ZS Global Zombie Disaster Recovery Plan

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

EeRie
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

ZS Global Zombie Disaster Recovery Plan

Post by EeRie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:49 pm

Something that I see getting overlooked within the Zombie Squad is a recovery plan. There is all this talk of disaster preparedness & survival within the ZS yet I’ve learned no comprehensive disaster preparedness plan is complete without the key component of infrastructure recovery plan.

I propose that we start a project that will encompass an all out formal global zombie disaster recovery plan. I envision this project to involve all ZS members and their respective chapters as well as ZS:BoD. Each member will submit their individual DR plan of 1-20 pages in length. These personal DR plans should encompass a risk & asset identification assessments with a range of 5 and 10 miles.

Each squad member would identify the risks and potential impacts associated with their area related to securing it as a "zombie free zone", sustainability, and ultimately infrastructure recovery. For example surrounding recourses such as a water treatment facility, local farm or other large food or fuel storage locations as well as threats like large gas lines or crowded urban areas should all be identified. Natural risks and resources should be listed as well, such as fault lines or wilderness expanses categorized at both the 5 and 10 mile circumference of the members selected secure location. Don’t forget to include tangible and intangible risks and impacts like difference between the loss of a building or the loss of a Library. These assessments should attempt to quantify impacts in terms of labor, complexity, risks, etc...

You also want to identify personal assets and resources that are necessary for survival following a disaster. Always remembering these are your personal DR plans and your number one asset will always be your family and friends. Untimely if properly prepared these plans will consist of essentially a list of resources and shutting the door but may include communication methods, picking up family and driving somewhere to “shut the door”. The personal recovery plan should be based on a minimal three days of self sufficiency.

Resources should be ranked according to the time in which they are needed and how critical they are to sustainability. Then for each asset and resource identify any threats. List the precautions you have implemented for elimination of all avoidable risks and the minimization for those risks that are unavoidable. Consideration for the security of property and assets like family, supplies, friends, tools or skill sets that are necessary for continued sustainability and how to protect these assists should be part of this DR plan.

Be as specific as possible in identifying people and communication methods with all who will be within the scope of your plan. Before doing this you may want to determine the factors which may lead to a decision to include persons to the scope as well as what factors that might lead to a decision to reject someone. Then of course identify the risks associated with bring person "into the fold" (if you will) and the benefits associated with a recovery effort. One must also determine where the strain to the recovery plan that originates from including additional people and what some of the impacts that can be expected are. Discussions of the implications to the group when unfamiliar people are invited in to a social structure and the potential personnel issues which may arise must be addressed.

Part of the personal disaster recovery plan is not only should these risks and resources be listed but ways to mitigating the threats as well as possible resource procurement should be discussed. These disaster recovery plans should be prepared at a chapter level as well. I propose the 3 chapter heads obtain copies of each chapter member’s personal DR plan to prepare a plan on a local if not regional scale. A secure and yet easily accessible location should be chosen for the chapters HQ. As part of the chapter DR plan the precautions and steps to securing the chapter HQ location should be covered as well. The chapter DR plan should include a communication and possible rescue plans for members, taking into account complete infrastructure failure that this DR plan implies. Along with the asset identification and risk & resource assessments categorized at both the 20 and 50 mile circumferences of the chapter HQ. This chapter plan should also include communication with ZS HQ at least if not with individual chapter HQs.

Each of these chapter disaster recovery plans should then be submitted to ZS HQ who should then develop and publish a global zombie recovery plan that can be used as a guide in not only preparing for disaster but recovering from it as well. This global recovery plan with its list of identifying and securing threats along with resources and their procurement methods could be paramount in reestablishing city's and ultimately the global infrastructure after Zombpocalypse.

It must be said that any Disaster Recovery plan posted here should only be implemented in case of a catastrophic zombie outbreak or all out Zombpocalypse. This use of zombie outbreak & Zombpocalypse should be taken as literal not as any metaphorical disaster. Only when there is a complete and total breakdown of society should this type of plan be attempted as the over whelming implications of communication and coordination with other federal or certified recovery efforts are not within the scope of this plan.

Please feel free to submit your personal DR plan here for review, identify & disclose any uncertainties or assumptions you make.
I will post mine as soon as its finished however trying to simply cover everything I felt should be included in a DR plan can prove to be as never ending as the plan itself.

