edit- googling around - apparently presto and mirro pressure canners are only rated to like 12,000-15,000 btu's and turkey fryers have trouble staying below that. All-americans seem to be good because of the thicker cast and the fact that they're weight gauge. Other problems with turkey fryers seem to come from quick pressure fluctuations which we avoided by judicious turning-down of the fryer. I'm glad we used my canner and not one of the others. :shock: Just goes to show how important it is to read the manual for YOUR canner.

water bath canners and turkey fryers are supposedly good to go.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 pm 

This thread's been slow for a bit...

I am hitting the local recycler tomorrow to get cash for my steel & aluminum cans, several defunct off-brand battery backup units, extra wiring & toast electronics, etc. Not much cash, but I'll get more room in my garage.

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:23 pm 

Been working on rebuilding the family BOB's...been coming along pretty good...

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115125

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:12 am 

I replaced some outdated foodstores and set up Google caledar reminders to let me know when things are approaching their expirations so we can consume and replace them before they go bad next time.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:35 am 

Built a pantry in the coat closet, and my better half stocked it (she's getting in to prepping...YAY!)

1" supports on the back and sides...

3/4" sanded pine plywood for the shelving...

And Stocked!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:46 pm 

Got a little motivated, so the next day, I decided to build this:

Frame using top-choice 2x4's

Attached the top...very smooth 3/4" sanded oak

Some peg board on the back for attaching whatever...

And into the Man Cave where it functions as a command and control center :D

Complete with scanner, CB, switching power supply, and even solar back-up provided by 2ea. 50-watt panels and two 115aH Deep Cycle Marine Batteries!

This was my own design, designed to incorporate the back board, so if any body wants measurements/hardware size, etc., lemme know!

Basic hardware was 3" wood screws (I used cabinet screws, it was all they had, but it just made it a little beefier) for the 2x4 connections, and 1-5/8" wood screws for attaching the top.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:01 pm 

@angelofwar

Good job on the shelving. I did a similar type setup with the shelves in my office, starting off the back wall like that. But, I used eight foot 2x4's for the sides, as well as a center post support. The shelves I made are 8' wide, so that middle post was definitely needed. I'm eyeing all the canned goods on the shelves you made, as that makes me nervous. lol

The workbench is also good - simple integrated design. I want to do something similar but probably 20' long once I get to build land I have not yet bought. For now, my rolling 8' no-back bench/drying table will have to suffice. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 pm 

Recently started getting some things to be prepped.

Bought an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator, A Vaccuum sealer, Some canning supplies, a Wondermill Jr Deluxe Grain Mill, and a Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter. Looking to get a Berkey for the house but wanted something for the BOB. Began adding some foodstuffs to the non existant stores but not much there yet. Need to seriously figure out water storage for this cold climate (Alberta, Canada).

At least my eyes are opening...

Mum-O-Killowe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:21 pm 

I finished building a bio-sand water filter as a test.

• Two 5-gallon buckets & lids
  • Medium river rock gravel (40 or 50lb bag)
  • Small river rock gravel (40-50lb bag)
  • Fine gravel from aquarium store (smallest bag)
  • Medium sand (50 lb bag)
  • Fine sand from aquarium store (smallest bag)
  • Some 3/4" PVC, a couple elbows & adapters

I used less than half of each of the big bags. The two small bags were completely used.

With a little drilling, some PVC cement, a tiny bit of chlorine bleach and decent planning, I have a system that can make water safe to drink. I followed a video for it I found on YouTube. I'll tally up the costs and take some photos shortly.

It's not a fast filter: 5 gallons takes 45+ minutes at least and possibly a few hours. I haven't watched it because it's slow. And the design requires 7.5 gallons into the system because roughly half the bucket will still have water in it after it's done filtering. Plus it's HEAVY. But in a pinch it would work quite well. Haven't been brave enough to taste the water yet.

