It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm 

I was speaking to some fellow members of ZS about our current weight loss attempts, and how fun it would be to have some sort of challenge, to help keep other members of the forum motivated, while giving ourselves some motivation as well!

After discussing with some of the folks in the ZS-IRC room, and we came up with some rules:

[1] The weekly weight loss goal is 2lbs. 2lbs is the maximum recommendation per week, for healthy weight loss.

[2] You must report any diet cheating and exercise failures. We're operating on the honor system here folks!

[3] Give yourself a suitable penalty for any cheating or exercise failure. Make it significant but not "Dobby must go iron his hands now!" significant!

[4] Post your current weight, height, and weight loss goal. Please also post what you hope to accomplish with this challenge! *

[5] At the end of every week you must post your current weight, exercise logs and any diet cheating/failures to exercise as well as penalties you assigned to yourself.

[6] Folks who aren't participating, PLEASE don't post in this thread unnecessarily. It is for group support. (Motivation or congratulatory PM messages won't be frowned upon though!)

[7] Please be supportive of all participants, as we're in this together!

[8] To those participating, take this seriously [but not too seriously], we're here to have fun! In the end you're doing this for yourselves!

* Example: Name: Famine

Weight: 349lbs

Height: 6' 1"

I hope by the end of this challenge to be down to 290lbs, and in much better shape. I will continue past the challenge and hopefully be in enough shape for the 10 mile hike up Mt. Marcy with my fellow chapter members of ZS-007! I also hope to help motivate my friends here on ZS to moving towards healthier lifestyles!

The start date for this challenge is this coming Monday, the 22nd of June. The end date for personal goals are when they are reached, but for the sake of those with larger goals, the final goals for our Biggest Loser Challenge will be January 1, 2010.

Ok folks! Weigh in, measure up, and lets see who can be the Biggest Loser of Zombie Squad!

-Kevin

Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Last edited by Famine on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 pm 

Last edited by G_Ruby on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Name: Imrcly

Weight: 203lbs

Height: 6' 1"
I hope by the end of this challenge to be down to 165lbs, and able to pass a Physical fitness test for a job i am looking to starting. I am determined to be in a good enough shape for a triathlon (something I want to do before 30) I also hope to help motivate ZS to moving towards healthier sustainable lifestyles.

Diet: just eating smaller and smarter portions, focusing more on vegetables rather than meat and carbs at dinner. Shopping for only healthy foods to avoid snacking on unhealthy foods. Less sodas more water and tea.
Fitness: run daily for at least 20 min, daily push ups and sit ups, hit the gym when I can.
Getting my wife involved is a key part, it is hard to be healthy by yourself.

Last edited by imrcly on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:11 pm 

Name: Dave
Current Weight: 258# as of this morning
Height: 6' 3"
Target Weight: 210 lbs.

Reason and Goal: I need to get these extra pounds off me! It is interfering with my social agenda, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Also, I will be posting my dietary intake and exercise info on a weekly basis. In all honesty, I never really did a proper chart to see exactly what I ate, so this should be interesting! I have had good luck with restricted carb diets before, but always had trouble with "bounceback" as soon as I stopped watching my carb intake. Each time I was consuming less than 50g carbs each day. This time, I am going to keep carb intake low, but not as drastically so. Hopefully that will help prevent bounceback. The plan is to keep them under 100g a day. Also, I am going to be excercising a whole lot more than i do now.

Today (saturday june 20) is my "Day 1": 1250 cal, 100g carbs
total H2O consumption for the day: 3.5L
excersise: Walked 4miles, 45 min core strength workouts

Day 2 Sun jun 21: Happy solstace! 1490 cal, 85g carbs
total H20 for the day: 2.0L
excersise: walked 1.3mi, 30 min core workout

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Last edited by DaveJohns on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 pm 

Ok, I had better not *win* as biggest loser, but I'll play...

6'-3", weighed in this morning 224 lbs.

Current target (always subject to revision as I go) 205 lbs at ~10% bodyfat.

A little background, in January I was over 250 lbs, so I've been at it for a while and had some success so far.

My main motivator is my plan to go up Mt. Marcy this fall. I'd rather suffer progressively now, than a whole lot all at once then.

I shoot for 1 lb a week, but I find the weight comes off in spurts.

