BOB GRADE

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RunNhyd18
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Deadsnow

BOB GRADE

Post by RunNhyd18 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 am

Looking for an honest opinion on how good my first BOB is. I live in FL (Former Navy combat search and rescue swimmer), and have many hours in the wilderness and swamp. Everyone is different, but what is your thoughts. My bag weighs 37.3LBS (without the optional gear).

INVENTORY
EXTERNAL
BOB
RAIN (TRENCH) COAT
KUKRI
FIXED BLADE KNIFE

MAIN 1
TARP (6’ X 8’)
PONCHO
STEEL WOOL (GRADE #0000)
LOCK PICK SET
BANDANAS X4
TRAMA KIT
PARACORD, 50’ HEAVY DUTY
SHARPENING STONE, LRG
EMERGENCY RATION
ELECTROLYTE DRINK MIX X10
SPICES (SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC SALT,
CAYENNE, CURRY, PAPRIKA)
KARAMBIT
SLINGSHOT

MAIN 2
METAL CAN
BIC LIGHTER X2
WATER BLADDER
FIRE STARTER
TENDER
BATTERIES, AAA X8
WATER PURIFICATION TABS
WATER PROOF MATCHES
DRI PACK
FISHING KIT

CORDAGE, THIN NYLON (1000’)
CHEM LIGHT X3
SPORK
FLASHIGHT
GLOVES
HAND SAW X3
MULTI TOOL
TOWELLET TABS

FRONT LOWER
FIRE ROD, 5”
DEFENSE SPIKE
WIPE TABS X17
BOW QUICK RELEASE (EXTRA)

FRONT UPPER
WATERPROOF NOTEPAD
CARPENTER PENCIL
COMPASS
INSECT REPELLENT

OPTIONAL
SHOTGUN, 12GA PUMP
12GA ROUNDS X25
PISTOL, 9MM
EXTRA MAG X3
9MM ROUNDS X300
BOW, TAKEDOWN
ARROWS X15
QUIVER
This is a Hi Point 9mm, cheapest handgun known to man. Maybe it will fire, maybe it won't. So, you gotta ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

flybynight

Re: BOB GRADE

Post by flybynight » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:34 am

What are you using to cook your food in? Boil water?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:58 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:34 am
What are you using to cook your food in? Boil water?
I wonder if he is using the metal can?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm

For wilderness survival, this looks great. I might quibble on a few things, but it looks solid to me.

I see no communications gear. And as a thought, what is your plan when bugging out from a hurricane? Do you plan to head to the swamp or to a friend's couch or a hotel?

For wilderness survival, I don't see a blanket, hammock, sleeping pad, or mosquito net. I would like those. But you may not need those.

I do not see much medication. I personally like basic pain and feavor meds.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm

I think you're mixing a BOB with an INCH.

why a sharpening stone? spices? you've got a fixed blade, a kakuri, karambit, and a defense spike? 1000' of thin cordage along with your heavy duty 550? Not sure what kind of hand saw but x3? if you have a take down bow in there, why would you be carrying a quick release, should just use your fingers to pull.

In your optional I'd carry the pistol, forget the shotgun extra weight. If you want a back up perhaps a pocket carry CCW. And why would you be carrying a quick release but your take down is an option.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RunNhyd18
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Deadsnow

Post by RunNhyd18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:44 am

Love the input guys. The metal can is steel with a lid. That is my boil water (also keeping things dry for now). Going to put a slightly larger, more durable camping pot in soon. As for the quick release and the spike. I started with VERY limited money, and had to add to the bag, somethings just never came out. Some stuff is in there, because I don't know how long I would need to live off of it. This is great input. The thin cord is more for trapping animals for food. My 72 hour bag, has some never coming home features. Karambit and spike are gone now. The Pistol is going, no matter what. The 12 gauge sure would be nice to have. All depends if I have a vehicle or not.
This is a Hi Point 9mm, cheapest handgun known to man. Maybe it will fire, maybe it won't. So, you gotta ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Just curious, do you have a plan for that sort of "intermediate" disaster? For example, do you plan to run into the jungle if a hurricane comes along?

reyes
BANNED

Post by reyes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:05 am

you're carrying way too much weight and a lot of it is pointless, like the shotgun, 300 rds of 9mm? for what? FOUR bandannas? for what? defense spike, when you've got a kukri and belt knife? why? Ditch the kukri the saw and the belt knife, in favor of a Cold Steel shovel, leatherman Crunch multitool, and some saw blades, which you can hold in the visegrip of the crunch. You'd be much better off with a silenced Marlin Papoose take down .22lr autorifle than with the shotgun. Noise will get you killed and makes for inefficient hunting. You can save at least 10 lbs off of this kit. It's way too heavy and inefficient. Chopping is noisy, dangerous and inefficient, especially in the dark, or when you're sick or hurt. The Cold steel shovel can be sharpened on one side with a convex grind, for chopping, while the other side is ground for slicing. If you need to fire a pistol 2 mag's worth, total, for shtf, it's going to mean you die soon afterward. When everyone else has longarms, you'd better keep a rifle on the assault sling or in your hand.

You dont want to have to boil water during a bugout (or have a fire at ALL) so carry water treatment chemicals and a sawyer mini-filter. The sawyer bag can be your "bladder". Carry a hard canteen and cup. Carry food that you dont have to cook. A metal can wont last more than about 3 woodfire cooking attempts, before hit has cracks or a hole form in its bottom. Carry "non-cook" food, like instant oatmeal, Tang, PB, jerky, pemmican, gorp. You'll have to have caches to last more than w week, so a couple of real cookpots, 1 gallon for food, 2 gallon pot for boiling water, can be part of a cache at your BOL, along with lots of tools, food, etc.(not buried together) You dont want to lose your food to metal detectors, nor your tools to a dog digging at your food, revealing it to people.

12 ga shells are 10 to the lb. .22lr is 135 rds to the lb. The shotgun is 7 lbs, the Papoose is 4 lbs. Birdshot is pretty worthless for big game or defense. Buck and slugs are pretty worthless vs small game. So how many rds of each, hmm? 20? would you settle for only 20 rds with rifle? A shotgun is pretty much worthless with shot, beyond 35m, even with a choke or special barrel, and slugs are expensive, so little practice is done

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 pm

You kind of need a plan first. And then gear for it second.

So say if I hear zombies coming in through the front door. and I had to grab my bag and jump out the window. How do I get the first hundred meters?

And so clothing, headlight, car keys cash, first aid, comunications PPE.

And then once I have gotten to there. How do I survive the first day?
water, sleeping, food.

Then the first week.
Hunting, navigation, fishing, water procurement.

Otherwise I create a bag that tries to do everything but winds up doing nothing..

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 pm

drop bear wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 pm
You kind of need a plan first. And then gear for it second.

So say if I hear zombies coming in through the front door. and I had to grab my bag and jump out the window. How do I get the first hundred meters?

And so clothing, headlight, car keys cash, first aid, comunications PPE.

And then once I have gotten to there. How do I survive the first day?
water, sleeping, food.

Then the first week.
Hunting, navigation, fishing, water procurement.

Otherwise I create a bag that tries to do everything but winds up doing nothing..
This is the problem I am having. I *don't* want to *have* to create multiple bags. But why should I grab a bag that is set up for wilderness survival if I am going to go to/be sent to a shelter or hotel room? Maybe two or three basic bags, depending on what the disater is, which will primarily determine my response/action(s).

this makes sense, yeah?

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”