How Have You Prepared Today? (Bug-in Location Edition)

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: How Have You Prepared Today? (Bug-in Location Edition)

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Gave one of my Moringa tree starts to a neighbor to plant in their back yard... Man, those things grow fast!

Diversifying the local edible environment while building relationships!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:11 am

Saturday and Sunday shoveled about a ton(no joke) of of waste feed and manure onto our garden beds where we've already pulled up onions, leeks, cabbages, cucumbers and potatoes. Could have done it in about a half hour with a Bobcat but it would have gone to waste just dumping it.
The area in which I shoveled it up was so 'ripe' I was afraid to light a cigarette thinking I might blow myself up in a cloud of methane. Hopefully it isn't too 'hot' next year when it's time to plant again.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

SurvivorGirl16

Post by SurvivorGirl16 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 am

I rotated my Food Storage and made a new shopping list to replenish what we have used.
Put an order in for some cow and turkey for the freezer.
Price shopped for metal doors with deep inset hinge/screws and also for shatter proof window covers (typically used for earthquake proofing).
Made plans to expand and conceal the storage area.

:crazy: Phew!

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Did my weekly drop-in at the consignment shop...I LOVE finding awesome stuff, even if it's only once every month or two. Most of the time I buy nothing. Any-who, found a Uniden PC78 Elite...still had the peel away plastic cover on the dash. $10. Did a function check with the power cord in my truck, works fine. It was missing the power cord and bracket, but I plan on puttign this in the shed for use as a base station.

Ordered a new power cord for it for $9 from Amazon

Also grabbed 500 rounds of 22 long for ~$20 :D
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 am

Is prepping ever finished? While we have both the BOL and the BIL right now our energies and finances are being put into our BIL. We took down a large dead tree that bordered the swamp, subsequently opened up around the bananas and plantains, planted some fruit trees, plan to plant more trees and security landscaping and found a source for 22lr which is a bear to find around here.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 am

Nope.
You have it all sorted out, and the next thing you know it's been 3 years or someone needs a little boost so you hand some out... and it's time to concentrate on it again.

Gave several dozen canning jars to one of my neighbors who is learning to can.
I consider that preparing, because the more people around you who can do for themselves, the better.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Finally got my first lot of fully prepped reloaded bullets ready to shoot. I have about 50 in two different groups with OAL's about 0.01" to 0.02" apart. I am finally going to see how they fire.

Went to the range down the road from me maybe a mile or so, only to realize oops its Sunday and they're already closed. Rats! I wanted to try these out. But since I took forever to make them, a couple more days to shoot them won't hurt too much.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:30 am

Bought a single shot cattle shotgun off a co-worker for cheap along with a good amount of ammo for it.

Fully tricked out my composite bow for hunting (Got 50 more four point tipped arrows for it,) along with my INCH bag for it.

Compiled a laundry list of long lasting food for my pantry (Red beans, rice and oats.) Also have lots and lots of tuna.

smgeaghan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later & Zombieland

Post by smgeaghan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:00 pm

I'll be transferring over my moringa tree plants into separate pots today

ZS Fleet #0481

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 pm

I put about 100 pears from my pear trees into a single gallon size ziplock bag (after dehydrating them).
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Now that's being efficient! 100 pears would normally be what - 2 bushels or thereabout? All in a one gallon bag.
Zombie Apocalypse Games

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:01 pm

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:Now that's being efficient! 100 pears would normally be what - 2 bushels or thereabout? All in a one gallon bag.
100 pears fit roughly into three plastic shopping bags before peeling and coring.

The shrinkage is awe inspiring and well worth the preparation. It saves a fortune and I also would much rather eat dried pears than canned. Pears are one of the few fruits that did well this year. The winter was really cold and then we had a late frost after budding that killed a whole bunch of fruit.

Yesterday I dehydrated a bunch of sour apples. Sour apples taste amazing when dried, way better than fresh. About 40 apples filled half a bag.

Note to those interested in drying fruit. Do not try to eat a whole lot of thoroughly dried fruit. You could give yourself some serious stomach problems. Make sure you understand how much you are eating.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

lovesmuggler

Post by lovesmuggler » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Bought the last bit of silver at the Northwest Territorial Mint (they said they've been non-stop busy for two days).

Picked up a new set of lockpicks specifically for my E&E kit on my plate carrier (and an ounce of gold bullion).