If this post validity as no more than a learning exercise as show in the red text above is posted in a thread that does not suit such merely fun theoretical games please feel free to request an admin to move it to a more appropriate thread
LasVegasWeekly.com wrote:“If you can survive a zombie apocalypse, you can survive anything,” said Eerie. As the founder of the Vegas chapter/comic relief/skirt chasing degenerate/drunk... Eerie established ZS 009 in January as a way for more colorful members of our community to get involved in activism.
ZSC:009
"Don't gamble with your life, Be Prepared!"

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: ZS Global Zombie Disaster Recovery Plan

Post by Abacus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:01 am

No. Sorry mate, but this seems sort of foolish in concept and execution. I think the amount of thought you put into the notion is commendable, but wasted. Try your SWOT analysis on your local area, see how quickly that fails?

ZS lacks the organization, manpower, authority, in short, the resources, to enact a Global recovery plan. The reason this is absent is look around the forum, do you see anything to indicate that ZS is that dedicated and organized?

ZS, at it's core, is a charity group, that happens to have some interest in disaster prepping, but we aren't the Red Cross the NG or FEMA.
ImageImage

EeRie

Post by EeRie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:34 am

I totally agree that this is not meant as any sort of realistic recovery plan, only that the designing of a plan is educational and entertaining as well as encouraged cooperation between chapters and members. Designing such a DR plan causes one to not only think locally about disaster recovery but see how they and their area fits in to an global scheme.
Jvandenhaus wrote:No. Sorry mate, but this seems sort of foolish in concept and execution. I think the amount of thought you put into the notion is commendable, but wasted. Try your SWOT analysis on your local area, see how quickly that fails?

ZS lacks the organization, manpower, authority, in short, the resources, to enact a Global recovery plan. The reason this is absent is look around the forum, do you see anything to indicate that ZS is that dedicated and organized?

ZS, at it's core, is a charity group, that happens to have some interest in disaster prepping, but we aren't the Red Cross the NG or FEMA.
LasVegasWeekly.com wrote:“If you can survive a zombie apocalypse, you can survive anything,” said Eerie. As the founder of the Vegas chapter/comic relief/skirt chasing degenerate/drunk... Eerie established ZS 009 in January as a way for more colorful members of our community to get involved in activism.

sferrari
Favorite Zombie Movies: Adam Curtis documentaries

Post by sferrari » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 am

First, I'm pretty sure that this belongs in contingency planning & preparation.

Second; I've never been fond of centralized power/planning. If an event facilitated complete dispersal of authority, I would probably be doing everything in my power to maintain that power structure. Once localized sovereignty is FIRMLY entrenched, I might contribute to repairing physical infrastructure.

Be responsible for your own well being; force others to do the same.
I don't care how it was done in California.

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
- Robert Heinlein

DaJoker

Post by DaJoker » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:44 am

I like the concept but I think this is something that needs to start at a Chapter level, say with the Vegas Chapter, and if it proves successful be adopted by other Chapters and then maybe conceive an international plan. Yay federalism!

I think I'll be making my own report anyway and posting it. But don't hold your breath.
NLM FEMA8 Knucklebuster
"Man's true profession is to find the road to himself." Thomas Hobbes
“Showing reality always makes the best propaganda.” Taliban member quoted in Newsweek
M1A/5.7x28mm/Green Wire/Pie

NightHiker

Post by NightHiker » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 pm

:words:
Last edited by NightHiker on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

winnie3k
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead

Post by winnie3k » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:43 pm

NightHiker wrote: Hmmm, we may not be the NG, IRC or FEMA but we probably are the most knowledgable group when it comes to zombies.
I just want to share something we've agreed on out here in ZSC011-land: we don't ACTUALLY believe in zombies. We actually discourage those guys from signing up ...
Don't think you're getting out of detention just because you're a zombie!
--Principal Gomez, "Last Night on Earth" (game)

EeRie

Post by EeRie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:58 pm

As I assumed I think most are missing the point of preparing a fictional zombie disaster recovery plan simply for the education and fun of it. I totally found some cave's not 8 miles from my house in researching to make my plan. Kewl stuff man...
winnie3k wrote:
NightHiker wrote: Hmmm, we may not be the NG, IRC or FEMA but we probably are the most knowledgable group when it comes to zombies.
I just want to share something we've agreed on out here in ZSC011-land: we don't ACTUALLY believe in zombies. We actually discourage those guys from signing up ...
Last edited by EeRie on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hague720
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn O the Dead

Post by hague720 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 am

sounds like a FED , writes like a FED then in all probability...........(feel free to add last line at your discretion....)

:wink:

ETA: its my right of voicing my opinion under the spirit of the forum :|
OPEN CHANNEL D MR SOLO...

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”