How Have You Prepared Today? (Bug-in Location Edition)

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lovesmuggler

Re: How Have You Prepared Today? (Bug-in Location Edition)

Post by lovesmuggler » Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Planted four fruit trees, started another fence, potted the other 10 bare root trees to let grow inside.
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!
http://www.primrosestation.com

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Re-organizing the prep pantry, removing the stuff with upcoming expirations (that we're not going to eat) to go to the food bank. Keeping peanut butter and shortening in rotation is a pain. They're fantastic calorie-dense items but we don't use as much of either one as I'd want to have on hand if I were eating the food storage, and they have relatively shorter shelf lives. At least I can keep the oil in rotation well enough.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Benny
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Benny » Mon May 20, 2013 8:36 am

Well, a lot of projects in-progress, but here are this past weekend's preps:

1) Borrowed The Tiller From Hell (it feels like I've been mauled by a rabid polar bear with hemorrhoids) from a coworker and tilled about 2/3 of the garden. The wife and mother-in-law got a lot of planting done: corn, peppers, tomatoes, tomatillas, beans, peas, cukes.

2) Got the damaged footing for the chicken coop re-poured. It's going to look like the window-licking special kid (three 8" footings and one 12" footing, heh), but it's solid and I should be able to start framing this coming Memorial Day weekend. :)

3) We also tilled up a separate patch of ground for asparagus.

4) I Groupon'ed two IP cameras to keep an eye on the chickens and garden, but unfortunately, the WiFi is out of range, so I ordered 300' of direct burial CAT5 to run network out to them.

The projects wobble on...
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"
Chapter electrician & mad scientist

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Washed and sanitized 20 new Waterbricks. It's a lot of work to do 20 at a time. If you do this in a tub where you have to lean down, make good use of horse-stance or you'll kill your back. We filled 10 blue ones with water and put them in storage. The 10 brown ones will be dried for dry food and honey storage.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 pm

LDS cannery run with a bunch of ZS020 folks, much fun was had and they very kindly didn't kvetch (much) about the fact that I got 4 cases of powdered milk, which is messy as hell, and nobody else ordered any.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:08 pm

It's apple time. Kids are climbing and picking and both of our dehydrators are going full time. I don't think this will be much in the way of preps, though, as those dried apple disappear really quickly around here.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:22 am

Anianna wrote:It's apple time.
Our apples are still a week or two out yet.
But canning green beans and tomatoes is in full swing.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:25 am

Anianna wrote:It's apple time. Kids are climbing and picking and both of our dehydrators are going full time. I don't think this will be much in the way of preps, though, as those dried apple disappear really quickly around here.
Put them in containers marked "3# sliced zucchini".

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 am

Tater Raider wrote:
Anianna wrote:It's apple time. Kids are climbing and picking and both of our dehydrators are going full time. I don't think this will be much in the way of preps, though, as those dried apple disappear really quickly around here.
Put them in containers marked "3# sliced zucchini".
The kids like zucchini, too. Besides, they are doing most of the work, so i suppose they should get the fruits of their labor. I did manage to hide a quart ziplock of dried apples away for myself. :mrgreen:

∩(=^_^=)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Got #100 of popcorn, #100 of rice, 6# yeast and 2 pints of pure vanilla for the food storage.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Drool - "2 pints of pure vanilla"
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:33 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Drool - "2 pints of pure vanilla"
Lasts about forever (the vanilla will outlast the plastic it's in), does not grow in my AO, I can rotate thru it before it goes off, mixes vitally well with many of my other food storage items (powdered milk, wheat, cocoa, rice, oatmeal) can trade if needed, and, as ZG said -

kwailo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kwailo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:18 pm

I canned 14 pints of medium spiced chili today. Butter chicken and jerk chicken is the plan for tomorrow, thighs were on sale. :) My in laws bought me the canner for Christmas, so I have been giving them some of everything I make. That will have to stop soonish...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:54 pm

New second generator.

New generator par KJ4VOV, on ipernity

The first will probably be sold to another ZS member nearby. The second was bought because I needed one with electric start, since I'm a feeble old fart with a gimp leg, bad back, and some other health issues who couldn't get the damned pull start one to start yesterday when we lost power.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Canned 7 quarts of turkey stock and 30 pints of ground turkey browned with onion. Next up after the long weekend - more chili!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat May 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Just finished re-reading "One Second After" and immediately went on a minor buying binge on Amazon for long-term food preps.

Planted a couple Moringa seeds in our back yard and put a bag of 100 more in the pile of stuff to take out to our primary BOL (I know this is bug-in) to plant around the largest tank (pond) on the property.

