Guerilla Gardens

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: Guerilla Gardens

Post by Chef » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27 am

Chayotes are awesome.

I like to mix them with carrot, yellow squash, zucchini, bell pepper and onion, all coarsely chopped. Dress the with lemon juice, garlic oil, and some salt and pepper and grill them in a basket. Incredibly good.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Deb in Texas

Post by Deb in Texas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:50 am

Hmmmm... potatoes.....

Potato Vodka, anyone?? :D

Seriously.. anyone with a recipe for potato vodka?? Great way to use any excess not needed for food.

:lol: :D :lol:

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Deb in Texas wrote:Hmmmm... potatoes.....

Potato Vodka, anyone?? :D

Seriously.. anyone with a recipe for potato vodka?? Great way to use any excess not needed for food.

:lol: :D :lol:
Sadly, vodka is illegal to make without expensive permits in most industrialized countries, including the US. So recipes and tips probably won't be shared on this board.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

potato vodka is made from potato wine.
it is the distilling that gets you in trouble,
I have a recipe from the book Making Wild Wines and Meads for the potato wine.
I can post it when I get home if you really want it.
just don't distill it and you are legal in the USA,
if you are somewhere that you can distill it, then just proceed to the next step where I have to stop.
the book is only $12 and is really good.

edited mostly to fix the web link
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:11 am

I have that book! I should look through it again. I found a good basic formula for making any flavor of mead and never opened it after that.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

phast12

Post by phast12 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Not trying to flame but, I would be very careful of going onto other peoples land (especially at night). In my area this is likely to get you arrested, chased down by dogs or even possibly shot. One thing people around here do not take kindly to are trespassers. Most of them would have no issues to let someone use part of their land for a small garden or even a large garden if they are letting the field fallow for a year, or just aren't using it at that time if asked. This all changes once you come onto the land uninvited.

This is all an assumption that you are on someone else's property and not doing it in a public park or something like that. I have no idea how the rangers would handle that type of situation.

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:08 pm

the people I know that do it use public land that has been abandon, the space between roads and such.
they usually carefully figure out who owns the land before trying anything.
seeds may be cheep, but they are not that cheep, so things are looked into before starting something.
but I would never do something like that as I am to paranoid about getting in trouble with anyone.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”