Shaving with a straight razor?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Re: Shaving with a straight razor?

Post by andygates » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:05 am

Chef wrote:Don't try it hungover.
Nothing focuses the mind and the hand like a few inches of razor steel. :)
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

i am not infected
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, diary of the dead

Post by i am not infected » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:44 pm

hahahaha
-Stranded Survivors
Los Angeles, CA Zombie Outbreak
http://www.iamnotinfected.com

SaraBellum
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by SaraBellum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:59 am

Chiming in with one lady's perspective: beards are hot.
Every post you guys make is like a balloon of oxygen sent special delivery to my underwater cave.

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:47 am

SaraBellum wrote:Chiming in with one lady's perspective: beards are hot.
Now convince all of our Lady friends to believe that as well :wink:
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:13 am

crypto wrote:SweetTea, I'd like to suggest a compromise between buying the latest 5-bladed hunk of plastic and metal that costs $3 a pop, and the utter terror that comes with pulling an open razorblade across your neck:

The safety razor.

These were the first real alternative to the straight razor that found mass market appeal in the modern world. They use the little all-steel blades that look like this:

You can get a 20-pack of these at any drug-store or grocery store for about $2, which makes them about a tenth of the cost of a MachIII system. Also, since the blades are all steel, you can easily recycle them when they're dull.

As far as the shaver itself, you can go two ways: Merkur makes the one I posted the picture of. I have one, and have been shaving with it for 10 years. I love it. It's about $45 new, which is steep, but it's a solid hunk of German chrome steel.

If you dont want to pay that kind of money, go on ebay and get an old used Gillette safety razor. They're classy as hell, and fairly cheap in good condition.

Anyway, it's an escape from the 5-blades-and-two-strips nonsense.
That's what I use, every day. My wife bought me an antique brass safety razor from an antique shop in Eureka, CA. I think it ran between $5 and $15, and it came with a case and a box of blades! They were still good, too. When those ran out she bought me a box from the drugstore; I like it because after a blade gets dull, you take out a new one, then put the dull one back in the dispenser, on the opposite side. When all the sharp blades are gone, and the dispenser is full of dull blades, you throw it out as a unit. No sharps issues.

Seriously. I love that thing. The low cost of the blades means I'm less reluctant to change them, as compared to those plastic, three-tiered monstrosities. They work fine, but they cost so much I end up using them over and over until they scratch the shit out of my face. I haven't used one in over two years. I'm a safety razor guy, now.

SaraBellum
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by SaraBellum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:13 am

MosinMe wrote: Now convince all of our Lady friends to believe that as well :wink:
Dear Ladies,

Beards are hot. Your man will spend less time shaving and more time hanging out with you. Additionally, beards are soft and fun to play with. In my experience, most bearded men either look rugged and manly, or they look like Irish poets. Both have an amazingly attractive charm.

Please reform your views on beards. I promise you'll not regret it.

Love,
Sara!
Every post you guys make is like a balloon of oxygen sent special delivery to my underwater cave.

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 am

Whatever you do, don't let Whoopi Goldberg shave you with a straight-edge.

That being said, it'll be a beard for me, that's for sure!

amy*agogo

Post by amy*agogo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:52 am

i have nothing smart to add, other than it's really sexy when men shave with straight razors in movies.

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

~ Oscar Wilde

Lord-Reaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Diary of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil

Post by Lord-Reaper » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:05 pm

SaraBellum wrote:
MosinMe wrote: Now convince all of our Lady friends to believe that as well :wink:
Dear Ladies,

Beards are hot. Your man will spend less time shaving and more time hanging out with you. Additionally, beards are soft and fun to play with. In my experience, most bearded men either look rugged and manly, or they look like Irish poets. Both have an amazingly attractive charm.

Please reform your views on beards. I promise you'll not regret it.

Love,
Sara!
Fortunately, my girlfriend loves my facial hair. She told me she would cry if I shaved it. I'm going to the Apocalypse looking like Grizzly Adams.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." -T.S. Eliot

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm a Barber so I use a Straight Razor on every customer.
Here we still shave around the Ears and Neck with hot lather.
Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:21 pm

FYI, price check on the safety razor blades: five bucks for a ten-pack, that includes storage for the used blades. I get about five to ten shaves between blade changes, YMMV widely depending on your hair coarseness. Mine's probably average...?

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:39 pm

My favorite straight razor actually uses safety razor blades
cut in half longways. They are very sharp blades, and cheap
enough to replace with every customer (Per Health regulations).
I also use one at home on myself. Here it is:

http://stores.atlantabarber.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a cheaper model, but I've never tried it:

http://stores.atlantabarber.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also sell a "Disposable" straight razor for 50 cents:

Heres the most frequently used "Old School" straight razor:

If You want a New Safety Razor:

A lot of Barbers go to Sally's Beauty Supply (Or somewhere simular)
and buy a razor made to cut hair(3.00), and remove the safety guard.
I don't recommend doing this, but a lot of Barbers do it.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Vlad_Impaler

Post by Vlad_Impaler » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:40 am

Not that hard with practice. Works better than any multi-blade I have tried for clearing the scalp of fuzz. Get a hone, learn to hone.

