I know how to Create electric light without power

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CaptainZ

I know how to Create electric light without power

Post by CaptainZ » Mon May 09, 2005 3:17 pm

I dont know if anyone has ever discussed this before, and I didnt see anything on here, so I thought I would share my knowledge. Basically you need a regular lamp, a bowl of water, and a canister of morton salt. Cut the plug off that would normally plug into the socket, split the ends, and then peel off some of the plastic of the ends of the wires. Fill the bowl with water and place the ends of wire in the bowl. Then begin to pour the salt into the water as you pour, the light will begin to brighten more and more. The more you pour in, the brighter it gets. After you stop pouring the lightbulb should stay lit for a little while. If it starts to get dim, just stir the water and salt back up and it should brighten a bit. I have done this many times and it works great. Although it wont run for hours, It atleast provides light on a short term basis. Plus you can filter the salt from the water when your done, and then reuse it again. Let me know what you think! Again THIS REALLY WORKS. I have done it many times.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:08 pm

Interesting.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Mon May 09, 2005 6:17 pm

Just guessing here, but I'd say that has something to do with the ionization of the sodium ions... So you COULD filter out the salt, but you couldn't use it again.
Taking the practical out of tactical.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Mon May 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Not bad at all. I'll try that when I get home.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

squido

Post by squido » Tue May 10, 2005 7:26 am

Hollywood wrote:Just guessing here, but I'd say that has something to do with the ionization of the sodium ions... So you COULD filter out the salt, but you couldn't use it again.
aye, if you could keep using it again and again that'd be....... :shock:
When TSHTF, I am going to be very unclean.

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Tue May 10, 2005 11:37 am

Valarius wrote:Not bad at all. I'll try that when I get home.
Did you try it yet?

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Tue May 10, 2005 1:00 pm

* cue up scurvey pirate accent* ARR! Tis 'Black Magik' ya speak of!(hahaha) I have a question though:" How much salt do I need?" Does the material the bowl is made of have any thing to do with it?" "Does a ceramic, glass, or metal container factor into this experiment?" "What type of wattage bulb can I use?" I'm guessing the lower the wattage bulb the greater my chances of success. Am I right? Does the length of the wire used have anything do do with it? I am again guessing the shorter the wire the less resistance I will get and this will improve my chances of success.

I saw a history channel thing on something like this. Archaelogists found a primitive 'battery' made of a pottery/ceramic jar or container with a copper core. The jar is then filled with an acidic liquid of some kind. The unit is then able to generate a SMALL amount of electricity. I think these need to be wired in a circuit for there to be of any appreciable amount of Juice. Is this project of yours in a similar vain?
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Tue May 10, 2005 1:08 pm

I never saw the discovery channel thing. I just used a glass bowl. I just trimmed maybe an inch of plastic of the wires, just enough for the wires to show. As far as amount of salt, just keep pouring till it works. It shouldnt take much. Dont just dump the salt in, slowly pour in a little at a time. Any wattage bulb should work. I am going to try and do a video clip of me doing it.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Tue May 10, 2005 2:50 pm

Just throw a lightbulb in the ocean................

:lol:

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Tue May 10, 2005 3:00 pm

STOP YOU'LL ELECTROCUTE THE FISHIES!

This is a pretty good thing to keep in mind. I think I heard on some dumb TV sho that lemons will similarly work, or even potatoes.
Creaux
Barbarian Suppressing General

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue May 10, 2005 3:34 pm

Creaux wrote:This is a pretty good thing to keep in mind. I think I heard on some dumb TV sho that lemons will similarly work, or even potatoes.
And tomatos, bananas and tons of other crap.

A battery is basically two different metals in a liquid that conducts electricity. Metals that are far apart on the electromotive series generate the highest voltages. Some liquids conduct electricity better than others. See below:

Volts:
Magnesium = -2.34, Aluminum = -1.67, Manganese = -1.05, Zinc = -0.76,
Chromium = -0.71, Iron = -0.44, Nickel = -0.25, Tin = -0.14, Lead = -0.13
Copper = +0.34, Silver = +0.80, Platinum = +1.20, Gold = +1.42

The metals you choose will determine the voltage of the battery. For example: aluminum and copper will be +0.34 - (-1.67) = 2.01 volts.

