It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm 

NecroNikolai13 wrote:
284.5 this morning. Really slacked off last week, just didn't have any energy most of time. :?

Been a long time since I updated this. I lost a good bit of weight, though I slacked off on the exercise when the snow started coming down, then school started back up so I kept slacking off. Currently at 245lbs, going to try and get back into the exercise routine. I've quit smoking 5 days ago, no cravings though I do miss it since I enjoyed smoking.

Started at 295lbs back in August of 2011, goal is still 180lbs. Had a minor health crisis lately, still not entirely sure if everything is alright but it kicked my butt into quitting smoking and wanting to get back to exercising.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:08 pm 

this is a cool idea. Can we start a new challenge?

Mel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:16 am 

down to 255!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:37 am 

I will jump on the wagon, but I am going the opposite direction. When I started last year I was 6' and 140lbs. Now I'm same height obviously but up to 167lbs of lean muscle. After a dual shoulder injury I had to stop for a while, but I will be starting again late August and my ultimate goal is to be 6' 180lbs, around 10% BMI.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm 

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/ ... t-off?lite

http://childrenshospital.org/clinicalse ... ngList.pdf

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Here are some good sources if anyone is trying to get in shape. It is similar to what I educate my patients with.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:53 pm 

Im in..

wolverine_173
age 26
height 6 foot
weight 210

I go to college and during christmas break i started p90x and got down to 190 but since february i stopped working out making the excuse that i didn't have time with work and school and gained 20 pounds. I really want to get back to 190.

I suggest pics so we can compare before and after for this tread. ill post one later

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:09 pm 

I can not enter since I am 6 foot and 175 pounds. What I posted is what I live by.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:42 pm 

Can I jump in six months ago? ..or I suppose now works.

Verissimus
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 228

I have lost 50 pounds since september of last year. At first, I was working two jobs, so I just wasn't eating all the time. at the end of January I found the Paleo Diet. I have lost over 35 pounds since, and continue to lose. I don't know what I'm shooting for, exactly. I suppose somewhere between 200-210, if I had to guess. Other than working 12 hours a day, (which ended in May)I was not and am not really exercising much. I am just now starting to work out a wee bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 pm 

Hey gang, long time lurker, decided to make an account and get involved! And so, my first post... AND... I'm on board with this!

FlintLock

Height: 1.8m/6.0ft.
Weight: 115.5kg/254.6lbs.

I actually decided to put serious thought into this last month and put my weight loss plan in motion a week ago (July 4th) which my starting weight was 116.8kg/257.6lbs and my weigh-in days are once per week, Wednesday. So my first week I'm exactly 3 lbs down. Nothing to brag about but I'll take it! I wear a pedometer at work and I will typically get 10,000 steps or more (for me translates to about 8.whatever km/ 5.5ish miles) in at work alone. Had a day last week that was 11.42km/7.09m, I'd like to see more of those! I'll update weekly on weight in day and post my week's pedometer readings too for interest sake.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'd written a longer post in another fitness accountability thread, but there doesn't seem to be much activity there. Here's the link:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43055&start=530

Height: 6'2"
S/W June 25, 2012: 231.5 lbs
C/W July 20, 2012: 221.6 lbs
G/W: 210

Lost 3.2 lbs this past week and hit my eating and fitness goals. I didn't overeat or cheat with any junk food, although I will be having a planned, moderate cheat day tomorrow. I went to the gym daily for 30 min of cardio. I didn't smoke at all, but I wasn't around any smokers this week, so that wasn't very hard. Finally, I got a body fat caliper test done at my gym, currently at 29% body fat. Yikes! I'm shooting for 19%, so we'll see.

I'm going to start including weight training in about two weeks after I've cut a little more weight. I have experience with basic weight training, but I've never really seen much success in the past. I'll try a few different routines for a few weeks and then quit. I've also avoided any technical types of lifts, like squats, bench press and deadlifts because I never learned the proper technique. Based on some research and recommendations, just picked up "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's very detailed in the mechanics of barbell weight training. I'm looking forward to incorporating these techniques in my workouts, rather than jumping around different isolation machines that haven't really worked for me in the past.

ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Last edited by DrGonzo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 pm 

I have only been on this sight for a few weeks now but one the most important thing some people don't get about prepping is good health and I finally faced that last year when I realized if something bad happen no mater what I was prepared for I would most likely not survive because of my health. I was right at 400lbs and on lots of blood pressure pills. I took a long look in the mirror and at the age of 33 decided it was not me that was in October when i turned 33. Now I am am 205lbs can run a few miles easy I eat right most day exercise 5 to 6 days a week and know that is the most important prep I could have ever done for me and my family. For everyone out there fighting this battle keep it up you can do it and good luck.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I haven't dieted in the last 12 months & have put on around 7lbs. So I have started a new diet which isn't faddy, just based on lean meat, fruit, veg & starchy carbs.
I want to loose around 30lbs & I'll check in every do often to record how it's going.
Well done to everyone here with their successes.

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 am 

Lol flintlock I read pedometer and I was like WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 am 

And to contribute I can't seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

C/W July 27, 2012: 219.6 lbs

Another 2 lbs down this week for a total loss in the last 30 days of 11.9 lbs. This week included some travel away from home over the weekend, and one cheat meal where I had some sweets. I had planned for it, so I didn't feel guilty about it, but I didn't over-indulge either. I went for a 6+ mile run/walk over the weekend that kind of kicked my butt, but it felt good to run outside of the gym. I'm going to start doing more outdoor cardio, but for now the 30 min daily in the gym works for my schedule. Next week I'll be adding an incline to my treadmill sessions.

I ate pretty well otherwise, and I've found a lunch that works for me. Huge bowl of:
Raw spinach,
Red lettuce or romaine hearts,
Red cabbage,
1/3 can of black beans,
Meat: 1 can of tuna or sardines, sliced chicken or steak (usually leftovers)
Salt & Pepper
Olive oil & Balsamic Vineger
Squeezed lemon

It's easy, cheaper than buying lunch everyday and since I'm adding meat and complex carbohydrates from the beans, the salad actually fills me up until dinner. Also, I don't have to actually cook anything. I can make it at home, but it travels well too. As for breakfast:

Black coffee
2-3 organic eggs
Turkey bacon or chicken breast
1/3 can black beans
Sometimes steamed frozen veggies if I have the time.

I try to eat within 30 min of waking up, it keeps down the extreme lunchtime hunger pangs that I used to get that would cause me to eat huge lunches. Dinners are usually:

Steamed cauliflower or broccoli w/ butter or soy sauce
Chicken breast, thigh or lean steak
Pre-cooked lentils

I usually precook the chicken and lentils in batches ahead of time, so it makes cooking easier and prevents me from going rogue if I don't feel like cooking one night. The lentils are great because they replace the usual starch side (potatoes, rice, etc) on the plate, and are good with a little Sriracha (Rooster) hot sauce. I'll post my lentil recipe next update.

Last edited by DrGonzo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:25 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This thread is turning into my own personal LiveJournal. However, I persevere.

C/W Aug 3, 2012: 217.4 lbs

Another 2.2 lbs down this week. I'm still not hitting the gym more than 3-4 times a week, and it's usually no more than 30 min of brisk treadmill walking. I'm adding speed an incline to each session, and will add running periods within the session.

I did my first Olympic style squats just to practice the technique a bit and to see what it was like. I've always been intimidated by barbells, so I always used dumbbells or isolation machines. I overdid it a bit, and my butt and hamstrings where pretty sore for about 4 days. I'll incorporate it more later as I learn more, and after I've stopped working on weight loss exclusively.

Last week I said that I'd post my lentil recipe. I keep a tub of these premade in the fridge and usually have a about 1/2 a cup with lunch or dinner. I use it to bulk up salads (so I'm not hungry 15 minutes later) or to replace a normally starchy side, like rice or potatoes. I also use it as base for stir-fry. They have a good amount of protein, high fiber, no fat, cholesterol or sodium. They have carbohydrates, but they are complex carbs that don't really spike your blood sugar.

1 16 oz package of dried lentils (rinsed, not soaked)
4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth (Trader Joe's makes a good one). You can also use chicken or beef broth, or just water.
4 cups water
1 4 oz can of mushrooms (drained, sliced. Shitake are good)
1/2 large onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste if the broth doesn't do the job

In a large stock pot, bring all 8 cups of of liquid to a low boil. You can use just water or all stock, I use half and half because the flavor is right for me and it seems to be overkill adding 2 quarts of broth. Add the lentils, mushrooms and onions and cook as directed on the lentils package. I cook at a low boil for about 30 min with the lid half-covered until most of the liquid has been soaked in or evaporated. If you cook much longer with more liquid, they get pretty soupy (which is awesome, but I'm not making soup). The lentils should be firm, but not crunchy. Serve with as is or with a little sriracha hot sauce. Store in a plastic tub, and you're set for at least a week. Total cost is usually around $4-6 dollars.