What I'm doing.... reduced calories, bowflex, walking, hiking, kayaking. Soon to start up on the bicycle. Looking to better resemble an athlete, both in form and function...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 pm 

I'm definitely one of the heavy hitters when it comes to ZS crew, and given recent revelations, I'm determine to make some real life changes.

6'1", 305lbs.

I've always been a big guy, but I'm really wanting to maintain a healthier lifestyle. Right now I'm working about 60 hours a week, and finding the motivation to be active/eat healthy has been lacking. I don't mind still carrying a bigger frame, but I want to be at least fit and not be out of breath after 7 minutes on the elliptical.

I'm leaving for Germany on June 24, but I'll be walking a shitload over there and will be sticking to a solid regiment when I return! :D

That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:23 pm 

Okay, I'll join. I'm 5'10" and 200 pounds. I'd be happy with 180.

BOAT
Water Storage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Name: Jym

Current Weight: Approx. 308 lbs.

Height: 6' 4"

Target Weight: 200 lbs.

Reason and Goal: I started another weight loss thread, starting at about 326 lbs. It petered out, though... and I'll admit I didn't give it a whole lot of attention. I'm trying to be less of a burden on the airplanes I fly. Right now, I have to fly the Cherokee 180 instead of the much less expensive Tomahawks... due to useful load concerns, especially in this warm weather. If I can get down to 200 lbs, my airplane options will be much more open... and I'll feel a lot better too.
I'd also like to be able to once again complete century rides on my bike.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm down:

Name: Mike
Weight: 185lbs
Height: 73"
Age 34

Short term goal (90 days): Finish my P90x program. Gain strength in weak areas, such as abdominals and shoulders. Drop weight to 175-180lbs. I'm ballparking at about 12-15% bodyfat
Mid term goal (91-180 days): 100% on Army PFT test. That would be 13:18 2 mile run, 75 push ups, 76 situps, and 14 pullups.(Retired Army, just like the metric for judging my fitness)
Long term goal (180+): To continue exercising at least 45minutes a day, every day. Concentrate on my yoga, and more life enhancing exercises.

Current status: 65/75 pushups, 60/76 situps in 2 mins. 8/14 pullups before failure. 14:35 2 mile run. At week 2 of P90x Lean. Biking distance is up to about 30 miles round trip.

How often should we update? Weekly? Personally I like twice a week updates to keep everyone in the mindset, so how about fridays (mindset for the weekend) and mondays (lets us reflect on our sins) ;)

Last edited by Hannibal on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 pm 

I''ll join too.

Name: Morphace

Current Weight:
220 lbs. (as of this morning)

Height: 6'

Target Weight:
190 lbs.

Reason and Goal:
I've actually already been working towards this goal. I as working to become a LEO in the San Mateo County area of CA a couple of years ago. So hit the gym and lost a lot of weight. The wife and I had a baby girl and moved back to central WA and the LEO thing died as I got back into graphic design. With that death came the weight again. I was sitting around 248 two months ago and realized it was effecting my ability to play with my kids or do anything remotely active, it was even effecting my sleep. So I made the decision to cut back on my calorie intake, and increase my activities to burn calories and drop the weight. I've dropped some and already feel much better.

as for my plan. I've already cut out a lot of things like soda, and lowered how much food I eat in a single sitting (no more large pizzas for me). I drink a lot of water and plan to continue to do so, but now I'll start exercising again (something I've been meaning to do just not doing). Thanks for this thread I have already found it very motivating.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:28 pm 

I guess I'm in.
Name: Confucius (or Nathan if you prefer)
Current Weight: 200
Height: 6 ft
Goal weight: 185 by September 20th (Three months + one day)

I've always been a little larger than I would like, at one point I was up to 212, but I'm down from that now with semi-consistent exercise and a fairly good diet. I'd really like to get down to about 185 and increase my endurance and strength in the process (Back in High School I was benching over 225 lb, but I'd be hard-pressed to do 135 right now, that goes away fast). Three months is just because I think that is a good time-frame for this, and the one day is because I have a delicious marionberry pie I baked yesterday that needs to be eaten. I mean, if it was cake I'd just toss it out, but it's pie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 pm 

Name: Randy
Current Weight: 285
Height: 6' 0"
Goal: 225 by years end
Reason: Overall health and to stave off End stage renal disease. It's going to be tough as my kidneys are so bad that it's hard to exercise, for fun toss in diabetes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm 

I am in!

