Bigger gas stove burners?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Bigger gas stove burners?

Post by moab » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 pm

I have a cheap gas stove. And I want to be able to cook on my 15 inch cast iron skillet. But the burner is so small it only heats up the center of the skillet. Is there anyway to widen a burner? Drill out the holes? Replace it with a fitting that spreads out the flame more? Any ideas?

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Bigger gas stove burners?

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:33 am

Unfortunately, I think replacing the stove is your best option. If you can find an actual appliance store that does service on gas stoves you might ask them, but I think a new stove would be the only way.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 am

Getting a proper larger burner like NT2C suggested is probably the "correct" solution.

If you were inclined to DIY something however, I think your main goal is to make the flame pattern wider, which is simply accomplished by spreading the holes out further and increasing the gas flow. You could try to find a COTS burner head for a different appliance and cobble that onto your existing stove, or maybe make something similar.

The only major caution that I'd add would be against drilling out the holes to make them larger. The holes are likely sized to be appropriate to the flame quenching diameter for the gas mixture the stove was designed for (e.g. natural gas/air, propane/air), and making them larger could potentially lead to a flashback condition which would be undesirable. Any DIY burner head that you create should at least use the size of the holes from an existing burner as a rough guide as to how large they should be, a little smaller to be on the safe side.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:49 pm

So if I have say 3" burner heads. 4" burner heads won't fit?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:46 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:49 pm
So if I have say 3" burner heads. 4" burner heads won't fit?
Not unless you change the manifold feeding it also. You'll also have to be very cautious about using the other burners at the same time, lest overall gas pressure drop low enough to cause flashback.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”