Growing immunity problem with today’s youth

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BoltAction

Growing immunity problem with today’s youth

Post by BoltAction » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Ok so I am going to rant here a little so hang in there. I want to forewarn anyone (or anyone who has kids) with a peanut allergy that I will be using that example in a negative fashion. I don’t mean to belittle the whole thing or offend anyone but I think it’s a valid topic so if this may offend you just move along....

Ok, so I am 26. Not that old. When I was growing up all the way through high school we NEVER encountered people with said “peanut allergy”. The whole argument that it was around but no one knew what it was is utter bullshit. If it was around like it is today kids would have been dropping like flies. For the past few years it’s been a common trend that kids are “allergic” to all sorts of previous unheard of shit. Peanuts are just one example. While this is just speculation, I think it’s defiantly related to our societies view on parenting and prescription drugs.

When I was young I sat in the sandbox and ate dirt; I got into the cat food one day and ate that, I once ate a worm; and my mother was constantly smacking my hand to get me to keep my fingers out of my mouth. Coincidently, I hardly get sick. I had pollen allergies for a while but my parents didn’t believe in medicating me for it and thus after a few years of hell they went away. I got poison ivy so bad once it got into my bloodstream and spread allover my body. A month later and to date, I am damn near immune to the stuff.

What I am getting at is my parents didn’t “over baby me” or rely on prescription drugs to solve all my problems. In a society that pops pills like they are going out of style, I hole hardily believe that we are weakening our and thus future generations immune systems. My evidence? For those of you over 25, how many of you had or even knew someone with peanut allergies? How about a child that got the chicken pox so bad they were hospitalized? The list goes on forever but I think my point has been made.

Today’s children’s immune systems are just not built up like they were years ago. Now, if I was like 45+ years old this might not be such a shock but come on people, this was not to long ago! If we keep it up at this rate we are going to have to put our kids in giant seclusionary plastic bubbles before sending them off to school.

How does this affect the human race? Well eventually its probably going to wipe us out. Today people are allergic to peanuts, tomorrow... who knows. I don’t want to think about it.

Anyone else care to comment? I dread thinking about how these kids would fare in a PAW. Sadly, most would be screwed.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:17 pm

I have really bad normal alleriges, and am allergic to milk. I can see what you're saying about normal, hay fever type of allergies, I agree to a point. However, I seriously doubt that I am allergic to milk because of being "babied," since I nearly died from an allergic reaction to it when I was three months old. Anyone who doesn't "baby" a three month old is fucked up, in my opinion. :lol: And I did all of the things you mentioned, except it was ants instead of worms, and I never got poison ivy that bad, though I did eat some.

saint_villas

Re: Growing immunity problem with today’s youth

Post by saint_villas » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:29 pm

BoltAction wrote:
I had pollen allergies for a while but my parents didn’t believe in medicating me for it and thus after a few years of hell they went away.
I have had pollen allergies for a while, took medication and at 17 they are begining to go away.

But yes, I agree, it seems that overmedication is producing a generation with weaker immune systems. In fact, sometimes it is better to get the disease and have it done and over with. Such as chicken pox.

Chicken Pox when contracted by a child, only produces discomfort. However, on an adult, it can be fatal. A co-worker of mine told me the story about how when him and his brother had chicken pox, and an 18 year old neigbor was sent over to babysit. However, he had never contracted chicken pox before and he was later hospitalised when he contracted it.

Yeah, I am very glad my mom sent me to play with the little girl who had chicken pox.
Damn ninja union, always ruining my plans.

BoltAction

Post by BoltAction » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:47 pm

bgaesop wrote:However, I seriously doubt that I am allergic to milk because of being "babied," since I nearly died from an allergic reaction to it when I was three months old. Anyone who doesn't "baby" a three month old is fucked up, in my opinion. :lol:

I totally agree that some people just got the short end of the stick. My vision sucks and i really need to get that corrected. Someone in your position has it even worse. I think you know my posting style well enough to understand i was not intending on bashing anyone, just pointing out a trend that seems to be getting worse.