There seems to be some controversy online regarding legumes (which I've been eating at almost every meal). Some camps insist that they are a critical source of non-meat protein, nutrients and complex carbs. Others, especially the paleo crowd, forbid them outright due to their high levels of lectin. I'm still doing research on the matter, but for now, I'm including them in my diet. They are a huge improvement from what I've been eating for most of my life.

The goals for next week: Ramp up the cardio at they gym (intensity, not duration). Keep reading on the barbell workouts. Have a moderate cheat day on Saturday. Pre-cook more meals for convenience. If I'm lucky, I'll be 5 lbs from my goal by next week.

Mrs. DrGonzo has also started her own weight loss program, although completely different than mine. All she does is log in everything she eats into the MyFitnessPal app on her phone. She can scan the barcode on packaged foods, search for most foods in their database, and save foods that she habitually eats. By simply tracking what she eats everyday, and trying to keep it at or under a certain amount of calories per day, she's been able to lose about 9 lbs in three weeks. This helps here be aware of what she's actually eating, prevents oversnacking or binging, and she hasn't felt hungry or deprived. She still eats whatever she wants, but the act of logging it in helps her make good choices. I'm very proud of her and I wanted to share this technique with everyone, since it has been working well for her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm 

Good work DrGonzo, keep it up! Also, nice recipe, i'll have to give it a try. I've been doing big batches of blackbeans(well rinsed to reduce the sodium) and brown rice at the start of ever week. Its simple, cheap, and I have found it lends itself as a base for many meats/leftovers(diced chicked, steak, tuna, etc..)

As for myself, my body fat keeps going down but my weight has been slowly increasing because I've been focusing on putting on a lot more muscle. For the longest time my weight room White Whale was pull-ups but I am happy to report that with a lot of hard work and some great workout/lifting advice from CitizenSimon(formerly DocSimon) and a good friend of his, I can now bang out a solid 4-5 pull-ups at a time and my back, shoulders, and arms are getting much bigger/stronger. Still have some issues with loose skin on my upper thigh and mid section but I do feel like it is slowly tightening up. Weighed in at 215lbs this morning.

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:01 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I lost 3lbs my first week which pleases me :D

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:47 pm 
I Talk to Spammers
I Talk to Spammers

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 192lbs
Sex: Male

Goal: Complete Ranger school that begins in October

Situation: An ACL reconstruction in 1995 left me with some residual issues that culminated in orthoscopic surgery to remove some bone fragments that had been tearing up my knee soft tissue. Until Dec of last year I was in good shape and able to run 5 miles without a problem and score a 300 on my APFT. Not sure what broke loose in there but by January I could not run without severe pain. I enrolled into a 6mo school and got the surgery while here. The problem is that over the last 7 months I have gained 10+ lbs and lost *ALL* cardiovascular endurance. The last month I have been slowly getting back to running and working out without pain but my fitness level is so bad I am actually embarrassed around my peers.

Major obstacles: Run 5 miles in under 40 minutes, ruckmarch 12 miles in 3 hours with a 40lbs+ pack.
Current condition: Cannot run more than 4 miles without gassing out. 2 mile run time is currently 15:30min. The only ruck I have done was a 5 miler last week with a 35lbs pack. No severe knee pain after any of these events though - so re-injury during the train up is unlikely. Surgery appears successful.

SUB GOAL 1: 2 mile run time 14:30 by SEP 15
SUB GOAL 2: 5 mile run in 39 minutes by SEP 15
SUB GOAL 3: 10 mile ruckmarch with 40lbs within 3 hours by end of August
SUB GOAL 4: Lose 8 lbs by end of September

END STATE: 5mile run time in 38min. 12 mile ruck march in 2:45. 2mile run time in 14:00.
This must be done by mid-October because I will not have another shot at Ranger school. I am just too old to wait a few more years for another shot. This is do or die.