Hone also works on disposable cartridges.

BlackBear

Post by BlackBear » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Jeriah wrote:
crypto wrote:SweetTea, I'd like to suggest a compromise between buying the latest 5-bladed hunk of plastic and metal that costs $3 a pop, and the utter terror that comes with pulling an open razorblade across your neck:

The safety razor.

These were the first real alternative to the straight razor that found mass market appeal in the modern world. They use the little all-steel blades that look like this:

You can get a 20-pack of these at any drug-store or grocery store for about $2, which makes them about a tenth of the cost of a MachIII system. Also, since the blades are all steel, you can easily recycle them when they're dull.

As far as the shaver itself, you can go two ways: Merkur makes the one I posted the picture of. I have one, and have been shaving with it for 10 years. I love it. It's about $45 new, which is steep, but it's a solid hunk of German chrome steel.

If you dont want to pay that kind of money, go on ebay and get an old used Gillette safety razor. They're classy as hell, and fairly cheap in good condition.

Anyway, it's an escape from the 5-blades-and-two-strips nonsense.
That's what I use, every day. My wife bought me an antique brass safety razor from an antique shop in Eureka, CA. I think it ran between $5 and $15, and it came with a case and a box of blades! They were still good, too. When those ran out she bought me a box from the drugstore; I like it because after a blade gets dull, you take out a new one, then put the dull one back in the dispenser, on the opposite side. When all the sharp blades are gone, and the dispenser is full of dull blades, you throw it out as a unit. No sharps issues.

Seriously. I love that thing. The low cost of the blades means I'm less reluctant to change them, as compared to those plastic, three-tiered monstrosities. They work fine, but they cost so much I end up using them over and over until they scratch the shit out of my face. I haven't used one in over two years. I'm a safety razor guy, now.
I want to re-iterate this. I have used a safety razor every day for the past year and a half. I have several, you can usually find them at antique stores. I've never paid more than 8 dollars for one.

If you're looking for the best, sharpest blade out there, look for Feather Blades. Yes, you can shave with the packs you buy at the drugstore, but once you try Feather blades you'll wonder why you ever did. Plus, if you look around you can find a 100 pack of them for about 28-30 bucks delivered. I bought 100 back in May of '07, and I'm still using them. 30 dollars for 16 months worth of razor blades. How much money have you spent on Mach 3 or Fusion blades in the last 16 months? If nothing else, the price alone is worth it.

Also, even if you don't go for a safety razor, get a mug, brush (badger hair, not the cheap boar hair you'll find at Wal-Mart) and some quality cream, it makes shaving more than a chore - it's an experience.

Finally, as recommended above, take some time and browse through Badger and Blade and learn all about it. You won't regret it.

Coop
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Coop » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:20 am

A while ago I bought a 'Wapienica'-brand new old stock straight razor. Great razor after honing, first time I had it done for me, after that I did it myself (not too hard with instructions found online, but it still takes me more time than I'd like). It's a great shave but a bit scary. Also I highly recommend using old style shaving creams. Most modern foams and gels are just too slippery (trust me, you NEVER want to use King of Shaves Magnagel MME with a straight razor). I prefer to use Palmolive classic shavingcream with mine.
I don't use my straight razor for my regular shaves tho. It just takes too much time. As I only shave about once a week due to some skin issues, I usually just use Mach3 and with my rate of shaving the cost isn't that bad as a single pack of blades lasts me quite a while. But last summer a friend gave me a safety razor as a gift. I still need to try that one though.

Also a good brush is highly recommended, I have this great Badger hair Omega brush, also a gift from my friend. It did smell like wet dog the first few times I used it, but sure makes the whole shaving experience a lot nicer. Also I recommend to either use a high quality natural brush or if you dont want to spend a lot a synthetic brush. I found most synthetic brushes nicer to shave with and of a better quality than the cheap natural brushes.
That German Guy wrote: There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING as demoralizing as a whack on the head followed by a warm mix of piss and glass shards flowing down into your collar.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:09 am

Allen wrote:I'm a Barber so I use a Straight Razor on every customer.
Here we still shave around the Ears and Neck with hot lather.
Cheers!
Yeah my barber does that too. I always used the same barber back home from when I was about 5 years old and went with my grandfather up until I was about 19 and left home. He was great, still working there too. So yeah I had to let a bunch of new guys do that shit until I found a barber I was happy with and it's fucking harrowing letting a total stranger near your face with a straight razor. Still, the guy I go to now is great, young but very professional and he's fucking fast with that straight edge of his. Scared the shit out of me the first time I went there. :lol:

incendiary_dan
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by incendiary_dan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm

For anyone planning to grow a beard in an emergency or apocalyptic scenario, just remember to keep it short if there is any chance of putting on a gas mask. Getting beard hairs caught and pulled while tightening the straps on a mask hurts like a bitch.
"Non-violence never solved anything." - C.M. Burns

Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:40 pm

The sad thing is that considering how little I actually need to shave, (I don't grow much of a beard, just some massive mutton chop sideburns that I keep long and my nech which I shave down) that with the money used to buy a quality straight razor I could buy like years and years worth of dispoable heads for my razor. I only change it every couple of months because I only shave every few weeks or so. I get kind of scruffy but my girlfriend likes it that way.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Hawk_45
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Planet Terror.