I caught 165 gallons of rainwater from the roof the other day. A tiny bit of roof (6' x 2' above our sliding glass door) is what generated that in about 10 minutes from a thunderstorm! I'd have thousands of gallons if I had downspouts on this rental house. I am using that water to test out the filter & get the microbes inside up to speed.

I didn't build this one specifically for drinking water, but now I know how to do that.

I built it to filter out lead & gunpowder residue from water I used to clean 223/5.56mm brass in my cement mixer. I found good scientific documentation that this kind of filter actually does an excellent job with the lead (and other heavy metals) in particular. Once I put THAT water in this filter, tasting it is no longer part of the plan. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:11 am 

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:
@angelofwar

Good job on the shelving. I did a similar type setup with the shelves in my office, starting off the back wall like that. But, I used eight foot 2x4's for the sides, as well as a center post support. The shelves I made are 8' wide, so that middle post was definitely needed. I'm eyeing all the canned goods on the shelves you made, as that makes me nervous. lol

The workbench is also good - simple integrated design. I want to do something similar but probably 20' long once I get to build land I have not yet bought. For now, my rolling 8' no-back bench/drying table will have to suffice. :)

Thanks! Yeah, I knew the cans would be heavy, so I opted for the the thicker plywood. Been holding up so far :0). I'll probably build another of these using the same design. I'll keep different sizes to allow me more flexability in moving them around, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:14 pm 

Hmmm, this thread's gone quiet again. I'll chime in to goose it.

Here's the advantages my new rental house has over the existing one.

• No HOA
  • I can park my RV in the driveway which has the extra space (better security for the motorhome)
  • It has an extra 2-car garage (including additional attic storage in it)
  • Tons of outdoor equipment storage area (one whole side of the house was a fenced-in dog run)
  • Covered patio + plenty of concrete otherwise (this is awesome for my rain barrels)
  • No HOA = I can put temporary used gutters on the eaves to feed the rain barrels. I have tons of roofline that is easily accessible this way.
  • Automated sprinklers = better fire protection
  • Roughly 3 miles closer to work
  • Better house alarm
  • Plenty of room for raised bed gardens
  • Closer to many more businesses for my teenage son to get a job at
  • Overall lower utility bills
  • Only need to mow the front (back is more akin to xeriscape)

And the disadvantages

• Slightly higher rent (even with RV storage savings)
  • Slightly smaller sq footage (we lose about 400 sq ft living space)
  • Deeper into suburbia vs farther out (which is our goal)
  • Older home = more likely to need repairs (even if by the landlord)

I am dying to move in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:52 pm 

Now that I'm in my new rental, I get to park my RV right there at home with us.

ZAG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:57 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.
Got my DTaP booster shot, so I'm covered for tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (aka the Whooping Cough), for awhile. Also had my prostate checked, since it's Movember. Also signed up to take a CPR/AED refresher class.

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm 

I got industrious today.

I built this out of recycled deck wood I got from craigslist.

It's 12' long x 2.5' wide x 2' tall platform made mostly of 2" x 6" pressure treated wood. I doubled up the legs first then secured each one with four 3" screws to each 12' board. I added cross braces underneath for added stability. This thing is HEAVY. Leveling it out a bit was a real bear because the ground next to the wall is all funky with extra cement from the foundation having spilled all over ages ago.

I would have room for 6 barrels, but I re-used the PVC I already had cut to length. You can't see it but in the centerline across all the barrels a 2" PVC pipe underneath connects all five barrels, and ends in a ball valve with hose adapter on the far end.

I connected the PVC with rubber gasket connectors + corrugated aluminum collars. That way I can re-configure any time I want., I just have to measure new PVC.

The gutter system is frankensteined together out of various CraigsList materials. But it works and the price of FREE was perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:08 am 

Started soaking a bunch of tree and shrub seeds. Most of them need a short warm stratification period followed by a long cold stratification period in order to germinate. I'm aiming to have most of them be ready to plant in early May to mid June, depending on whether I'm starting them indoors or directly seeding them into the ground.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:55 pm 

Ordered a 12v battery from Ebay for my UPS using the proceeds from empty CCI 22LR plastic ammo boxes I sold there.

