It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 am 

Blitzen2k5 wrote:
Figured I should post here. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for a heel spur. He decided, while I was there and I hadnt eaten anything in 12 hours, to check my cholesterol. And it was through the roof. Lets just say when your doctor says you will be lucky to live another 5 or 10 years you know its bad. I decided to change what I eat. This is not a diet. Just a change in what I eat. I started this two weeks ago and realized I am losing weight to boot. So hey its win/win as far as I am concerned. Anyway here goes. I lost 5 pounds already and wasnt trying. So I decided to see just how far this goes with change in what I eat.

Sex: Male
Height: 6'6
Weight: 325 lbs. (Was 330lbs 2 weeks ago)

Goal: Get my LDLs down and my HDLs up. The weight loss is just icing on the cake. If I could drop 100 pounds that would be cool.

How: Changed my diet. From heavy fatty foods to more low cholesterol foods. I stopped eating pork completely. Zero pork. No more soft drinks, junk food, etc. Eating plenty of fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, grains, etc. Will still eat red meat once a week. Made that my magic meal. Because I go all out. Ribeye, tbone, sirloin, etc.

Exercise: Oddly enough I get a lot of exercise. I am a very active person. Scuba, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. I walk everywhere whenever I can. Though I have decided to increase it to running more. In a few weeks I want to join a gym.

Problems: Well I had been drinking soy milk and I loved the taste. Kinda tasted like heavy cream but without the high cholesterol. Sunday evening my stomach was killing me. (stop reading if your easily sick) I started vomiting at night that lasted til morning. And it was this thick white chunky stuff. Went to doc the next morning before work and found it was the soy milk. Some chemical in it that irritated my intestines. Was told to avoid eating for awhile and no more soy milk. So now I have to find another substitute. I love milk. So dont know what I am going to do yet. Think I will try rice milk next.

Anyway that is the start. Every week I will come back and post whats happening in this.

My next update.

Well things have not been swim swim swim like I had hoped. I spent monday night in the ER. I was having chest pains all day and my BP was high the 4 times I had it taken. Finally around 10PM I gave up thinking it would clear up when I could feel my heart pulsating through my body and it was skipping beats. So off to the ER I went. It wasnt a heart attack thank whatever god there is. They gave me a "green lizard" and it helped a lot. It turned out to be acid reflux. The doctor said it was most likely due to stress and coupled with weight loss and the drastic change in diet. I havent been losing 2 to 3 pounds a week. More like 5 or more pounds a week. But the doctor added, sometimes you cant help it. When you switch from a bad diet to a good diet its not uncommon, in the first few months, to lose a lot of weight for some people.

So now I am having to take nexium everyday. But its slow to stop the pressure in my chest. Which I was told will take several days to "kick in" as it were. I went to work today and the more I worked, the worse it got. I only hope tomorrow is better. I cant even sleep from the pressure in my chest and the occasional feeling of my heart beating through my entire body.

I am trying to avoid all the stress I can. That is a stressful in and of itself since I feel stress everywhere I turn. Living with 3 generations of women that fight constantly, the elections, Isaac, work, and my nightmares have returned when I do get sleep. Even my friends now cause me stress.

Anyway, friday I see MY doctor. He has already said he is going to run a full GI series and heart series on me to make sure I am ok. I am not to eat anything after 12 noon tomorrow. So we shall see what comes up. He loves accupuncture so my hope is that his magic needles can stop the pressure. We shall see. I will post again here after the visit.

All the evil in the world can be seen in the eyes of a chicken.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 am 

New here, but thought I'd hop on this.

Name: Crakkerjakk

Weight: 218lbs

Height: 5' 8"

I started this about six months ago after realizing I was really out of shape and unhappy with the extra weight I was carrying.

I started at around 230, but I'm not setting a goal for myself as far as weight loss. Instead, I am going to run the Marine Corps Marathon in October, 2013.

In order to accomplish my fitness and health goals, I have gone vegan (no animal products, to include meat, eggs, dairy, etc, though I'm not worrying about honey) and started running. Six months ago I couldn't run a minute without ending up gasping. Sunday I ran 4.5 miles, and I'm doing 5 miles this Saturday. I'm signed up for a 10k race in five weeks.