I totally agree with babying a 3 year old... at least till they turn 4. :P

EDIT:

PS: Never tried ants... I think i have something to do when i get home today!
bgaesop wrote:Yeah, I knew what you meant. That's why I put in the smily, to make sure no one misinterpreted me as being serious. I also have vision problems, but they're not too bad. I'm at about 85/20, how about you?
Lol, i figured you knew but for those who might not : )

Anyway, Not sure for glasses. My contact prescription is 3.5 in both eyes which I guess is not too good. Laser surgery as soon as I can afford it!
Last edited by BoltAction on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:48 pm

Yeah, I knew what you meant. That's why I put in the smily, to make sure no one misinterpreted me as being serious. I also have vision problems, but they're not too bad. I'm at about 85/20, how about you?

LD!

Post by LD! » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:57 pm

I was forces to take medication for certian physiological things until I got I went off them for a week and realize how muhc better the world was without so I told my mum that I wasn't gonna take em anymore

bad eye site and asyma too
some poeple houses I've had attacks to bad that I didn't dar e fall alseep my breathing was so bad. but I never have medicine for it anymore and if I ignore it it does go away it just sucks.

Einstein

Post by Einstein » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:59 pm

What about all the things that MERCURY has caused...

Mercury was used in most Vaccines prior to the new millenium-it's still used in some .

It's caused higher autism rates, ADD, ADHD, etc...
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

ZS Fleet #0015 & ZS Fleet #0016

General Grievous

Post by General Grievous » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:34 pm

i fell out of a tree into a patch of poison ivy and been immune to it eversince!!! :P
Never make fun of someone until youve walked a mile in their shoes. because then your a mile away from them and you have their shoes!!!

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:13 pm

I like to eat paint chips. Sometimes I melt cheese over them.

Seriously though no allergies to medications or food but I have hay fever,pollen and all that shit. I've been dying, thank god for actifed or I'd be toast.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:29 am

I have a pretty decent immune system, considering I tempered it with plenty of disease and shit. Nowadays, I could stand out in the rain and mud with 15 open wounds and the only thing I'd get would be wet.

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:15 am

Like having pneumonia... and going to work anyway.. and having it turn so bad that i passed out at work and woke up in the hospital... then saying i had to get back into work the next day. My doctor looked at me funny and told me i likely wouldn't survive if i did that... so i took 2 days off... :p

That's how they did it in the old days.

Same problem bugged me for over a year... Turns out I had fungal pneumonia/bronchitis... anyone else ever hear of that?
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:26 am

In other words fungus or mold growing in your lungs and your immune system not compensating. Use central air? May be time to clean the vent system. The whole vent system.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

LD!

Post by LD! » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:29 am

Breathe in hot air then stick in front of a dehumidiefer for awile that did the trick for me!

WOOT 21 centurt wifes tales! or is it wise tales?

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:45 am

jor-el wrote:In other words fungus or mold growing in your lungs and your immune system not compensating. Use central air? May be time to clean the vent system. The whole vent system.
naw, i think it came form urban spelunking... i've seen a lot of nasty fungus patches in my time. Which reminds me... every cool building in my town has been now torn down in the sake of progress.... anyone nearby know any good sites?
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

DevastatorIIC

Post by DevastatorIIC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:40 pm

My girlfriend's damn near allergic to everything. Particularly nuts, and peanuts worst. I'm not allergic to anything. My dad can't have penicillin or fresh fruit, and I may get that eventually.

So your theory is that giving medicine for every ailment helps advance allergies? Fascinating. Would go along with my girlfriend and I though. My medicine cabinet at college was tylenol, tylenol cold, bandaids, and neosporin. Hers was a tupperware tub overflowing with different stuff. Who knows.
I've got somethin' and it goes thumpin' like this
All you need is my uhn tiss uhn tiss uhn tiss

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:47 pm

Did you know, peanuts aren't actually nuts? They're a legume. And the idea I believe he was presenting was that people who don't get out and run around in the outdoors as kids tend to get more allergies, which is true.

