Lifestyle Changes for Health

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Re: Lifestyle Changes for Health

Post by Lambykins » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am

And right now I have a raging need for carbs.
I want ALL the carbs.
ALL.OF.THEM.
:gonk:
(me screaming into the carb abyss)

These cravings are painful.
Gonna try to have something that has a few carbs...maybe a piece of toast with my scrambled egg.
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 am

Lambykins wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am
I want ALL the carbs.
ALL.OF.THEM.

Gonna try to have something that has a few carbs...maybe a piece of toast with my scrambled egg.
Dont do it. Go get some pork rinds or something instead. Carbs are like crack...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:40 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 am
Lambykins wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am
I want ALL the carbs.
ALL.OF.THEM.

Dont do it. Go get some pork rinds or something instead. Carbs are like crack...
Pork rinds sound good!
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 pm

fuk... :(

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 pm

It's not a catastrophe if you grab some carbs. You're not in an all or nothing situation. Are you maintaining a strong trend towards improvement? That trend is what matters.

I hope you resisted those carbs just for your own sense of accomplishment. But if you didn't, you've still been making incredible improvements and you can still contine to make more improvements!
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:16 pm

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm

I grabbed some of my jerky *chew* and that helped stave off my cravings.
Unfortunately, I made a rather rich dinner for myself and roommate.
It was damn delicious, but boy, am I am paying for it now!
Dinner in question: Baked ham steak with cherry sauce and green bean casserole (no, not the one with gloppy mushroom soup. I make mine with a bit of brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic pepper and bacon. Is yummy)
But...since I have been eating a pretty lean diet, this rich dinner is kicking my ass. Totally running through me...not good.
My roommate is not suffering the same ill effects I am and was quite delighted with the meal.
She saved the leftovers for her lunch tomorrow.

I think I will stick to salads tomorrow. :roll:
My next *out of diet* meal will be Thanksgiving. Not giving up my turkey. I may pass on making stuffing, but dammit I WILL HAVE MY TURKEY!
And mashed potatoes!

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:40 am

Being 52, maintaining my weight is becoming more and more tricky. But being both a chemist and an herbalist, researching the issue led me to this great paper published in The Journal for Nurse Practitioners "Using Herbal Remedies to Maintain Optimal Weight"
http://europepmc.org/article/PMC/2927017

It reviews the scientific studies on assorted herbs for weight loss and it has made a HUGE difference in my battle. From the article:
"Herbs are used as spices, supplements, foods, and teas to assist in weight control. Spices used in cooking (ginger, cayenne, and fennel) augment digestion, stimulate salivation and gastric secretions, and are antispasmodic. Bitter herbs (chamomile, gentian, or dandelion root) taken as liquids or teas prior to eating stimulate gastric secretions and promote fat and cholesterol breakdown. Herbs added as food increase fiber and expand dietary plant base. Dried nettle leaf (a nutritive) can be added to spaghetti sauce, sprouted fenugreek (modifies blood sugar), and dandelion leaf (balanced diuretic) to salads."

The full article is available for free in the link above. Better tasting foods and improved health. Winner!
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Blast wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:40 am
Being 52, maintaining my weight is becoming more and more tricky. But being both a chemist and an herbalist, researching the issue led me to this great paper published in The Journal for Nurse Practitioners "Using Herbal Remedies to Maintain Optimal Weight"
http://europepmc.org/article/PMC/2927017

It reviews the scientific studies on assorted herbs for weight loss and it has made a HUGE difference in my battle. From the article:
"Herbs are used as spices, supplements, foods, and teas to assist in weight control. Spices used in cooking (ginger, cayenne, and fennel) augment digestion, stimulate salivation and gastric secretions, and are antispasmodic. Bitter herbs (chamomile, gentian, or dandelion root) taken as liquids or teas prior to eating stimulate gastric secretions and promote fat and cholesterol breakdown. Herbs added as food increase fiber and expand dietary plant base. Dried nettle leaf (a nutritive) can be added to spaghetti sauce, sprouted fenugreek (modifies blood sugar), and dandelion leaf (balanced diuretic) to salads."

The full article is available for free in the link above. Better tasting foods and improved health. Winner!
-Blast
Thanks for that!
I had forgotten that fenugreek helps with blood sugar.
Already starting to get into sprouting.

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Well, my blood sugar is still raging out of control.
Dammit.
I have been following a basically vegetarian diet. I ate maybe a 1/2 lb to 1 lb of meat a month.
I was not losing weight. My blood sugar and blood pressure still going wild.
So, this morning. I switched to keto.
I will spare you the grocery shopping trip from this morning...but it was expensive. :shock:

So, going forward, I am going to try this.
If after 2 weeks on this I am still not losing any weight and my blood sugar is still crazy, I don't know what I'll do!