EDIT: Subgoal 3 complete. 12 miles in 2:58 w/50lbs rucksack. Must have lost 9 pounds in that endeavor.
EDIT: Subgoal 1 complete. 2 mile runtime was 14:01 on AUG 23. Should be down to around 13:30 at SEP 15
EDIT: Subgoal 2 looking really good. Ran 7 miles in 57:50 on AUG 19. Actually this is really awesome! Did not expect to be able to run so far so fast this quickly!
EDIT: Subgoal 4 looking really good. Lost 4 pounds by AUG 24

Last edited by Yrkoon9 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 pm 

Figured I should post here. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for a heel spur. He decided, while I was there and I hadnt eaten anything in 12 hours, to check my cholesterol. And it was through the roof. Lets just say when your doctor says you will be lucky to live another 5 or 10 years you know its bad. I decided to change what I eat. This is not a diet. Just a change in what I eat. I started this two weeks ago and realized I am losing weight to boot. So hey its win/win as far as I am concerned. Anyway here goes. I lost 5 pounds already and wasnt trying. So I decided to see just how far this goes with change in what I eat.

Height: 6'6
Weight: 325 lbs. (Was 330lbs 2 weeks ago)

Goal: Get my LDLs down and my HDLs up. The weight loss is just icing on the cake. If I could drop 100 pounds that would be cool.

How: Changed my diet. From heavy fatty foods to more low cholesterol foods. I stopped eating pork completely. Zero pork. No more soft drinks, junk food, etc. Eating plenty of fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, grains, etc. Will still eat red meat once a week. Made that my magic meal. Because I go all out. Ribeye, tbone, sirloin, etc.

Exercise: Oddly enough I get a lot of exercise. I am a very active person. Scuba, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. I walk everywhere whenever I can. Though I have decided to increase it to running more. In a few weeks I want to join a gym.

Problems: Well I had been drinking soy milk and I loved the taste. Kinda tasted like heavy cream but without the high cholesterol. Sunday evening my stomach was killing me. (stop reading if your easily sick) I started vomiting at night that lasted til morning. And it was this thick white chunky stuff. Went to doc the next morning before work and found it was the soy milk. Some chemical in it that irritated my intestines. Was told to avoid eating for awhile and no more soy milk. So now I have to find another substitute. I love milk. So dont know what I am going to do yet. Think I will try rice milk next.

Anyway that is the start. Every week I will come back and post whats happening in this.

All the evil in the world can be seen in the eyes of a chicken.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm 

Blitzen2k5 wrote:
Anyway that is the start. Every week I will come back and post whats happening in this.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, Keep it up! :)

Blitzen2k5 wrote:
Problems: Well I had been drinking soy milk and I loved the taste. Kinda tasted like heavy cream but without the high cholesterol. Sunday evening my stomach was killing me. (stop reading if your easily sick) I started vomiting at night that lasted til morning. And it was this thick white chunky stuff. Went to doc the next morning before work and found it was the soy milk. Some chemical in it that irritated my intestines. Was told to avoid eating for awhile and no more soy milk. So now I have to find another substitute. I love milk. So dont know what I am going to do yet. Think I will try rice milk next.

Regular milk and I don't get along and normally I am a big Soy Milk fan but we've been cycling off Soy Milk in my house because of fears that it may be aggravating my wife's Thyroid issues, to that end, we have started using Almond milk, so far i've been happy with it. It works fine in cereal and protein shakes and it has about the same taste(comes in Plain, Vanilla, and Chocolate just like Soy milk does) and price. The only real drawback for me is the lack of protein in almond milk(1g of Protein per 8oz compared to 6-7g of Protein per 8oz of Soy Milk) but I'm normally mixing it with some protein powder anyway so the drawback is minimal. I wasn't a fan of Rice milk, it seemed to be very "thin" and didn't have a good mouth feel.

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

C/W Aug 10, 2012: 215.8 lbs

Down another 1.8 lbs this week. My daily weight loss has seemed to fluctuate a bit. I had one scheduled cheat meal last weekend (nothing terrible, just a burrito and a big piece of cheesecake) that took a few days to work off. I think I'm not drinking enough water. I'm also starting to cook with less oil, which is just loaded with calories (good or bad, calories are calories). At this rate, I'm hoping to see my goal weight in another two weeks. My first real challenge is coming up, as our ZS chapter is having its annual Summergeddon campout around that same time. I don't know how I'm going to be able to go camping for three days without drinking a ton of beer and smoking like a chimney! I plan on preparing all of my meals in advance, and skipping the usual convenience fare that I normally bring camping. A pile of cooked chicken breasts, a tub of lentils, cans of tuna and sardines and 4 or 5 bagged salads, turkey bacon and eggs. If I plan it right and stay away from the snacks, beer will be my only splurge. It may put me a week behind, but it's worth it to get some quality time out with the ZS crew.