Not this week but earlier in January I picked up 100 four-gallon square buckets & lids for free from a local food company. They had hundreds and hundreds of them posted on CraigsList. They make salad dressings etc so all of these are food grade. I washed all the lids in the dishwasher and the buckets will get hand washed as I need them. All for about $4 in gas.

I had built another 8' tall shelf to store bulk food. This one is only 4' wide and 14" deep with 4 shelves, but I can add a 5th shelf to it later. Wish I had the buckets before I built the shelves since I can't put 4 1/2 buckets on each shelf.

I gave away the 8-10 random sized circular buckets I had been using. And I did a much better job of labelling the contents of each, all of which made everything look far more uniform. The wife likes the new appearance much better than the previous look. hahahahah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cleaned and organized the pantry, added 25lbs rice, 15lbs flour, 14lbs "add water" pancake mix, salt, cinnamon in bug proof containers, rotated water and added 16 gallons bleach stabilized water. Planning to take the one month pantry challenge soon. I think we're almost ready.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:15 pm 

Just bought eight chicks after building a large coop. When they're a little older, I plan on letting them be free range birds. I'm really looking forward to some eggs in the future. :clap:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:44 pm 

Bought 7 2032 rechargable batteries and a charger.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:38 pm 

Ordered an ignition actuator arm for our truck. Gotta get it started with a key in the near future instead of with a screwdriver. I dropped off the door lock to the local locksmith to see if he can re-key it or not. Would also be nice to have door keys since I bought the truck without them.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm 

wow what an awesome thread. I hadn't known about this one. So glad it has been revived. Now I need to spend day or two to sift through it.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ineffableone wrote:
wow what an awesome thread. I hadn't known about this one. So glad it has been revived. Now I need to spend day or two to sift through it.

Literally just stumbled upon this myself, did just that for ideas and motivation :clap:

Trying to get off soda, so I've started drinking the flavored bottled water from Aldi my wife drinks, works out to be cheaper than soda even if I drink two bottles everyday; bought two extra cases last grocery trip, this allows me to extend my water storage by providing extra water just for drinking.
Bought the MFT rail light for my carbine, bought a new holster for my home defense belt.
Doing research on what stove I want to get for power outage cooking since that's one major thing we're lacking because all we have is a charcoal grill, anybody like those little butane stoves they use for "hotpot"?
In the process of working through a fiction story, I brain stormed with my wife to get us both thinking of what WE would do in case of a total shtf situation bug in. She's okay with me prepping, but doesn't get involved, I need her input because she thinks of things in different ways.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:04 pm 

Letting kid learn some new skills on our mower that died years ago. He's been taking everything apart and sending me requests for parts. Who knows, maybe he'll get it running. Regardless, he's learning valuable skills.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:52 pm 

Cleaned up my shop which sorely needed it. Got a ton of usable space again instead of having a dozen projects all scattered throughout it.

Straightened up the tool shed which I had been using since last fall as my spray-paint booth. I took down all the plastic tarps and sprayed with a pressure wand to get most of the paint off. I'll flip it over and cut up this monster to use them to line my raised bed gardens. Three 4' x 8' x 16" beds in the back yard.

Price of gas is back down to $1.82 in my neighborhood. Going to fill my spares this weekend again since I used them recently to rotate through.

Got the door locks re-installed on the truck and the new keys work. Gotta get to the ignition actuator tomorrow since I just put a deposit down on the steering wheel puller tool at OReilly.

My wife wants added R12 freon in the older sedan we just got. Texas is a bit hotter than Missouri. Finding that on Ebay or Amazon is likely easier than getting it anywhere locally.

Need to take photos of the van to sell it on CL or maybe bring it to CarMax. Gotta get the car off our insurance but can't do that until the sedan's AC is working great.

Starting with my son's live driver's education. First class is an hour of walking around the car pointing out what's what. Wow. He did that like 3 years ago on his own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next