Quarry Ponds

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

derajer

Quarry Ponds

Post by derajer » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

The virtue of ponds as a source of food, especially fish, has been discussed at length here on the forums. Some discussion of pond management has also taken place, but perhaps not as much as should be discussed. I have some questions about quarry ponds, my uncle has a quarry pond that is probably about 75 feet deep and has excellent bluegill and overcrowded bass. I have been trying to figure out how to deal with the bass problem, but I am also curious as to general information about quarry/very deep ponds and any unique challenges or oppurtunities with them.

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject or know of a good resource? So far most DNR or university pages just cover pond basics and bluegill and bass management.
Check out the Zombie Squad Wiki especially the Bug-out Bag Article

AwPhuch

Re: Quarry Ponds

Post by AwPhuch » Thu May 29, 2008 6:18 pm

Pics or it didn't happen!

:mrgreen:
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm

I will come and alleviate you of your bass problem.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu May 29, 2008 6:43 pm

What type of quarry was it originally? How long has it been in disuse? Has it been researched by a dive team? If it has, can you obtain their research or interview any of the divers? Have you tested the water quality? Where is the water table in your area? Is the water in the quarry only rainwater, or is it part of an aquifer? Do you grow crops or have a garden within a reasonable distance if you want to pump the water? If it is some distance from the main house, or off the beaten path, how handy are you with a hammer and saw, and will your uncle let you build a small cabin?

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:08 am

In all honesty, start catching and eating several bass when you go fishing. If you do this a few times a month, over the course of a year you might start seeing an increase in your bluegill and bass sizes.

Aside from seining (not viable for such deep water) or poisoning your entire lake, there's not much you can do to 'deal' with the problem.

brer

Post by brer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:45 am

Gunny has the right idea.

We had a pond that had way too many bass. We called them pirana bass considering how fast they would strike. The problem was they were all about 7 inches or less.

Just keep fishing them out to reduce the population and the remaining fish will grow to be much larger.
A nation of sheep begats a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

RebelKangaroo

Post by RebelKangaroo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:25 pm

To echo what suntzu said ( :lol: ) see if you can find out any information on the quarry. If it has fish living in it the water shouldn't be poisonous but it's better to be safe then sorry.

killzombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Diary, Dawn and Night!

Post by killzombies » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:59 pm

fishing gets boring...that's why someone invented the .22lr
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:34 am

This is an oldie that I missed.

+1 to having divers check it. They might find a few hundred barrels of DDT or nuclear waste at the bottom. Or maybe a bunch of dumped stolen cars leaking benzene. At least have the water tested.
Mostly not here anymore.

razi

Post by razi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:32 am

might want to find out what the quarry was initially for, while you're at it. Limestone is ok, but a lead mine is a different story.

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:33 pm

When I was a Kid, We used to swim in a (Granite) Quarry Pond almost every day during the Summer.
No ill effects I've ever heard about.
The fish tasted fine too.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

sgx_d
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by sgx_d » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:23 am

I'd like to add, if it's a granite quarry you probably have good visibility even up to 60 feet down. But really it always varies. At least the ones I dove were always pretty clear(yet cold)

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:30 am

Dynamite fishing should get a few of those fish out fast.

Get a boat, a six pack, a net and some explosives and have at it.

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:15 am

test the water, if everything is ok, charge people to fish there and recover the costs of the tests.
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Beanhead wrote:test the water, if everything is ok, charge people to fish there and recover the costs of the tests.
I guy near me did that. It was like a monthly fee to fish there whenever you wanted. Pretty nice plan he had.
Just keep livin

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:10 am

If this is on private property, regular fishing rules may or may not apply.

Would it be possible to get a big net and dip some of the excess fish out?

naegling62

Post by naegling62 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Too many Bass..........Snakeheads! :lol: Anyway , I have found that in the ponds I have with heavy Green Sunfish populations I can not get Bass started.
Trioxin wrote:If that means I need a tinfoil hat, then dammit it, hand me my silver sombrero.
Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

derajer

Post by derajer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:27 am

Nothing like a little thread necro... Anyway, the pond is a gravel quarry and it is extremely clear. I think it was dug back in the 70s and to my knowledge it has never been checked by divers. I wouldn't have a clue if it is rain only or aquifer. The water is extremely clear though, it's actually quite amusing to see so many bass just staring at you expectantly. I don't know if they expect to be fed or are just welcoming an end to the miserable skinny lives.
Check out the Zombie Squad Wiki especially the Bug-out Bag Article

Habu

Post by Habu » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Have you considered planting turtles there? A few good-sized snappers could cut down on the fish population, while giving you another protein source.

DRoCk

Post by DRoCk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:11 am

I've been to a few quarries and they tend to be deep...really deep in some cases. If its as deep as you say, I would bet its into ground water and not just rain filled. As far as keeping the bass population down, I would think that you could introduce some Northern Pike into the quarry and that would help cut down the bass.

Edit: I just noticed you are from Iowa, as that was my home state and all the quarries I have fished are in Iowa, I would be 99% certain that you are into the water table at that depth. All I've been in were in the 40ft range and definately not rain filled (not completely at least).

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 pm

The eco system must be somewhat stabilized for both species to exist. One would think that the bass would use the sunfish as food.
We have old marble quarries all over here and most are fed from under ground springs. There is one called Salingos quarry that reaches back under the main road almost 150 feet.The open part of the quarry is 250x100 and I was told over 100 ft deeep. They have brought up old cars and the likes. I diver there told me he seen a sunfish down there that had to be at least 2ft in diameter. I have seen the underwater photos of the old log beams that helped to support or at least used to carry the wiring for the lights that remain there frozen in time. It is a series of rooms and tunnels. There is a quarry in Florence,VT we used to fish when we were kids that contained 18" perch. nothing out of there less than a foot. So I wonder what is in the quarry depends on what someone placed there in the past.
I know that most of the water from the marble gives the water a aweful smell (hard water) but will go away if you make lemonade or icetea with the water though.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”