I've also been swimming laps on my rest days, but recently moved further from the pool. I'm contemplating starting up the "Marine Corps Daily Seven" again as light calisthenics to help with muscle tone, and maybe replacing my chair at my computer desk with a fitness ball to help build up some of my core.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

An update on my weight loss: I've lost 11lbs since I started my healthy eating regime in late July :D
I'm pleased with my progress so far.

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:22 pm 

Ok, gonna get in on this cause well... I gotta be less of a fat bastard if i'm gonna see my kids grow up to be parents themselves.

Age 38
Height 6'1"
Weight 310lbs
Goal Weight: 240ish If I can keep my activity level high at 240 i'm pretty happy with cardio and strength.

The plan is to drastically up my activity level and make further adjustments to what I eat. Planning on cutting fast food back to as close to zero as possible and eating a lot more veggies and a lot less carbs. Started running today.
http://runkeeper.com/activity?userId=1324137&trip=119951103&fb_action_ids=10152110659065694&fb_action_types=runkeeper-og%3Acompleteactivity&fb_source=feed_opengraph&action_object_map=%7B%2210152110659065694%22%3A450863864965814%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210152110659065694%22%3A%22runkeeper-og%3Acompleteactivity%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Goal: Run the Tough Mudder event next June in Vancouver.

Last edited by slannesh on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'll play.

Height: 5'9.5"
Weight (August 24th): 215 lbs

I've started working out about 90 minutes a day and using an iPhone app to track my caloric intake. I have begun day hiking about once a week as well.

As of today I am 205.2lbs. Goal is 180.

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am 

I am a newbie to this forum and want in on the deal too.

Retroactively!

In September of last year I decided to put the brakes on the weight problem. Mine was basically due to medication side effect weight gain. (BP and Heart meds)

I am 62 years old, 5'10" and was at 280 pounds. My BP was out of control, my colesterol was over th limits even with meds, my bones were suffering and I was generally miserable.

I went on a low carb plan and have stayed on it for a year. I have experienced none of the problems or side effect others warned me about while on this program. I simply lost weight at 2-3 pounds per week while feasting on steak, pork chops, roast beef and omlets with all the veggies on the side I could hold. I believe most of the people that do not like this program simply do not like vegetables, which are a necessary part of the plan.

Between September of last year and the end of June this year I had reached my origional goal.

200 pounds.

I selected that goal due to 200 pounds being the allowable weight for a 59 year old member of the Army. They do not go past 60 years old on their chart.

Upon reaching that goal I find that I still need to drop 15-20 more pounds. The Army chart is based on a very active lifestyle with a large amount of muscle mass. I am not going to develop that muscle mass and need to drop the extra fat that is still present.

I have reached a plateau at the 200 level. I have not lost any weight since July and I need to kick start for those last 20 pounds.

So, I'm in too.

Oh yes, I forgot to add that the BP is now normal, the colesterol is in safe limits and I feel great now. I am able to move as I should and climbing the hill behind the house is no longer a reason to crank up the Jeep and fire up the winch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:54 pm 

Female 66
Weight July 6 - 226
Weight Oct 15 - 190

I started a juice only fast following the Reboot Your Life. A video with the same name can be found on YouTube.

It was really not as hard as I thought it would be.
If I drink all the water I'm suppose to and drink all the juice I'm suppose to I am neither hungry or suffereing from lack of energy. It's really gone well.

For the first 7 weeks I didn't have a bite to eat, a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. Now I eat one small meal a day and will keep this up until after the first of the year. We just travel to much at this time of year. Hauling a 25lb juicer around in my carry on would be a little hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm 

How is everyone doing on their fitness goals?

I am still trying to put on as much muscle as I can but I find it frustrating to lift without a partner, its not that I dont have the motivation, I am there 3 times a week like clockwork, but I feel like I can't push myself as hard as I could if I had a partner/spotter with me.

Running a cycle of Creatine currently and I am very happy with the effects thus far. I feel like it has helped me blast out that final rep or two in my sets and my recovery time between sets is much better as well. I did notice some initial water weight gain but that seems to have leveled out after about 2-3 weeks.

Last weigh-in was last friday at 225lbs.

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 am 

I'm pretty much starting over :oops: I was doing fairly well, then life threw me off track for a while and I got out of the habit of eating good and exercising. Going to try and get back to it, hopefully the weather warms up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 pm 

So I figured I'd show pics of the weight I've dropepd in the last few years.

