Shaving with a straight razor?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Shaving with a straight razor?

Post by crypto » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm

This is what I'd look for if I was on ebay trying to find a used razor:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're solid metal so you could buy one from a crackhead or a hooker or a heroin junkie with aids, and just sterilize it before you use it. boil/bleach/lysol, whatever floats your boat. These things are solid.

Here's a chinese copy of the non-adjustable Gillette design for a cool $20:
http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/wesara.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's all the Merkur razors, one of which I posted earlier:
http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/merku ... -html.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As an aside, the difference between non-adjustable and adjustable works like this: The blade itself is flexible, and the adjustable razors feature a threaded platform that you twist to change the incident angle of the blade. This lets it either ride very flat or cant at a more aggressive angle, for varying skin tones and beard types.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

inclinebench

Post by inclinebench » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I use a straight razor that I got from Lehman's. It takes a couple of uses to get it down, but I get a great shave with it, and I strop it every time I use it. It does the trick.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 pm

I have an uncle that owns a barber shop,and when I asked him about this years ago he told me that the best thing to do is to see about takeing a class at a barber school.They teach you all you need to know ,about not cutting your own throat.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

zombicide_x

Post by zombicide_x » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:27 pm

sferrari wrote:Straight razor use HURTS. I've had one for a few years now and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. It takes about a week to heal every time I use it. I'm sure my results have a lot to do with the fact that I have a gnarly beard. If you have high school peach fuzz it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Keeping the thing sharp is the most difficult part. It's an art. If you don't keep the thing RAZOR sharp, you will mangle your face.
If you're interested in learning to straight shave I suggest you checkout the forums at StraightRazorPlace, it's exactly like Zombie Squad, just replace "killing zombies" with "shaving with a straight razor".

Thousands of folk over there shave daily with a straight and like it because they know what they're doing. They're happy to help noobs get a close, painless shave from an open blade.

zombicide_x

Post by zombicide_x » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:33 pm

sferrari wrote:Straight razor use HURTS. I've had one for a few years now and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. It takes about a week to heal every time I use it. I'm sure my results have a lot to do with the fact that I have a gnarly beard. If you have high school peach fuzz it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Keeping the thing sharp is the most difficult part. It's an art. If you don't keep the thing RAZOR sharp, you will mangle your face.
If you're interested in learning to straight shave I suggest you checkout the forums at StraightRazorPlace, it's exactly like Zombie Squad, just replace "killing zombies" with "shaving with a straight razor".

Thousands of folk over there shave daily with a straight and like it because they know what they're doing. They're happy to help noobs get a close, painless shave from an open blade.

Sogoronin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days

Post by Sogoronin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:46 am

I've been shaving with a straight razor for the last 15 years and I'll probably never go back to the 5 blade, girly razor. I only use those replaceable blades for my Headblade. I use both a "Real" straight razor and a "barbershop" kind. The "real" razor is sharp as hell, and I am slightly afraid of it, but I've never cut myself. Not so with the "barbershop" blade. The "barbershop" blade has replaceable blades and once, while shaving in the shower, I rinsed and flicked the blade to get the soap off, and cut my thigh with it. A nice, fast bleeder that was super scary. Not too deep, but enough that It scared me. Healed up nice, very little scar, but it was enough to remind me to respect the blade. So now, I use the straight razor only on my face, and never very fast. Head gets shaved with a headblade, or trimed with an electric beard trimmer. Now when everything breaks loose, I'll probably limt my shaving, but not change out to a safety blade, Just can't bring myself back to it. I seem to cut myself more with those than anything else.
"The Darkness must be fed."- Mac
"It's better have and not need than to need and not have.
I'd rather be a Student of Reality than a Master of Fantasy.

MS in Info Sys Sec
Future Litigator for the Prosecution

RogerK

Post by RogerK » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 am

nfa wrote:When zombie roam the Earth, I plan to stop shaving once and for all...fuck my ugly 4-color beard, and anyone who mocks me!!!

Jamie
Then, I shall welcome you to the club (facial hair brown, red blonde and (gasp!!!) grey), and I shave (okay trim with scissors) once every eight weeks, whether I need it or not :lol:
Thomas Gallowglass wrote:Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:53 am

I also suggest the double edge safety razor. I shave with a Gillete Fatboy adjustable from 1961 (IIRC) which cost me all of $4 or $5 on eBay. There's a lot of variance in blades, and it takes some time to learn how to do it properly.

Check out: Shave My Face and Badger and Blade to get started.