Name - Oldpagan

Weight - 220 lbs

height - 5'9''

Goal - 180 lbs

Reason - Cuz I am getting to old to be a lard ass. Its wearing me down and I can't hump a pack and outrun zombies being a fat ass.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:26 am 

I'm in!

Name: Kelly

Height: 6 ft 1"

Weight: Last time at Dr. I was 258 lbs. Don't have a scale at home but will weigh in on the shipping scale at work come monday. I think I have lost a few since that office visit, but not sure.

Goal: I would like to get down to the 200 to 210 range

Reasons: I have had high BP for the last 3 years and I'm long overdue for trying to help the problem.

raptor wrote:

America even in the midst of a recession is a nation of plenty; we should not allow children to go hungry.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:04 am 

Yeah, I guess I'm in if Kev and Gerry are too.

Name: James

Height: 6'4''

Weight: 255lbs

Goal: 220lbs

Reason: A while back I made an effort and went down to 230 and felt great. It was hard work and it sucked but it was worth it. Thing is I was so focused on eating healthy and exercising when I lost focus I just drifted back into bad eating habits and my regular sedentary lifestyle. I want to try and change those habits entirely instead of just being in 'diet mode'. I'm aiming to set myself up a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:49 pm 

I'm in. I have recently joined a gym and started working out more. A good chunk of my goals I am already doing so he challenge is going to be sticking closer to them and continuing this lifestyle change. The highest I was last I checked was 206 a month ago and I am down to 200 so I guess I'll start there.

Name: Emberfox

Current Weight: 200lbs

Current Dress Size: 14-16 (US)

Height: 5' 2"

Target Weight: 160 lbs.
Target Dress Size: 6-8 (US

Reason and Goal: I need to lose weight to be more healthy and to lower my cholesterol levels to prevent 'bad things' in the future since my family as had a history of multiple problems.
Honestly, right now if anyone wanted to chase me down on foot and beat me up for any reason I would be pulp in a few minutes. I'd like the ability to run far and defend myself should the situation come up. My true target is more related to the fat content of my body than the weight. Current waist size is 42" and dress size is 14-16, I want to get down to 32" and dress size 6-8. I want to look and feel good :D

Diet goals:

Breakfast = Oatmeal and banana
Fruit for snacks, protein water to stave off hunger.
Smaller lunches and at least one salad as a meal a day.
Less sweets and cakes.
(Full desserts only once or twice a week. 1 oz. or less chocolate permitted a day.)

Exercise goals:
Be able to do pull-ups without assistance easily by the end of challenge.

Work out 1 and 1/2 hours a day during the week as follows:
Mon - 1 hr eliptical at gym, 1/2 hr walk at lunch
Tues - 1 hr weight training (full body), 1/2hr walk at lunch
Wed - 1 hr eliptical at gym, 1/2 hr walk at lunch
Thurs - 1 hr weight training (full body), 1/2hr walk at lunch
Friday - 1hr eliptical at gym OR Bodyflow class, 1/2 hr walk at lunch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:17 pm 

Best of luck to everyone! If you work hard at your goals, and stick to it, you will win. Maybe not in some predefined timeframe mind you, but this isn't a race against any clock, what you and I are doing is making life-changing decisions and actions here.

We all talk about the ZPaw and all, but what do you do if you arent in good enough shape to walk to a safer place in a disaster? This is critical stuff! Prepping equipment is good, prepping the body is absolutely essential.

Again, good luck.

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:09 pm 

You make good points, why worry about what pack you've got or how heavy your carbine is, if you're not in shape to go places on foot wearing nothing but a hydration pack? While I suspect people would end up working their way into shape in case of a ZPAW or the like, but being already in good shape at the onset could be THE difference-maker.

Good luck to all, work hard, stick to your guns. I'm no guru but if I can help with advice or encouragement in any way, I'm here for y'all!

DaveJohns wrote:
Best of luck to everyone! If you work hard at your goals, and stick to it, you will win. Maybe not in some predefined timeframe mind you, but this isn't a race against any clock, what you and I are doing is making life-changing decisions and actions here.