CG

Post by CG » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:09 pm
Dammit.
I have been following a basically vegetarian diet. I ate maybe a 1/2 lb to 1 lb of meat a month.
I will spare you the grocery shopping trip from this morning...but it was expensive. :shock:

If after 2 weeks on this I am still not losing any weight and my blood sugar is still crazy, I don't know what I'll do!
Mine went down to non-pre-diabetic fasting numbers after a week or 2 (it was running around 110-119, and the last time I checked it was 94). Good luck!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:08 pm

CG wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:56 pm
Lambykins wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:09 pm
Dammit.

Mine went down to non-pre-diabetic fasting numbers after a week or 2 (it was running around 110-119, and the last time I checked it was 94). Good luck!
IF I could get mine to 110-119 I would consider that a success!
Mine is running 194 to 224!

Albert

Post by Albert » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:36 pm

I am not a doctor, so don't take anything I say as medical advice. Talk to a real doctor and/or dietician.

Now, having said that, I'm also either a Type-2, or, more likely, a Type 1.5 Diabetic (Type 1.5 is adult onset, sort of like Type-2, but it gradually gets worse. It's thought to be the body killing off the Islets of Langerhans in the Pancreas, over time, resulting in less Insulin being produced, as you age. Research it.).

Beware of fats. I've found fats do nasty things to my blood-glucose, almost as bad as eating sugar. No one seems to know why, though. But, do some experimentation on yourself, and see if you can correlate fat intake with blood-glucose control. And, yeah, that sucks.

One problem that a lot of Diabetics have is that their liver tends to convert the excess glucose into cholesterol. Make sure your doctor checks your cholesterol periodically. Excess cholesterol can result in clogged arteries, and that can put a strain on your heart. Since Diabetics already have a 2.5 times increase in the likelihood of a heart attack, you need to do everything you can to take care of your heart.

As for a balanced diet, don't concentrate strictly on proteins, to the exclusion of carbohydrates. Doing so can put an increased load on your kidneys, which Diabetics already have problems with. Make sure your doctor checks your kidney function periodically. Lisinopril is usually prescribed to protect the kidneys of a Diabetic. Talk to your doctor.

Exercise can assist in weight loss. Even something as simple as walking a bit can get your metabolism increased. Besides, once the zombies arrive, you'll need to be able to outrun them. :-)

CG

Post by CG » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 am

Lamby, you are eating a proper keto diet, not just a "Meat good" diet, right?

The one I follow is 7g or less total carbs per meal (they don't count sugar alcohols, but do count fiber still), made up mostly of veg, at least 20g of protein, and more fat than protein.

You can get a 30-day trial subscription to Diet Doctor (https://www.dietdoctor.com) for free, and they've got a ton of good resources.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:01 pm

I am eating some carbs...judiciously...
But I have now lost 10 pounds in two weeks.
My blood sugar has dropped a good 30 points (on average).
I am getting into the *rhythm* of Keto meals.
My go to for snacks is either fresh fruit (berries) or pork rinds.
I still have a soda every day as I am a Dr Pepper addict and having a bitch of a time quitting..and no, I will NOT drink any of those VILE diet drinks. I am trying monkfruit to see if I can deal with that in my morning tea.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:01 pm
I still have a soda every day as I am a Dr Pepper addict and having a bitch of a time quitting..and no, I will NOT drink any of those VILE diet drinks. I am trying monkfruit to see if I can deal with that in my morning tea.
:awesome: :clap: good stuff!! Congrats

"Moderation in all things, including moderation"

Have you tried baby carrots and hummus for a snack? Celery and peanut butter? :mrgreen:
Tony D Tiger

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:48 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm
Lambykins wrote:

Have you tried baby carrots and hummus for a snack? Celery and peanut butter? :mrgreen:
I wear dentures, so baby carrots are a no go at the moment.
I can handle celery and that with hummus or peanut butter is good!
Tonights dinner is steak and broccoli. Raspberries for dessert.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:48 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm
Lambykins wrote:

I wear dentures, so baby carrots are a no go at the moment.
I can handle celery and that with hummus or peanut butter is good!
Tonights dinner is steak and broccoli. Raspberries for dessert.
Congratulations Lamby! This thread had inspired me to make some small changes. I am still relatively young and not (completely) fat yet but I can see it encroaching on me. Keep up the good work!

CG

Post by CG » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Yay!

I drink the Dr. Zevia. Definitely not the same flavor, but no aspartame or other evil sweeteners.

Hubby detests stevia and uses the SweetLeaf flavored monk fruit drops in his coffee. The almond is really good (to the point that I add it to chocolate keto ice cream for bonus flavor).
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:20 pm

The one thing is, since being on keto, I find I get full a LOT faster.
Tonight I had very little steak, a nice serving of broccoli and a handful of raspberries. A glass of milk to wash it down.
That's all I needed and I was full.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”