Also harvested my second tomato off the single plant we have in our back yard for a tasty tomato sandwich! We really, really need to finish our side yard vegetable garden, and build the "salsa" garden (tomatoes, several varieties of peppers and a couple types of onions) we have planned for one side of the back yard.

Herb garden is going gang busters, but we really need to get some real food growing...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Wasn't today, but I've been tending to the numerous milk-jug planters in my back yard. I put in flowers in one, followed by bell peppers and followed that alternating pattern all the way around the yard. It'll make the wife happy once the flowers really get going - they are Nasturniums and should be nice bright colors.

My wife is also the #1 consumer of red, orange and green bell peppers in the household. Those things are a buck a piece at the store!

Image on Flickr

I've got 21 planter jugs with holes cut in the bottom for drainage. I'll transplant when they peppers are big enough.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 pm

duodecima wrote:LDS cannery run with a bunch of ZS020 folks, much fun was had and they very kindly didn't kvetch (much) about the fact that I got 4 cases of powdered milk, which is messy as hell, and nobody else ordered any.
Nice! Is there any chance folks will be going again sometime during the summer? I work in Lisle, the town next to Naperville and I have been regretting not being able to make the LDS cannery visits when we've had them.

With baby Slappy due by the end of summer we are scrambling to both pare-down our 'in kitchen' pantry/food stock and looking to switch to 'unconventional' storage locations. Having only about 1/3 of the total storage space we used to have at the old house is a royal PITA.
Anianna wrote:Washed and sanitized 20 new Waterbricks. It's a lot of work to do 20 at a time. If you do this in a tub where you have to lean down, make good use of horse-stance or you'll kill your back. We filled 10 blue ones with water and put them in storage. The 10 brown ones will be dried for dry food and honey storage.
I think that waterbricks may very well be the solution to some of our storage issues, thanks for sharing Ms. Anni. Maybe I'll buy 2 for a trial see if I can get the Mrs. on board with the system too.

On topic: Rotated out the food cans near their expiration date.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 am

My BIL is a 2-bedroom apartment with a balcony, so prepping is mostly stocking up on Beans, Bullets, and Band-Aids. Today's preps were a case of canned beans and a flat of bottled water. I started stocking up with no real plan for inventory control, so it's time to haul everything out and check quantities and expiration dates.

We don't have any ground for gardening but we've been talking about starting a hanging kitchen garden of tomatoes, onions, peppers, and herbs. I also have my eye on a Door Devil security kit after my neighbor had their door kicked in during a daylight robbery while the parents were at work and the kids were at school.

I also replaced the battery in my Bug Out Vehicle. It was 4+ years old, and in the desert heat I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
SU-16C, Glock, and cake.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:52 am

Finally filled the 55 gallon food grade drum with potable water. I bought it a while back and was torn between locating it on our second floor deck or cement grade street level back of house storage area. Cement grade won.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Halfway through a Greywater/rainwater collection system for my home. It will give me the ability to store water above the house and use gravity to feed it back. Initially, it's just for garden use, but once it's fully working, with proper filtration, I should be able to store several hundred gallons of rain water for later use and filtration.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 9&t=112847
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Sold my first 55 gallon water barrel today, 1 day after my first post to CraigsList. Now the wife understands there is $$$ to be had, she wants in. hahahahaha
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

celtic_phoenix
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by celtic_phoenix » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Swung by the local LDS cannery(so nice to have it 10 minutes from home) and picked up 50lbs of the hard white wheat they have. Also got shipping notification on my order from Ready store, woot! One can shy of full cases of freeze dried corn, sweet peas, and green beans.

Slowly but steadily working on the longer term storage supplies as right now I am living with my mom and the shorter termed stuff disappears before I have a chance to add it to inventory(well most of it anyways). Once I am out on my own with the kidlings water is a high priority, already have 2 25 gallon tanks in mind disguised as planters, and may just get 4 total, and a few stackable containers as well.

Speaking of inventory, updated said list and thinking about if there is anything else I need to add to it.
ZS fleet number ZS-0491
Not all who wander are lost. J. R.R. Tolkien
You can take the girl out of Kansas, but can't take the Kansas out of the girl.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 pm

This is from a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot to post it here.

We had a wicked winter! Our office lost power several times and, had I not been on maternity leave, it's very possible that I would have been trapped by an ice storm or two. So.... I'm prepared to bug-in at the office.

Was all by my lonesome one night, and one of the guys on YouTube challenged us to show him our favourite meal, so I figured I'd give my office bug-in food prep kit a work-out with a homemade stew. Didn't take any pics but here's a video:

Thanks for looking!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”