IM AN ISLANDER!

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Joshie Poshie

IM AN ISLANDER!

Post by Joshie Poshie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:51 am

I live in newfoundland so unless theoutbreak starts on the island, am i safe?
I wish my lawn was Emo, So it would cut itself.

Hudson

Post by Hudson » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Possibly...But what happens when thousands of homeless, starving, and scared people (many armed) try to make their way to a spot away from the zombies, possibly some of them are infected and concealing it?

As long as there are other people, you're never truly safe!

That said, it's a thousand times better than living in downtown New York City or London!
Doctor Z. wrote: “That’s it! New rule! We never – ever – put ANYTHING in the puppy’s butt!”

FartInAirConditioner

Post by FartInAirConditioner » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:36 pm

I live on the water, and am ready to jump into my boat and skidaddle to one of my city's islands at a moment's notice. The only thing that's bothering me, though is that I live within sixty miles of New York City, and the fact that everyone in the city with a boat will be following me to the islands. I'm ashamed that I haven't came up with anything else beyond that.
"Men of genius sometimes accomplish most when they work the least, for they are thinking out inventions and forming in their minds the perfect idea that they subsequently express with their hands." -Leonardo Da Vinci

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Im in the southwest, and the place to go here is mesas! With some equipment like greennetting and rain collectors, you could get a wicked good farm going on top of one of those things! Also, theres the anasazi ruins to consider, built for hand to hand warfare. 8)
Lonestar wrote:Possum jerky beats inner cabium nutrition anytime.
El Maximo, zombie thwarter extrodinaire!

LD!

Post by LD! » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:21 pm

There's no soil on top of those mesa's just rock.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:13 pm

Yes, there is soil. How do you think the native indians grew maize there? Besides, I've been to the top of a couple, and theres soil enough, and if there isn't, a day or two hauling up some bags of topsoil would fix that.
Lonestar wrote:Possum jerky beats inner cabium nutrition anytime.
El Maximo, zombie thwarter extrodinaire!

captain chunk

BUT

Post by captain chunk » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:05 pm

However, zombies lack the need to breathe so eventually they will bob and float or walk underwater (perhaps fighting a great white shark on the way, booyah). and then they will make their way to the island. you're not really safe anywhere. i would rather be on the top level of a multi-story house and blow up the staircases so no one can get up unless i roll my rope ladder down to them. or just keep moving. but i like blowing things up, personally. it's my penis envy.
I've seen some bad ones in my days.... I like it.

Z Killa

Well, you could be.

Post by Z Killa » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:51 am

I agree w/ Hudson about the refugees. In order to be 100% safe, as long as the virus isn't airborne, You'd have to turn New Zealand into a pseudo ship and take a page out of the Navy's playbook by "repelling boarders". Also, to ensure that noone would sneak in at night or on a deserted streach of coastline you'd have to build a wall similar to the one in Escape form New York(not a zombie film, but I always thought the wall would be a good idea) but around the islands perimeter. High enough to prevent climbing and patrolled 24/7.
In all cases there would be a mass exodus from cities and countries of people smart enough to know the ocean is a buffer. Chances are a whole lot of people in Sydney have planned to head for NZ when the time comes, and if infected they could turn before reaching Auckland. Then you have a whole boat of zombies to worry about.
Best thing for you to do is since you live in the South Pacific locate an unused island (doubt there's any deserted or uncharted islands left around there anymore) and start stockpiling. keep the boat ready and hope for the best!
Z Killa
I live so the undead can die..again!
Romero Rulez!!!!
STUD ID 236-548-153-748
GHOST Air Service

hydrogen

Re: IM AN ISLANDER!

Post by hydrogen » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:06 am

Joshie Poshie wrote:I live in newfoundland so unless theoutbreak starts on the island, am i safe?

im from NL too bro, what part are you from?

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:14 pm

Joshie Poshie wrote:I live in newfoundland so unless theoutbreak starts on the island, am i safe?

and i would say we are pretty fucked. most, if not all, flights from the UK to USA and vice versa stop in either St. Johns or Gander internation airports. we are directly under the great circle route. Remember 9/11? many MANY flights were diverted to newfoundland ( mostly american flights) and we took people into our homes. Also, being on an island requires all of our goods to be shipped ( via Air, sea or land). there are many ways infected to get to newfoundland. for example, say the outbreak starts in the UK, people try to escape the UK and come to north america, probably refuling in newfoundland, who knows how many infected goit on the planes....

Rahl

Post by Rahl » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:54 am

hydrogen wrote:

and i would say we are pretty fucked. most, if not all, flights from the UK to USA and vice versa stop in either St. Johns or Gander internation airports. we are directly under the great circle route. Remember 9/11? many MANY flights were diverted to newfoundland ( mostly american flights) and we took people into our homes. Also, being on an island requires all of our goods to be shipped ( via Air, sea or land). there are many ways infected to get to newfoundland. for example, say the outbreak starts in the UK, people try to escape the UK and come to north america, probably refuling in newfoundland, who knows how many infected goit on the planes....
America is west of the UK
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:17 am

where did i mention direction? lol

Rahl

Post by Rahl » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:51 am

hydrogen wrote:where did i mention direction? lol
Sorry i just read it properly, you put north america, i read it wrong and thought you ment escape from the uk and go north to america
sorry
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:47 pm

oh ok, not a problem

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”