Increasing Generator efficiency

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Steev

Increasing Generator efficiency

Post by Steev » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:04 pm

I found this in a Z car forum I am a member in, they were discussing using acetone to increase fuel mileage in their cars and someone posted using it in their generator during hurricane WIlma, and with one ounce of acetone got 4 more hours runtime on a tank of fuel.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=2 ... 7&t=141437
-S9teev
"Theres no 9 in Steve"
"It's a silent 9"

SKS, 10/22, 870P, 1911, AR15, TT33

BejamminR
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Walking Dead

This one is extremely questionable.

Post by BejamminR » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:47 pm

I track my mileage on every tank - I believed this one too. I used acetone for 10-15 tanks. Initially, I was very hopeful and thought there was an increase in fuel efficiency, but it turns out there wasn't.

I've done this in two vehicles - a '94 turbo diesel Jetta, and a '94 Saturn SL1 (gasoline). I was mixing in about 2 ounces per 50-litre fill in the Jetta (+/- about 3 litres) and about 4 ounces per 50-litre fill in the Saturn.

I'd hoped for it, but no.

This doesn't categorically rule it out, but I would caution against it unless you can demonstrate proof of the concept yourself.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”