Immediately went to the store to grab heat shrink tubing because they were hurting my fingers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!
http://www.primrosestation.com

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Getting set up in a new, larger apt with better lines of sight to the streets, as well as two exits. Related, moved 75 lbs of dry rice, 40 lbs of canned beans, 20 gallons water, and a bunch of ammo to the new place, along with one of the safes and the secondary vehicle.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Ordinary
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, Zombieland

Post by Ordinary » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

I worked toward my weight and fitness goals. By the end I will be able to run a 5K, and do 200 situps, squats, and push ups.

I also planted more greens and cabbage.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:28 pm

20 more rounds of 00-Buck for "Castle Defense" :D
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 am

Today (and by today I mean over the last week) me and Mrs Roo moved out of our apt and into a rental house. It's the same sq footage, has a decent back yard, a much larger garage, and it's saving us about $500 a month in rental fees.

Now that we have some proper storage space, it's time to build up the food storage and emergency preps.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:54 pm

roOism,

For now, we're also in a rental house. Doesn't mean you can't grow "stuff". If it can grow in your zone, the moringa tree mentioned by others above can be a renewable high-vitamin asset. Add some sweet potatoes or yams (edible tubers & leaves/young shoots) and you've got a start on renewable food.

yummbrains
Favorite Zombie Movies: Colin, Dawn of the Dead

Post by yummbrains » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Well folks, I'm feeling pretty bad ass right now. The pantry is deeper than it's ever been, I have some packaged foods stored outside of the pantry, and I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of first aid & sanitation supplies. The bucket is easy for me to dig into or grab & go.

Now I just need to spend some time improving the organization of it all. I've been working on the pantry slowly and I just splurged to get the rest this week.

Shout out to the winter, ebola, and other scary things, for the motivation.

Preps ftw.

closingresponse

Post by closingresponse » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:11 am

Another 7 gallon water container like this: http://www.bimart.com/skudetail.aspx?lo ... nm=Coolers

picked up 50 rounds of 9mm FMJ for 10.99 on sale.
and two packs of mountain house entrees also on sale.

Mrs ClosingResponse is going to pickup a new Foodsaver this week.
gravediggerfour wrote:I save mine and mix it with Unicorn semen and rainbow tears. I use this mixture to lube my AR.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:42 am

Continued reloading. Almost one hundred more 9mm rounds using my own cast lead projectiles, and my reloading press broke! Argh. It's old (from the 40's maybe 50') but has a lifetime warranty, so hopefully will get replaced quite quickly.

I was just getting into my rhythm on reloading, finally working out the kinks I had experienced. Even reliable equipment can go south.

Plus I started getting a real reloading bench going. Bunch of 2"x7"12' long pine boards have now been turned into a two-board thick 28"x48" top deck. Now it needs some 4x4 legs & a shelf underneath but my son & I had fun getting this much done already.
Zombie Apocalypse Games

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 am

FYI--opened a can of coffee with a "use by" date of 2010--it was fine

ctbarb
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Day of the Dead

Post by ctbarb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:42 pm

I managed to can 5 qts of stew beef that I got on sale and 4 pts of peaches. These get added to the pantry along side the 14 pts of chicken I already have. Whenever I find meat or fresh fruit on sale I am doing this, as the prices just keep going higher and higher! We also did a canning demonstration for both pressure canners and hot water bath at our recent chapter 20 campout. We used the burner from a turkey fryer with a propane tank as a heat source and it turned out great! One of our members (not me!) is very proficient at all things canning. Hopefully we got a few more people interested in doing this.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:55 am

ctbarb wrote:I managed to can 5 qts of stew beef that I got on sale and 4 pts of peaches. These get added to the pantry along side the 14 pts of chicken I already have. Whenever I find meat or fresh fruit on sale I am doing this, as the prices just keep going higher and higher! We also did a canning demonstration for both pressure canners and hot water bath at our recent chapter 20 campout. We used the burner from a turkey fryer with a propane tank as a heat source and it turned out great! One of our members (not me!) is very proficient at all things canning. Hopefully we got a few more people interested in doing this.
Instructions for my pressure canner say to never use a propane turkey fryer. You didn't have any problems?
Did you inspect the bottom of the canner afterwards? Supposedly the burner's heat is too much
for the bottom

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”