Also, as far as the shaving balloons, I could swear that the guy who cuts my hair (who's been cutting hair for 30 years) told me they never really actually practiced shaving on a balloon.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

HBEnfield

Post by HBEnfield » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 am

A year or so ago I tried a straight razor for about 3 months. I never got the hang of it and gave up. It was also taking me an insane amount of time to shave, like 20 minutes of actual shaving and 5 minutes of prep a day, so I went back to disposable razors.

zombicide_x

Post by zombicide_x » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:28 pm

SweetTea wrote:How hard is it to sharpen a straight razor? I know I'll need a strop with one side impregnated with abrasive, but how much finesse is there to the technique? It looks like you just rub it, is it harder than it looks?
Learning to shave with, hone and strop a straight razor is extraordinarily difficult without help and instruction from the learned.

Check out the "Newbie's Corner" at The Straight Razor Place.

The Art of the Straight Razor Shave is an excellent beginner's guide.

Mangangali

Post by Mangangali » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 pm

there is a definite learning curve when it comes to straight razors. But once you got it, you won't want to switch back.

Unfortunately its a stone bitch to try to dry shave with one (which I do with any disposable razor).

for those growing out hair and beards, its just another handhold for zack to latch on to. :)
I am Murphy's favored son.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Sogoronin wrote:once, while shaving in the shower, I rinsed and flicked the blade to get the soap off, and cut my thigh with it.
Dude, a straight razor in the shower? I thought I laughed at danger, but using a cutthroat blade while nekkid? You got (or at least, you *had*) some stones.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

American Rage

Post by American Rage » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 pm

If there is ever a zombie outbreak, I plan on growing a beard.

Rage

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 pm

When I went to Canada on vacation a few weeks ago I decided not to shave till I got back. Then I decided to wait until college started back up, now I'm concidering a viking themed Halloween costume...

However, my dad inherited a straight razor from his grandfather. I plan on asking him where that baby is later this week :o
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 am

MosinMe wrote:When I went to Canada on vacation a few weeks ago I decided not to shave till I got back. Then I decided to wait until college started back up, now I'm concidering a viking themed Halloween costume...
I'm assuming you have no significant other? Or he/she is blind?
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:51 am

Rush2112 wrote:
MosinMe wrote:When I went to Canada on vacation a few weeks ago I decided not to shave till I got back. Then I decided to wait until college started back up, now I'm concidering a viking themed Halloween costume...
(UPDATE)

I do, and I was forced to shave 2 days ago. :cry:
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:50 pm

MosinMe wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
(UPDATE)

I do, and I was forced to shave 2 days ago. :cry:
Pwnt.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Benbrutal

Post by Benbrutal » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:10 pm

I used to shave with a straight razor, before the "incident". Had shaved for a year or so, no problems, but i guess i needed to have that puppy honed. Hit a bump and hey presto! i have a flap of my face hanging down. Never actually hurt until i washed off the shaving creme and bits of hair, but i pressed it back into place and applied pressure and the bleeding stopped. i ran a bead of superglue around the cut and it healed fine, can barely see a scar except when i get a dark tan. That was the end of my straight razor days. It ain't much of a face, but i prefer to have all the parts in place, thank you.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

vash55

Post by vash55 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 pm

i dont have a good one but i want one. i purchased one with a back spring making it like a pocket knife but it dosnt hold the perfect edge i keep it as like an emergency scalpel.

shaving with one can give a great shave but you need the right technique something i dont think i have.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 pm

The first time I shaved with a straight razor was terrifying. I got over it.

Don't try it hungover.

It's a lot easier to shave someone else with a straight razor. The lady friend, for example. You know you've got a good'un if she'll let you do that. :twisted:
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

i am not infected
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, diary of the dead

Post by i am not infected » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:27 pm

Would a beard (or growing one) hold back your smell even the slightest bit? If it does, I'd forget about shaving.

If I did need to shave though, I'd do it with a knife... like a hunting knife...
-Stranded Survivors
Los Angeles, CA Zombie Outbreak
http://www.iamnotinfected.com

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:25 am

Hell no, I don't want to give myself a Colombian neck tie. I'm fine with my electric Braun shaver. I have an old one that's been in my family for over 9000 years, but I think it's too dull to shave anything.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:46 am

I stood drooling over a really nice straight razor with an ebony handle at a flea market this morning. I had no clue on how to learn using it... maybe I should have bought it.

Regarding beards, I know quite well how fast my beard grows, and plan on using it to keep a little track of time WTSHTF...
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 am

When the PAW comes I'm going to grow a beard. Shaving is such a chore and eats away at my valuable sleeping time.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”