Living in a cold house

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rush2112

Re: Living in a cold house

Post by Rush2112 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:47 pm

sherlockbonez wrote:It's 19 (-7) degree out side you tell me you won't turn the heat on?
It's gotten to -5 around here before. Still haven't turned on the heat. :D
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Swoop411

Post by Swoop411 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29 pm

-----------------------------------------------
Last edited by Swoop411 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heartless51
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first 100 days

Post by Heartless51 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Why I love my woodstove, its 29 outside and 75 inside. Which is friggin blazin to me but ot makes the wife happy.

propdoc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by propdoc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Swoop411 wrote:At the moment it is blowing snow outside and is around 14F. I live in a shitty apartment and installed plastic on the windows, yet still feel a draft somehow. Regardless, I have the heat set at 60F and refuse to turn it higher. I started out with it at 71F and the resulting utility bill was high.....300 dollars high. A month later went to 65F, in addition to only having one light on in the apartment at a time. Bill decreased to around 160 dollars. This month I went down to 60F and hope to see substantial gains in my favor. I would go a lot lower but am not sure how my doggeh would like it!
I would suggest a small electric space heater. Move into one room for most of your activity, and set up the heater in there. I have one in my office (one bedroom of a two bedroom duplex) where my computer and tv is. The rest of the house is a chilly 55, but I just have a few extra blankets thrown on the bed. Once I get under them I'm ok.

It seems like it's just added $20 or so to my electric bill. The dog will learn to lay next to the heater to stay warm. My cat does that now. I do bump the furnace up in the morning for a few minutes to warm the bathroom to take a shower.

As for a draft, try walking around the house with a light stick of incense, and put it near windows and door. The smoke should be able to point out where you have a draft. Also, someone suggested using bubble wrap on the windows. It would provide more in the way of insulation than just a standard plastic sheet.
Old Age and Treachery Beats Youth and Skill Every Time.

leadpulaski

Post by leadpulaski » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Electrical outlets can also let in cold air. We installed little foam insulaters behind the outlet covers. Less draft from the outlets.

tenhigh

Post by tenhigh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:32 am

The reason central heating exists is so that your pipes don't freeze in the winter. That usually means (for our house) keeping the thermostat at about 50 degrees F. If you want to be warm, put on a damn sweater. (On the other hand, I love to walk in the 20 degree weather in jeans and a T shirt, because the winter weather is so bracing and fun.)

We do put the heat up to 65 if we're going to have company over, but since we burn oil for heat, it's too damn expensive to raise the temperature higher.

Space heaters make the bathrooms much warmer than the rest of the house, and they make stepping out of the shower much less of an ordeal. :lol:
BobtheBreaker wrote:Posting while retardedly drunk is what we at ZS call SPP, Standard Posting Procedure.
bonanacrom wrote:I was saving that technique for after I win the lottery and have purchased my yak. I will saddle him and ride him drunk all across the property with spear and shield terrorizing the local squirrels and running trespassers off the land !

Emberfox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by Emberfox » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 am

Just moved to a first floor apartment and between the concrete floors under the carpet and the gorgeous large windows I feel cold even when we have the heater set to 70. And it never gets there. Constantly runs and is rarely the temp I like. I can't help it, I like the heat rather than cold. I'm sure if we picked the second floor instead we would have lower heat and a/c bills year round though. Seems to me the first floor is nice and cool year-round and the third floor would be nice and warm year-round. Oops! I should have gone for third floor!
-Emberfox

ramman_jr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days

Post by ramman_jr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Sorry. I like my heat. I pay the gas bill so I can have the temp wherever I want it. That being said nothing too extreme. 70 during the day and 65 at night. If I want to be cold I can go outside.

searching4itnc

Post by searching4itnc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Some of you guys are nuts! A warm house is a thing of comfort, like soup or the feel of a handgun when things go bump in the night.

We have a wood stove, but it's outside. Wood is not an issue, but the heat return into the house is. It's electric fan. We like the house right between 68 and 72 degrees. Wood heat is nice since it is much cleaner than an oil heater. But, we do have warm oil electric space heaters in the bedrooms at night to keep the chill down. In the event of a power failure; which is common in the North Carolina mountains, we have one portable kerosene heater.

The best investment so far is the Mr. Heater unit I got this summer. It uses the 16 ounce propane cylinders, same as the emergency grilling stove I've got. One tank heats about 10,000 BTU for several hours, which is enough to heat most of my downstairs house.

Propane Cylinders at Wal-Mart are $5.25 for two. And after the last time the whole county lost power in an ice storm I learned a valuable lesson on stocking up. Now I buy a two pack every two weeks on payday.

We get harsh winters here. The temperature right now is in the 20's, but the National Weather Service is alerting us to an ice storm tomorrow. At least a half an inch of ice and sleet before it starts snowing. Heat is manditory, especially when I've got a 22 month old in the house.

Which brings me to an interesting and funny thought. How do zombies do on ice?!
"Save the last bullet for yourself".

yale

Post by yale » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:35 am

Me and my lady live in a 16x80' Fleetwood model manufactured home. It's just us and the cats. When it get's uncomfortably cold or hot we use what we refer to as the Habitat Module. Just like in Apollo 13 when the crew powered down everything except the command module, we use only the master bathroom and bedroom. We keep the bedroom door closed and the window unit air conditioner keeps the room cool in the summer. Now, in the winter, we have our central heat on but all of the floor vents in the house except for those in the master bath and bedroom are closed. We have the thermostat, which is in the living room, set to about 60 degrees. The bedroom heats up to about 70 degrees since it's closed off and the rest of the house stays about 60. If we get out of bed to go cook in the kitchen we are dressed in sweatpants and shoes so we stay reasonably warm. By only cooling and heating the fraction of the house we actually spend 90% of our time in we save quite a bit on our electric bill in the last couple of years.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leadpulaski

Post by leadpulaski » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:52 am

Living on a civil servants income :lol: we have to trim out budget where ever possible. I was very concerned that our power bill was going to be high because the inlaws and at times ourselves used the electric heaters a bit. I was very proud to see my electric bill was only $100 :D

Considering our summer bill is $50ish and during the winter we use the dryer, more lights tv... that's not to darn bad.

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:38 pm

sherlockbonez wrote:It's 19 (-7) degree out side you tell me you won't turn the heat on?

doing that right now. :)
my gas heat bill was $12 last month, just to have the service connected.
hot shower before bed, then right under four layers of blanket. getting up is a bitch.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”