Power Soil Screen

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Power Soil Screen

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Anyone have any experience building or know of a manufactured small time power screener. I looked at a few online but they are massive and expensive (like 30k for a small one). I'm not opposed to building one but I haven't really seen any that look like they would work for me.

The problem is I have some huge rocks, like up to 3-4 person rocks. and I have lots of smaller ones. What would be ideal is a screener with grizzly bars that sort the big rocks one direction, a screen deck that sorts the smaller stuff under fist size another, and then underneath where the screened dirt is. I've never seen so such rocky ground ever. I cant dig a backhoe bucket out without getting at least 2-3 two fist sized stones out.

I'll probably have to end up building something eventually. But even then I'm not sure how to do it other then having a rather tall machine that I dig into the hill side and have it placed there and I feed from above. or build myself a hopper and feed the hopper. Either way some direction would be wonderful.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Re: Power Soil Screen

Post by EBuff75 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 pm

If you look up DIY rock separator, rock grizzly, rotary screen separator, trommel screen, etc. you'll find all sorts of designs. Simple ones are just like a big colander which lets dirt through and screens out bigger stuff. If you want to separate them by sizes, then you have to think of it like a coin sorter - the smallest openings are first (for the dirt), then they get progressively larger as the mixture descends.

A quick Google search found designs which are made using barrels, slides/troughs, or angled frames. The simplest ones are just an angled wood frame with chicken wire over it. Slowly dump the mixture onto the top of the separator. The chicken wire keeps the rocks from falling through, so that they roll down to the bottom, while the dirt (and any rocks which are small enough to fit through the openings in the chicken wire) fall through and piles up underneath.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Power Soil Screen

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:56 pm

EBuff75 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 pm
If you look up DIY rock separator, rock grizzly, rotary screen separator, trommel screen, etc. you'll find all sorts of designs. Simple ones are just like a big colander which lets dirt through and screens out bigger stuff. If you want to separate them by sizes, then you have to think of it like a coin sorter - the smallest openings are first (for the dirt), then they get progressively larger as the mixture descends.

A quick Google search found designs which are made using barrels, slides/troughs, or angled frames. The simplest ones are just an angled wood frame with chicken wire over it. Slowly dump the mixture onto the top of the separator. The chicken wire keeps the rocks from falling through, so that they roll down to the bottom, while the dirt (and any rocks which are small enough to fit through the openings in the chicken wire) fall through and piles up underneath.
Thanks! I once I searched with different names I found a lot more information. I keep trying to DIY power screener and wasn't getting much at all.... So thanks again that helped a lot!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”