Meat Storage during paw?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Meat Storage during paw?

Post by driftking777 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:47 pm

so was curious what everyone thought about meat storage, or methods if you will during the paw. Obviously salting the meat could gain some time, however only so much.

Now say your in the woods with 4 people in your group and kill a decent size deer. Obviously you can only eat so much meat between 4 people, and you also want to preserve as much rations as possible. i suppose you could dehydrate the meat. but suppose how long you think that will last?

When i think about it i cant really think of any good way to store meat or keep it longer than a week before it goes bad, and i would hate to kill an animal and not eat it all. I hate wasting.

Ideas anyone?

*EDIT* btw, im pretty much strictly talking summer/early fall. as the other seasons are pretty easy to cope with.
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

¿

Re: Meat Storage during paw?

Post by ¿ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Air-drying/smoking it?

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:10 pm

proper smokng, canning or dehydrating will keep a product for a year (or more). It takes a lot more effort than freezing, and it also takes following careful instructions, so I'd keep books on hand for it, as well as supplies. However, those means of preservation kept people in meat year round for centuries so it's worth learning and doing, especially in a PAW.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Salting it, smoking it, pickling it in brine.

Depending on how you are getting your meat, keeping it live is often a good way to ensure its freshness too!
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Skokie
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Skokie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:48 pm

+1 for smoking... It's the best way I know of to preserve meat without refrigeration. Plus, everyone loves jerky, right?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST

incendiary_dan
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by incendiary_dan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Also, learn how to properly age meat.
"Non-violence never solved anything." - C.M. Burns

Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/

derajer

Post by derajer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Look into Biltong, it is a type of dry pickling that is actually quite fast.
Check out the Zombie Squad Wiki especially the Bug-out Bag Article

Galath
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead

Post by Galath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 am

TheGunslinger wrote:Depending on how you are getting your meat, keeping it live is often a good way to ensure its freshness too!
This traveling salesman is _way_ out in the hills and approaches a farmer to try to
sell his wares. He notices a three legged pig hopping around in the front yard and
asks the farmer about it.
"That's no ordinary pig!" exclaims the farmer. "That pig is smart! We all owe our lives
to that thar pig! Why, last winter we wuz all asleep and a spark from the fireplace
caught the cabin on fire, and we would've all burned up. But that pig squeeled and
beat on the front porch to wake us up and saved all our lives! And last sprang my
son wuz a swimmin in the pond and took a cramp and woulda drown, but that thar
pig come a runnin to the back fourty where I was a plowin and drug me by the
overalls til I saw him and saved his life again!"
"Wow, but what happened to his leg?" asked the salesman.
"We owe it all to that pig! Why, it wouldn't be right to just eat him all at once!"
Trebor wrote:Lubrication is important with the Cougar.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am

Depending on what resources you have, you could try making an improvised root cellar. Keeping the meat cool wouldn't hurt, no matter what other methods you use.

I think you would ideally use some combination of methods, each adding to the meats shelf life. Smoked and salted meat, stored in a cool place sure would last longer than raw meat in the open.... :roll:
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

driftking777

Post by driftking777 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:49 am

i was thinking of doing a shelter myself. nothing like diggine a 5ft deep hole to keep it as cool as possible. possibly with some improvision you could make forms. If you could find some sort of quikcrete you could make walls and a floor which could also act as a fridge.

and yea, smoking/dehydrating would probably be the way i went with it. along with the hole in the ground. (cellar)
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:08 pm

driftking777 wrote:i was thinking of doing a shelter myself. nothing like diggine a 5ft deep hole to keep it as cool as possible. possibly with some improvision you could make forms. If you could find some sort of quikcrete you could make walls and a floor which could also act as a fridge.
If you've got geology on your side, you can find 5 flat rocks which could make floor, walls and roof. I've seen it done - but only to make a tiiiiny fridge...
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

colinz

Post by colinz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 am

driftking777 wrote: i was thinking of doing a shelter myself. nothing like diggine a 5ft deep hole to keep it as cool as possible. possibly with some improvision you could make forms. If you could find some sort of quikcrete you could make walls and a floor which could also act as a fridge.
The natives in NZ (the Maori) used buried cellars like that for long term(ish) storage of their root vegetables, so they certainly can work. :)

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:49 am

Make a spring house if you have access to running water.
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

evil0rphan

Post by evil0rphan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Been a while since I've been here, and saw this thread as I was getting caught up...

