Shaving with a straight razor?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Grey dog
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hmm,...all movies turn you into a zombie, don't they?

Re: Shaving with a straight razor?

Post by Grey dog » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:40 pm

I used a straight razor for a bit. Stropping it to keep it sharp wasn't that difficult. I just used a piece of plain leather. Also used a Gerber skinning knife a few times(If you want to play tough, dry shave with a skinning knife). In general, I hate shaving, and always have. I now use cheap disposable razors (the girl ones dont give razor burn as bad), once or twice a week, around the edges of the beard and on my neck. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I cant tell that much difference between the cheap disposables, and the more expensive ones. I use them until they start getting grabby on the hair, maybe a couple months on each one. I can't remember how long it's been since I bought the last bulk pack of cheapies. A can of gillette shaving slickem lasts a long time also. Maybe a couple cans a year. I don't intend to go back to a straight razor. A couple years supplies would cost maybe $20 for me. If conditions ever become such that I can't get the regular supplies, I reckon I'll just trim up with scissors.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 am

Spam spammity spam spam spam.

razi

Post by razi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:58 am

Sadly, my depth perception isn't good enough that I trust myself with one of these. Maybe one day...

piratetech
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (original)

Post by piratetech » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:26 pm

shaving! ha!
I wanna stand between Necro and USMC for the ultimate "blow" job... wait... that came out wrong... :lol: -Grand94Jeep

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:27 am

razi wrote:Sadly, my depth perception isn't good enough that I trust myself with one of these. Maybe one day...
Yeah, the guy at MEPS said my depth perception sucks, so this idea might be getting tabled.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

Saltcreek

Post by Saltcreek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I tried using a straight razor, but what with needing a strop, razor hone and all that, I thought why bother. Instead I went back to a double edge Gillette razor. I can get 10 new blades for $1.50 and bought a stock to last until I'm dead. No more sharpening and no worry about damaging the straight razor edge by dropping it, and no stone and strop to pack.

sferrari
Favorite Zombie Movies: Adam Curtis documentaries

Post by sferrari » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:11 am

If one became proficient at using a straight razor they might even be able to use shaves as a barter commodity. "Hey buddy, you have both an abundance of beer, and facial hair. I'll trade you a shave for a couple brews." You know...
I don't care how it was done in California.

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
- Robert Heinlein

iMack

Post by iMack » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:45 am

nfa wrote:When zombie roam the Earth, I plan to stop shaving once and for all...fuck my ugly 4-color beard, and anyone who mocks me!!!

Jamie
ROFL, I'm sure my beard will be the last thing I'll worry about if TSHTF.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”