Post by Hawk_45 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:08 pm

I've been using an antique Gillette safety razor. They work great and can be found at antique stores for about five bucks. Less if you can haggle. I prefer a mug and some soap. That canned foam crap sucks. Make sure your soap has glycerine in it. Otherwise you're fucked. An alternative to the brush and soap for traveling or the PAW is a bottle of Shave Secret. It's an aloe based oil that comes in about a 2'' high bottle. Wet your face and add about five drops of Shave Secret. It never fails. Im stocking up several bottles for the PAW. They're only about $2.
Your best bet now is to abandon this username make a new one and re-introduce yourself and never speak of this again. - Finch

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:18 am

I bought a straight razor, thinking it would be fun and self-explanatory (ie, drag it across your face at an angle and don't cut yourself) and yet I can't actually seem to make it do anything. I sat there for a good fifteen minutes trying to shave with it and got nowhere.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Another +1 for safety razors. I use a Merkur Classic HD/Heavy Classic, whatever you want to call it. I like a close shave, and my superiors kind of demand a close shave, and I've found that Feather blades can make it quite a bit more aggressive. Grab some Tabac shave soap, or Colonel Konk Almond if you're cheap, and you're set.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:26 pm

incendiary_dan wrote:For anyone planning to grow a beard in an emergency or apocalyptic scenario, just remember to keep it short if there is any chance of putting on a gas mask. Getting beard hairs caught and pulled while tightening the straps on a mask hurts like a bitch.
Beard also breaks the seal between mask and skin, which is much more important.

If it comes to mask-wearing time, I'm shaving my magnificent muttonchops.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

OrangeJoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by OrangeJoe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Safety Razors FTW. I have been using them exclusively for... maybe a year and a half now.

Get the Feather Razor (think Japan Made Merkur for a fraction of the price). You should be able to get them around $7 shipped to your door. I got the basic one and a compact chromed one that breaks down and comes in a case (perfect fot the BOB). They come with a few packs of Feather blades which I have not used (I'm using some USA made blades). Bessiides, everyone knows those Feather blades will take your face clean off. :)

To the poster who said their straight razor shaves took 25 minutes, well that IS supposed to be part of the fun. I tried the safety razor thing about 10 years ago. I found the whole prep/brush enchilada a bit too much, now I'm older and appreciate the time I need, to not take a chunk of my face off.

Rising a half hour earlier is not going to kill ya. Wait a year or ten, then try again.
crypto wrote:The world has gone to shit, the undead are shambling at your doorstep, you've got a thousand pounds of beans in the basement, and you want your wife to shove a rubber thimble up her vag because you didnt stockpile tampons and pads?
Zoltan wrote:Drinking from bottles full of BPA makes me feel like a real man!

slipangle

Minor thread necro action...

Post by slipangle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Finally a subject that I can chip in on.

I just wanted to echo the earlier advice to visit either badger and blade or straightrazorplace forums. I had been interested in straight razors (SR's) for a while, but hadn't made the leap. Then that damned Sweeny Todd movie came out, and they were all over the place. So, a few years later, I decided to get into it.

Straight Razor Place is a totally completely awesome place. They have a classifieds section where you can get a shave-ready vintage razor for not a whole lot of money. Forget ebay until you have some experience with SR's.

About SR use in general:
With a bit of practice, you WILL get the best shaves possible. By best, I mean the closest, smoothest, and most irritation-free.

Additionally, it is an enjoyable experience and lends serious man-cred.

I'm a big believer in skill-building. This is one of those skills that I think it would benefit any person to have.

That list includes (but is far from limited to): Firearms safety and use, driving standard transmission vehicles, riding motorcycles, basic performance driving, mixing and pouring concrete, basic home repair and renovation, welding, speaking a language (other than your native), building a fire without matches/lighters, cooking over said fire, sewing/basic alterations, basic auto repair, basic knot tying, basic map reading and navigation, etc....

Remember, very little in this life is "rocket science". You can learn to do most anything at a functional level with a bit of research and the desire to learn. The sooner you figure that out, the happier you'll be.

All that said, in the PAW, I'll be beard trimming only unless I'm in a relatively sanitary environment. Any close shave removes a bit of skin (exfoliation), and provides the (remote) possibility of infection.
RE: Additional Gun Control:
Well I for one, cant wait for gun crime and gang violence to disappear into a cloud of unicorn farts. - NorrisUnleashed

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”