Once I hit 210 lbs, I'll be readjusting my new goal to 200 lbs. Beyond that, I'm going to try to get my bodyfat percentage checked every few months, since I'm I've been incorporating barbell lifts (squats, deadlifts, press, bench press) into my gym visits. I just don't want to confuse "putting on mass" with "staying fat" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:07 pm 

Blitzen2k5 wrote:
Figured I should post here. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for a heel spur. He decided, while I was there and I hadnt eaten anything in 12 hours, to check my cholesterol. And it was through the roof. Lets just say when your doctor says you will be lucky to live another 5 or 10 years you know its bad. I decided to change what I eat. This is not a diet. Just a change in what I eat. I started this two weeks ago and realized I am losing weight to boot. So hey its win/win as far as I am concerned. Anyway here goes. I lost 5 pounds already and wasnt trying. So I decided to see just how far this goes with change in what I eat.

Height: 6'6
Weight: 325 lbs. (Was 330lbs 2 weeks ago)

Goal: Get my LDLs down and my HDLs up. The weight loss is just icing on the cake. If I could drop 100 pounds that would be cool.

How: Changed my diet. From heavy fatty foods to more low cholesterol foods. I stopped eating pork completely. Zero pork. No more soft drinks, junk food, etc. Eating plenty of fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, grains, etc. Will still eat red meat once a week. Made that my magic meal. Because I go all out. Ribeye, tbone, sirloin, etc.

Exercise: Oddly enough I get a lot of exercise. I am a very active person. Scuba, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. I walk everywhere whenever I can. Though I have decided to increase it to running more. In a few weeks I want to join a gym.

Update: Lost 5 pounds since my last post. Today the weather was better then usual. Not so hot. So I spent most of the morning just walking around. Enjoyed it a lot.

All the evil in the world can be seen in the eyes of a chicken.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

C/W Aug 24, 2012: 211.6 lbs

I didn't post an update last week, but I had a valid excuse, as I was at our chapter's annual Summergeddon campout. I'm nearly a big dump away from my goal weight on paper, but I feel like I've achieved it already by losing 20 lbs in two months. It's actually been pretty easy considering, I just need to make sure I have plenty of healthy food in the house, and try not to go nuts at a drive-thru if I miss a meal. What's most surprising to me is that I went car camping with a bunch of other ZSrs and I was able to mostly stick to my plan. I made Saturday a cheat day and allowed myself to drink beer for the weekend. I stuck mostly to Miller 64, which tastes like watered-down piss, but you stop noticing after a few. I had great big steaks and frozen broccoli for dinner, turkey bacon and eggs for breakfast, bagged salads and chicken for lunch. I was never hungry, and never felt like I was missing out on the other treats brought by the other members (okay, I did have a bacon-wrapped hotdog stuffed in a doughnut, but that was a once in a lifetime opportunity :lol:).

I do need to get back into the gym, I've skipped an entire week. It hasn't negatively impacted my weightloss, but I need to keep in the habit so I can start focusing on certain fitness goals. When I look back on my daily weigh-ins, it looks like I lose weight slower when I hit the gym hard, which makes sense. I hydrate and eat more, and muscle does weigh more than fat. I'm aware that bodyweight is not the best metric to measure health and fitness (vs. bodyfat % or specific strength/fitness achievements) but it serves me for now.

I've attempted to drop weight several times before, usually by not changing my diet in any serious way and exercising more. This just proves how important diet is, and with moderate changes in habits, it's not so bad. I'm going to make my new goal after next week 200 lbs, and start tracking specific fitness goals: pullups, crunches and 1.5 mi run time.

Last update, MrDrGonzo is down 17 lbs in about 6 weeks (and she's only 5'2") only using the MyFitnessPal app on her iPhone. All she does is log in what she eats (it's easier than it seems) and tries to keep under a reasonable calorie limit. If she goes over, she doesn't beat herself up. It helps her make healthy choices and prevents run-away snacking. But she doesn't have the type of food restrictions that I do, and she's losing weight at a faster pace than I am. She might be on to something...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next