One way they used to preserve pork was to fry it up in pieces, and save the oil/rendered fat. You need a clean (very clean) crock. You pour in some of the liquid fat, then lay in a layer of the meat, then more fat, then meat, and so on. When the fat cools (think bacon grease) is will for an anaerobic seal. Pork will keep like that for months, but it does tend to go a bit off after a time. That's one of the possible origins for the term "scraping the bottom of the barrel" comes from.

This was the method that some folks used to preserve pork during the winter months after they slaughtered hogs in the late fall. When ever you needed some meat, you just dug down a layer and pulled some out, careful not to expose a lower layer.

And no salt was used in this method, but it may increase storage times. Foxfire series of books really go into this sort of thing, and worth owning the set.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:54 am

1> Eat til you explode
2> Make sausage out of some of that fresh meat.
3> Cold smoke the sausage and any other meats you plan to eat soon-ish
warm weather option:
4> Slice the meat into thin 3inx12in strips and air dry them - use to make jerky/biltong, borts or pemmican.
cold weather option:
4> Freeze the meat and keep stored in raised cache.
Last edited by Ufdyixcaff on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:40 am

Drying and smoking. Native Americans were preserving buffalo by the herd for hundreds of years. I'm sure we wasicu could learn a few things from them.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

Post by American_Infidel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Canning.
I can meats every now and then (more of an experiment than anything right now) and as long as you follow the instructions to a T, everything is good to go.
So far I have canned stew beef, hamburger, and chicken.
Welcome to Erf

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Before Off Topic contributors and their posts are "burned to the ground" as stated by 'The Powers That Be', I have decided to take action and remove the 6,747 unwelcome posts contributed by me in the past 7 years.

My apologies to forum members for any inconvenience this may cause. This is the 4th time it's been threatened and I'm too old and tired to fight it again.
Bless you.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Tentickles

Post by Tentickles » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 pm

Smoking meat is an awesome thing.

I like to cover my meat in fresh sage then air dry it (with insect shield). But that only works in summer.
TheBlunderbuss wrote:"The alien is not your dead husband. Don't have sex with it, or else you'll turn into a zombie"
zXzGrifterzXz wrote: "I don't have a rabbit, its for my baby. Diapers get too expensive and the little thing seems to like the taste of the wood chips so I figured why the hell not!"

Chantrea
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm

I know that you can salt fish and presumably other meat, but I'd think the salt would be more precious than the meat. Maybe?

Smoking rocks though. :)

driftking777

Post by driftking777 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 pm

^^you certainly can use the salt method, its part of a aging/dehydrating process (depending how you go about it). works really well. like i said though, its typically used for aging meat though.

scafool

Post by scafool » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:19 am

Well, this is a bit different.
http://www.ur.umich.edu/9495/May08_95/storage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He suggests sinking it in a lake.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:If you're interested in doing a little reading, try the 'Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project'. Historical cookbooks that cover everything having to do with historical kitchens.
You'll find butchering, smoking, pickling, etc information. The canning information is outdated, however.

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/coo ... rowse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I meant to thank you for this link way back when but am just getting around to it. Several of this books are really interesting!

reddawn
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the comet, original Night of the living dead, new Dawn of the dead.

Post by reddawn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I do not know how well it is going to work but this is the plan I have. I have a chest style freezer that quit working this last year. I have a fresh water stream that runs year round with water so cold it hurts your teeth to drink it thats runs right through my property. I am going to drill some 1 inch holes threw the sides of the freezer and dig a large enough hole to submerge the freezer under water. The current of the water will keep the water circulating threw the holes and back out to keep fresh water flowing threw. I am going to put it in a shaded spot on the stream so it will not have direct sunlight. My plan is to wrap the meat in plastic bags and just submerge it in the water. I figure this should keep the meat fresh long enough to able to consume it and store till I can process it.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”