Me around 2009 or so, I was 22 in this picture, probably hovering in the 370s-380s. I'm 6ft. I kinda look like hurley from lost...

Heres me this year. I'm 26 now, about 240-250 or so. I had at one point gotten down to about 235, but I put on some holiday weight.

Arn't I lucky no matter how big I am, pretty girls wanna take their picture with me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 pm 

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
How is everyone doing on their fitness goals?

I am still trying to put on as much muscle as I can but I find it frustrating to lift without a partner, its not that I dont have the motivation, I am there 3 times a week like clockwork, but I feel like I can't push myself as hard as I could if I had a partner/spotter with me.

Running a cycle of Creatine currently and I am very happy with the effects thus far. I feel like it has helped me blast out that final rep or two in my sets and my recovery time between sets is much better as well. I did notice some initial water weight gain but that seems to have leveled out after about 2-3 weeks.

Last weigh-in was last friday at 225lbs.

Up to running 10 miles, first half marathon mid-May.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm 

Necro,
Hope you got back to it and are doing well. Life gets in the way sometimes but nothing tells life to go screw itself like pushing through the strife and coming out stronger on the other side. You can do this!

sworbeyegib,
Kicking ass man, keep it up!

Crakkerjakk wrote:
Up to running 10 miles, first half marathon mid-May.

Thats awesome! Even after my weight loss I still hate running, honestly I only do it because the dog loves going on runs.

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm 

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
Thats awesome! Even after my weight loss I still hate running, honestly I only do it because the dog loves going on runs.

Thanks! I got into the Marine Corps Marathon, tickets and hotel is booked, so after the Rock n' Roll Half in Portland May 19th, I'll be doing 26.2 miles on October 27th in Virginia, barring injury or life happening.

It's starting to be surreal at this point. Next week I'll be running for two hours straight. Further than I ever ran in the Corps (though slower). And it seems like each long run, it's only the last couple miles that is hard. It just so happens that they're an extra couple of miles further compared to the last time.

I need to get some more music. I'm trying to speed up my pace, and the stuff I have at the right BPM ends up repeating after about an hour.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 pm 

Ran my first half marathon. Little slow (over 2:30) but that'll improve. I'm starting to integrate hills and track sprint workouts into my weekly runs.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:21 pm 

Wow, there are some big dudes on here. Some impressive weight loss results as well. I am looking to lose about 15lbs(currently 6.1 205) get back to my fighting weight. I wonder if having a little extra padding might actually be good in a real food crisis?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:51 pm 

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
Necro,
Hope you got back to it and are doing well. Life gets in the way sometimes but nothing tells life to go screw itself like pushing through the strife and coming out stronger on the other side. You can do this!

Yeah... I haven't. Life's really been kicking my ass lately. :( Having trouble moving on with stuff. I've put on a lot of weight and now am at my heaviest ever. So... guess that's my update. Glad everyone else is having a better time of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14 pm 

Well, It's been 2 months since someone posted on here. Is this challenge still open for a post or is it now closed?

Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 pm 

*shrug* I've lost thirty pounds in the past three weeks.

I cannot claim personal credit, though. Mono is probably the fastest weight loss plan around. Certainly room for improvement in the pleasantness aspect, though.

I suppose in the long run it'll be good for me, though. I didn't much need those pounds. I do hope to keep momentum as I recover and work towards getting back in shape.

6 feet tall, shade under 200 lbs now. 180 would be pretty comfortable for me, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:18 pm 

Still working at it... went back up to 320, had some major bad shit happen in my world and am now down to 298. Current goal is 220.

Back at the gym and getting back to life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:05 pm 

Four weeks to marathon. My longest run has been 18 miles so far, I'm doing about 25 miles a week, and I've been training at a mile up while the marathon is going to be at sea level.

So, all in all looking good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm 

291 as of this morning..
Long way to go but headed in the right direction. Cardio is steadily improving... 2 weeks ago running 2 miles damn near killed me, today I do 3 and can push myself a lot harder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 pm 

283 today.

Did a 5K trail run over the weekend. Getting better!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:41 pm 

slannesh wrote:
283 today.

Trail runs are great.

Marathon this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm 

slannesh wrote:
283 today.

Nice!
Crakkerjakk wrote:
Trail runs are great.

Marathon this weekend!

Agreed, Good luck! I have the Runforyourlives Zombie 5K next weekend.

My Aid Bag

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next