We all talk about the ZPaw and all, but what do you do if you arent in good enough shape to walk to a safer place in a disaster? This is critical stuff! Prepping equipment is good, prepping the body is absolutely essential.

Again, good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:24 pm 

Name: ZedR1

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 275

Short term target: 10% weight loss by 30Aug.
Long term goal: 25% weight loss. Improved Strength, Stamina.

I don't really have a diet plan that I will follow, rather, I just want to make sure I cut back on my intake as far as serving sizes goes, especially when it comes to carbohydrates and empty calories. I need to start walking reasonable distances every night, like I did two summers ago. Then, I would walk 2-3 hours every other night or so. It was refreshing, and did wonders to cure the 'cabin fever' aspect of being cooped up in an apartment in a small town with not so much to do. I lost probably 10 or 20 pounds that way, but put them back on once I got to college.

I figure I might be able to schedule in time at the Gym twice a week.. What should I do?

Eventually, I'd like to try the P90x system out. Do any of you have experience with this?

I want to build up strength, but I don't want to stick out. I also like Hannibal's idea of using the Army PFT as a fitness metric, but I feel as if I am far from coming anywhere close to passing that.

Help motivate me, ZS :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

R1, Back in 2000, I started at 350 lbs.
Joined the Y, hit the gym about 3 times a week, with walks and short bike rides (had a crappy Walmart bike and no real knowledge) between gym visits. Gave up burgers, fries, soda, etc., just changed the sorts of food I ate on a regular basis.
As I don't have the greatest willpower, I usually just went to places where I couldn't do too badly even if I tried. Spent a lot
of time at Subway, but I also found that I could go to McDonald's and have a salad shaker (I guess they don't have those anymore).
Lost 120 lbs or so the first year, and when I moved to Arkansas, got down to 195. I went from a 48 waist (getting tight) to being able to pull on a size 31. Learned about bikes, and got into great shape with the bike club here.

What I look like now (about 30 lbs lighter than when I started the previous effort)
Where I got with a little time, effort, and a lot of fun...

Beyond a bout with arthritis (great excuse to get fat again, eh?), I think I oughta be able to get back to somewhere near my
peak condition. I won't be riding with a racing club this time... I'll stick with the touring crowd, since my fast-twitch muscle tissue will be losing ground to the more endurance-type slow twitch stuff anyway as I get older.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 am 

What a remarkable tale. Good for you!

I just wanted to pop in and say...

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

Kevin

Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:25 pm 

ok I guess I'm in too. I need to make my ass slightly less fat :lol:

current weight: 237 lbs
height: 5'6"
my eventual goal: +/- 180 lbs

My "diet" plan isn't really a diet plan. I just need to mind what I eat. I tend to snack when I'm bored, and I don't always make the best choices. C'mon....apple or poptarts?! It's an impossible decision!

Everyone who is participating ought to take pictures of themselves. Not to post now, but in January next to your fabulous "now" picture. That way we will all be able to see how far we've come!

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm 

airexurb wrote:

Everyone who is participating ought to take pictures of themselves. Not to post now, but in January next to your fabulous "now" picture. That way we will all be able to see how far we've come!

Yea, did that. Not happy with what it looks like.

Just for motivation, I stored it into my phone. So every time I think about stopping at a Mickey D's or Taco Hell, I will pull that pic up and say "OMGMYEYES!!!"

BTW, Famine, are you gonna start editing the initial post with weekly tallies, or anything?

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:06 pm 

I'm in.

Height: 5'10"
Current weight: 255 lbs. (lost a bit of weight at ZCON! Woot!)
Fitness/weight loss goals: I'd like to get down to about 215-220, but I'd like to put on some muscle as well as lose weight, so that might be impossible. As much as I'd like to look lean and mean, fitness goals that challenge your abilities mean more to me. Mainly, I'd like to do a century (100 miles in one day on a bicycle) and bag a Fourteener (a mountain that exceeds 14,000 feet (4,267.2 m) above mean sea level, read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteener). I'd like to do the century before the year is out, and the Fourteener next spring. Maybe someone would like to join me?

I've participated in (and won) a weight-loss challenge before, but I was just in it for the money ($700 winner takes all) and put all the weight back over the 6 months that followed. This time it's for me. Good luck to all!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next