Rus

Post by Rus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:43 pm

Horatio_Tyllis wrote: Which reminds me... every cool building in my town has been now torn down in the sake of progress.... anyone nearby know any good sites?
Well, I hear Detroit has a few places..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/uspopulatio ... NlYwM5NjQ-
:wink:

Mr B10nd3

Post by Mr B10nd3 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm

This topic has reminded me I need to renew my tetnis vaccine.

As for vision problems, if I go by the numbers on the side of my glasses, I'm a 56/20. In the morning though, it's more like 2,000/20.

LD!

Post by LD! » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:18 pm

50/19

TEC9man

Re: Growing immunity problem with today’s youth

Post by TEC9man » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:57 pm

saint_villas wrote:
BoltAction wrote:
I had pollen allergies for a while but my parents didn’t believe in medicating me for it and thus after a few years of hell they went away.
I have had pollen allergies for a while, took medication and at 17 they are begining to go away.

But yes, I agree, it seems that overmedication is producing a generation with weaker immune systems. In fact, sometimes it is better to get the disease and have it done and over with. Such as chicken pox.

Chicken Pox when contracted by a child, only produces discomfort. However, on an adult, it can be fatal. A co-worker of mine told me the story about how when him and his brother had chicken pox, and an 18 year old neigbor was sent over to babysit. However, he had never contracted chicken pox before and he was later hospitalised when he contracted it.

Yeah, I am very glad my mom sent me to play with the little girl who had chicken pox.
I am a transplant patient. Several years ago the hospital I had it at had some transplant patients get the Chicken Pox, a couple died and when they did an autopsy, all the organs had chicken pox on them.
Psalm 27:1-5
All the above statements are that of TEC9man and not necesarily that of ZS, it's moderators or members.

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:06 pm

bgaesop wrote:..And the idea I believe he was presenting was that people who don't get out and run around in the outdoors as kids tend to get more allergies, which is true.
Is it? The reason I ask is that I grew up before video games trapped kids in their homes. Running around outside was pretty much all there was to do when I was a child. Yet, I suffer from seasonal alergies. Granted, they aren't nearly as bad as they were when I was a child, but they are still there. I spoke to a doctor about this and the severity of seasonal allergies in males has a lot to do with testosterone levels. The higher the testosterone level, the less allergies are a problem, relatively speaking.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the reason there are so many kids today with severe food allergies, is because of better medical preparedness and innovations. What I mean is, 30-40 years ago, many of those children may have succumb to the reaction and died.

Zamboni

Post by Zamboni » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:53 pm

I think one of the reasons that it seems more prelevant than it used to is that now it is recognized. Back then, those children died because of their allergies or were kept indoors or special schools.

That's one idea about it.

Another is that the human being doesn't really change that fast and we may be seeing what a couple of centuries of industrialization has done to the human animal.
Rectum? It nearly killed him!

MCJ

Post by MCJ » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:39 pm

I'm asthmatic, allergic to pollen, trees, grass, dust mites, cockroaches...

But I hardly ever get sick. I don't think I have ever caught a cold or had the flu since age 6, and now I'm 16. Only my allergies and asthma get to me.
To tell you the truth, zombies in this world would be kind of interesting. I'd probably be bitten, but then, so would a lot of people.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:26 pm

Coal-Cracker wrote:
bgaesop wrote:..And the idea I believe he was presenting was that people who don't get out and run around in the outdoors as kids tend to get more allergies, which is true.
Is it? The reason I ask is that I grew up before video games trapped kids in their homes. Running around outside was pretty much all there was to do when I was a child. Yet, I suffer from seasonal alergies. Granted, they aren't nearly as bad as they were when I was a child, but they are still there. I spoke to a doctor about this and the severity of seasonal allergies in males has a lot to do with testosterone levels. The higher the testosterone level, the less allergies are a problem, relatively speaking.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the reason there are so many kids today with severe food allergies, is because of better medical preparedness and innovations. What I mean is, 30-40 years ago, many of those children may have succumb to the reaction and died.
Oh, it's by no means the only reason people get allergies. There are exceptions, to be sure. However, most country kids have fewer/less sever allergies than most city kids. It's by no means a cut and dry thing.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”