Find a farmer for your squad

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Insane_Irish

Find a farmer for your squad

Post by Insane_Irish » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:26 pm

I was considering what a community of 100 people would do in a PAW situation for food. Within one year they would have exausted all there non-perishable food stocks and stores with 50km. If they were in a rural area they would be in real trouble sooner than that.

If there is a large amount of farmland close by, raid it. I am a farmer, and when I leave a field alone, whatever crop was planted there the year before will still be present for years to come. Huge amounts of produce will be spoiling on the vine, ripe for the taking (sorry).

Regardless of how many book you have on the topic, the experience of a real farmer would be as valuble as having a medical doctor on hand. When I started farming, I read plenty of books, my crops were still giving terrible yeild. I had to drive out and find an experienced farmer and pay for his council.

Slightly off topic, however there are farms perfect for PAW situations. They are cocaine farms, huge walls, barb wire, ATV's, dirt bikes, armoury, food stores, iraggated land, and they have never been through crop rotation. That means that the soil is rich in some nutrients and poor in others, meaning if you find the right crops (simple test with referance chart) they will grow tall and thick. Sadly, these plantation will likey be active even in a PAW, afterall who wants to give up a fortress. Cheers.
"If I risk my neck for you, will I get a chance to kill englishmen...Excellent, Steven is my name" -Mad King Stepfen from Braveheart

Dan D. Doty
Favorite Zombie Movies: Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things.

Post by Dan D. Doty » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:14 pm

II, Missouri isn't well known for its coke farms, but we do have winerys.
Herman, Mo has quite a number of them.
Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and wits intact.

I have looked into the eyes of monsters, come face to face with an E.B.E, and learned of the future from someone who's been there.

Most only see the world in what they believe and disbelieve.
Rather we should see things as facts and possiblies.

Raccoon City Survivor

Post by Raccoon City Survivor » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:32 pm

You're one stupid fucktard if you can't grow greens.

Icepick

Post by Icepick » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:45 pm

Hey I'm a farmer! That means I'm useful! Yay!

Andy@SHTF.info

Re: Find a farmer for your squad

Post by Andy@SHTF.info » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:20 pm

Insane_Irish wrote:If there is a large amount of farmland close by, raid it.
Here we go again...raid? WTF !?! Either be self-supporting without violating others rights, or realize that you are stealing. If you can not manage to feed yourself without stealing, you do not deserve to eat.
Insane_Irish wrote:I am a farmer, and when I leave a field alone, whatever crop was planted there the year before will still be present for years to come. Huge amounts of produce will be spoiling on the vine, ripe for the taking
Nope...Those crops will not grow year after year - they will be overtaken by wold plants shortly.

Andy Out!

Iron

Post by Iron » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:25 pm

While any fields left abandoned would have other plants in them, I seriously doubt that wild plants would kill off every plant in a a field. I've got a tomato plant that's been breeding back to wild in my back yard for the last 6 years. We never use 'em all so there's always some left to reseed for next year. These plants recieve no care whatsoever. We've have had to occasionally cut them back so they don't take over the whole yard but other than that they're on they're own.
CANNIBALS. Ever see a slime drive a car? These vermin fit the bill.
Poorly armed and led, they are easily dispatched.

Andy@SHTF.info

Post by Andy@SHTF.info » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:24 pm

The reason that 90% of the commerical crops will die out is that they are hybrids. This gives them more diease resistance, more bug resistance, more drought resistance, etc. BUT it also means they are infertile.

Andy Out!

Iron

Post by Iron » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:23 am

Not all hybrids are infertile, however you will see their ancestory start cropping back up. The big problem with hybrids is they don't "breed true" meaning when you start raising second and third generation plants, you start seeing other varients. There has been a big push for "designer crops" that I've read about that would mean hybrids that are incapable of breeding a new generation.

here's a link that talks about it
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envir ... 91pr4.html
CANNIBALS. Ever see a slime drive a car? These vermin fit the bill.
Poorly armed and led, they are easily dispatched.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”