It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Beautiful cats. Post more when you get an opportunity. What other large creatures have you caught on camera? Where (general area) is your uncle’s farm?

My first thought other than the timestamp :/ and the Model 94 Trapper (.30-.30) was how worrisome it must be to raise children in places where there are large, intelligent predators like big cats. But then I think to look at the data (CDC, 10 Leading Causes of Death by Age Group, United States – 2015) and see that unintentional injury, cancer, suicide and homicide greatly outweigh any cat threat. This is not to mention that other predator: The kind, old man that hides nicely in fine dress and public view that secretly wishes to sell candy from his fashionable, corner office, or old van.

Growing up, there was no swimming hole, legal or otherwise, that we did not visit and often after dark. I imagine this is a bit different from those who grow up in gator country. People say you get used to it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am 

Leopard is the only big cat we've dealt with. Lions and cheetahs are pretty much non existent outside game ranches and national parks.
Our farm was located about 100km south of the Zimbabwe border. My uncle's place is about 200km North West of cape town.
I've personally had run ins with hippo, elephant, ostrich, baboons and crocs. Not to mention just about every damn snake in that place! Haha.
True, of all the predators, the one we feared the most, was the unseen and the 2 legged ones. The unseen ones...spider, malaria, balarzia and a host of other niceties. The 2 legged predators are on a different level. Lost many friends and family to the 2 legged variety.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

delarey wrote:
The 2 legged predators are on a different level. Lost many friends and family to the 2 legged variety.

Now if we are talking the 2 legged variety of wild life. I have a LOT of that in my area. NOLA's violent crime rate per capita (@#32) is less than Cape Town (@#9) but higher than Johannesburg (@#47).

http://thehayride.com/2016/01/new-orlea ... th-africa/

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 am 

raptor wrote:
delarey wrote:
The 2 legged predators are on a different level. Lost many friends and family to the 2 legged variety.

Now if we are talking the 2 legged variety of wild life. I have a LOT of that in my area. NOLA's violent crime rate per capita (@#32) is less than Cape Town (@#9) but higher than Johannesburg (@#47).

http://thehayride.com/2016/01/new-orlea ... th-africa/
I've heard some horror stories about crime in NOLA. Hat's off to you for sticking it out! Read your thread about Katrina. Great job surviving it and great write up as well! Thanks...

The crime stats from SA are really screwy.
Cape town is one of the few cities not run by the corrupt ANC. The police is nationalized and run by ANC cadres, so they control how crime is reported and they really dislike the govt of cape town and do everything they can to make cape town look bad.
A robbery turned bad and someone got killed, is reported as a robbery in Johannesburg. The same crime will be reported as a homicide in cape town.
I've lived in both cities...I'd rather take my chances in cape town than Johannesburg any day!
That said, the cape flats (township) is a no.go area. Seriously dangerous, but you need to be a complete moron to end up there...even on accident...like I did hahahaha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk