It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Beautiful cats. Post more when you get an opportunity. What other large creatures have you caught on camera? Where (general area) is your uncle’s farm?

My first thought other than the timestamp :/ and the Model 94 Trapper (.30-.30) was how worrisome it must be to raise children in places where there are large, intelligent predators like big cats. But then I think to look at the data (CDC, 10 Leading Causes of Death by Age Group, United States – 2015) and see that unintentional injury, cancer, suicide and homicide greatly outweigh any cat threat. This is not to mention that other predator: The kind, old man that hides nicely in fine dress and public view that secretly wishes to sell candy from his fashionable, corner office, or old van.

Growing up, there was no swimming hole, legal or otherwise, that we did not visit and often after dark. I imagine this is a bit different from those who grow up in gator country. People say you get used to it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am 

Leopard is the only big cat we've dealt with. Lions and cheetahs are pretty much non existent outside game ranches and national parks.
Our farm was located about 100km south of the Zimbabwe border. My uncle's place is about 200km North West of cape town.
I've personally had run ins with hippo, elephant, ostrich, baboons and crocs. Not to mention just about every damn snake in that place! Haha.
True, of all the predators, the one we feared the most, was the unseen and the 2 legged ones. The unseen ones...spider, malaria, balarzia and a host of other niceties. The 2 legged predators are on a different level. Lost many friends and family to the 2 legged variety.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

delarey wrote:
The 2 legged predators are on a different level. Lost many friends and family to the 2 legged variety.

Now if we are talking the 2 legged variety of wild life. I have a LOT of that in my area. NOLA's violent crime rate per capita (@#32) is less than Cape Town (@#9) but higher than Johannesburg (@#47).

http://thehayride.com/2016/01/new-orlea ... th-africa/

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 am 

raptor wrote:
delarey wrote:
The 2 legged predators are on a different level. Lost many friends and family to the 2 legged variety.

Now if we are talking the 2 legged variety of wild life. I have a LOT of that in my area. NOLA's violent crime rate per capita (@#32) is less than Cape Town (@#9) but higher than Johannesburg (@#47).

http://thehayride.com/2016/01/new-orlea ... th-africa/
I've heard some horror stories about crime in NOLA. Hat's off to you for sticking it out! Read your thread about Katrina. Great job surviving it and great write up as well! Thanks...

The crime stats from SA are really screwy.
Cape town is one of the few cities not run by the corrupt ANC. The police is nationalized and run by ANC cadres, so they control how crime is reported and they really dislike the govt of cape town and do everything they can to make cape town look bad.
A robbery turned bad and someone got killed, is reported as a robbery in Johannesburg. The same crime will be reported as a homicide in cape town.
I've lived in both cities...I'd rather take my chances in cape town than Johannesburg any day!
That said, the cape flats (township) is a no.go area. Seriously dangerous, but you need to be a complete moron to end up there...even on accident...like I did hahahaha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am 

There are some dangerous critters in this area, but not as scary as the ones in Africa.

Earlier this week I was getting ready to go to work when one of our vendors called. She didn't know I was in Alaska and so when I told her I was trying to figure out how I was going to get past the moose that was laying down next to my car door she didn't think I was serious at first. :lol:

A bear is a more dangerous animal than a moose in the sense that it has more ability to do harm, but I worry about moose more because I run into them at close quarters a lot more often (especially in the winter) and they tend to be a lot more aggressive than bears.

We have a lot of Australian tourists in the summer, and they often ask if I'm worried about bears which blows my mind. A bear is never going to be in my boot, or between my sheets, or any of the zillion other places creepy crawlies can hide. Alaska doesn't have any dangerous bugs or snakes (other than the brown recluse, which is rare).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

People concerns?
Gators, copperheads, water moccasins, rare rattlers, feral hogs, cougars/panthers, fire ants, killer bees.

Livestock or pet concerns?
Coyotes, rare Mexican Red Wolves, bobcats, coons, possums, coatimundi, wild cats and dogs, skunks, eagles, hawks and owls.

Bears are still about 100 miles away but I wouldn’t be surprised if one showed up.

We have coachwhips. That’s enough to scare you to Death

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:03 am 

Main worries here in McKinney, Texas area are the wild hogs and the tiger/lion/elephant/giraffe rescue farm. I just know in a pandemic/SHTF people will be releasing the critters. I had a big bobcat in my backyard, sat there watching me through the patio glass doors, then ambled over and snagged a big rabbit, hopped up on the wooden fence and wandered off just a cool as you please. Of course the batteries in the camera were dead :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

At least SA has the Springboks! (Who play Wales at RFK stadium in DC in June!)

In reading the post about the rescue farm I remembered an incident in Ohio not to far from where I have family living - that made the national news: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/10/ohio-game-farm-large-animals-released-.html so lions and tigers and bears in your AO after a disaster is not that far out.

The loose rule of thumb I was taught was that if all your surface water (ditches, puddles, ponds) freezes over once or twice in the winter than the number of poisonous critters in your area goes down significantly. Sometimes, a bobcat will be spotted and black bears have been known to raid yards for bees and birdfeeders in my area but the biggest danger is probably braindead opiate addicts or thieves. I'll admit to feeling a moment of terror while diving at night because of something big swimming by in the darkness or just because of my imagination. It passes. The only story I recall from friends of mine about being absolutely terrorized by nature happened in Australia. (Note: I have been around the world several times but I have not visited Australia, NZ, Oregon or Washington.) The story came from some buddies that fly Harriers, an aircraft that grunts like to refer to as lawn darts. This squadron of fighter pilots were deployed to Aus. and took a team-building liberty cruise up a river to see the crocodiles. Apparently, or as the story goes, they were drinking beer and cutting up and acting fearless along the rails until the first side of a pork was attached to a pole and put over the side. My buddy, now with American Airlines, says that the sound of the first crocs jaws slamming shut on the pork about 5 feet above the river surface made everyone move to the center of the boat. He said it grew eerily silent until someone spoke up and said, "I want my mommy." LOL. Aus has the skull spider too..