Voltage is only part of the equation since power (watts) = voltage (volts) X current (amperes).

To increase the current you will need to increase the number of charge carriers in the electrolyte (the liquid between the metals), and increase the surface area of the metals. Try aluminum foil and a big sheet of copper foil.

To increase the number of charge carriers you'll have to use a stronger acid than just simple salt water. Start off with experimenting with something like vinegar with salt in it. Then move on to various household cleaners or other items with phosphoric acid as an ingredient.

Don't be a dumb ass. Do a little research if you're going to work with dangerous chemicals. Don't come running to me if you burn your face off.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Tue May 10, 2005 4:25 pm

Don't come running to me if you burn your face off.
That's right.

Come running to ME.

WITH PICTURES MOTHERFUCKER!!

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Thu May 12, 2005 6:02 pm

Nightside_Eclipse wrote:
Don't come running to me if you burn your face off.
That's right.

Come running to ME.

WITH PICTURES MOTHERFUCKER!!

Science!

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Thu May 12, 2005 7:15 pm

That's not science, there aren't any huge computers or weird sparking devices in the background, not to mention no white mice. I don't believe you.
Creaux

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

Survive1999

Post by Survive1999 » Fri May 20, 2005 8:32 pm

The problem is that the salt would be of more value that the light in a TEOTWAWKI situation.

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Sat May 21, 2005 2:08 am

Well, there should be plenty of stockpiled salt for a good while, but that raises a good question, what would be a good long-term source of salty goodness?
Creaux

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun May 22, 2005 4:40 pm

what would be a good long-term source of salty goodness?
An ocean.

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Mon May 23, 2005 1:47 am

:?

Not to sound like a stupid douche, but how would you extract salt from, say, the Jersey Shore w/o getting all sorts of other fun things in it?

If it were so easy, I doubt salt would have made a good currency in Rome, seeing as it was a peninsula and all.
Creaux

Steev

Post by Steev » Tue May 24, 2005 1:46 am

Ghaundi protested the english control over India by showing the people how to obtain salt from the ocean by evapouration.
-S9teev
"Theres no 9 in Steve"
"It's a silent 9"

SKS, 10/22, 870P, 1911, AR15, TT33

Maj.Exec

Post by Maj.Exec » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:56 pm

Salt Flats...do I know what they are? No. Does that matter? No.

It's easy, just evaporate the entire ocean. Or, a glass of salt water, whichever presents itself first.
They're coming to get you Barbara...

blankorangutan

Post by blankorangutan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:34 pm

Just guessing here, but I'd say that has something to do with the ionization of the sodium ions... So you COULD filter out the salt, but you couldn't use it again.
Is salt without sodium bad for you or something?
or is it not considered salt any more?
look out for falling anvils

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:46 pm

Salt is Sodium Chloride. It is the by product of water/sodium reaction.

One thing you need in salt is iodine. Look in your kitchen and I bet you have a contianer of iodized salt. The iodine is added since you need a small amount of iodine for proper thyroid gland function. It keeps you from getting goiters, which is a bad thing indeed. Your thyroid gland swells and your whole neck buldges out past you face. A bad thing to have in the PAW.

There is still a little sodium left in the salt. It may have an ionizing effect creating electricty in the water.

By the way, if anyone is interested, postassium chlorate is another compound classified as a salt. It was used in cartridge primers and was found to be the culpret behind corrosive ammo (Hatcher's Notebook, Chapter 3)

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:11 pm

YEa, you can generate power with all kinds of crap...but the problems with all of the Saltwater/potatos/lemons methods is that yo need a large, continuous source of the EDIBLE fuels to make them do anything worth while. its not even practical in the NORMAL world, let alone the PAW.

Good news, though. you can generate electricity withoght batteries or dangerous chemical solutions! electrical current can be generated by passing a coil of conductive wire (like copper) through a magnetic field. using this Idea, it is quite possible to make a hand-crank electrical generator to power some Rechargable powercells out of some stero speaker magnets, scrap wire, and some electrical conduit.

This device can also be adapted to waterwheels, or windmills.

My advice? Eat the Veggies and scrounge up a modern-style power generator.

MrRevenge

Post by MrRevenge » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Interesting very interesting I shall try this once I have the time. Thanks for the info man.
Takin revenge on people's sorry asses since 1886..

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”